• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

alternative to smartcoils

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I like springs
mk6_999999998.jpg
There's absolutely no way the areas I would need to put springs would be running into anything. And besides, you're not supposed to be fiddling with your loop or your hardware while your machine is on. The most the springs could short out with the machine off and unplugged would be resetting your BIOS.

Captain Slug said:
The most the springs could short out with the machine off and unplugged would be resetting your BIOS.
Guess I really am Old School. We didn't used to unplug it, just turned it off at the PSU. The reason was to keep a good ground and avoid static (especially if you're on carpet) - is that not correct anymore ...?

I don't live in an area dry enough to have any problems with static. I could just flip the PSU switch, but the work table I do computer maintenance on is grounded.

i think ill take a look around for some springs.i looked for them at hd and couldnt find anything flexable enough to use.thx all :)

maxfly said:
i think ill take a look around for some springs.i looked for them at hd and couldnt find anything flexable enough to use.thx all :)
Try springs for screen doors - don't know if they're big enough or not but one spring would probably be good for the whole build. You'll need a set of wire cutters if you don't already have some ...

Who needs Springs ?

Borgy :santa2:

setup.JPG

If you need something you can pick up locally, yesterday, go with the springs.

But, I've yet to find a bend I couldn't make with 7/16" ID 11/16" OD Tygon 3603. Boil it in water and shape it how you need to. And, if it is trying to kink, use some of those little plastic hose clamps to keep it in shape until it cools down and is less pliable.

Here's a pic of the system I put back together last Saturday. In the pic it looks like there's a kink coming out of the G5 but there isn't--it's just the pic. The trickiest bend was actually the one from the pump to the video card, but with hot tubing it molded the way I wanted it to.

Attachments

• 2006-12-19 - 001s.jpg
    2006-12-19 - 001s.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 187
I'm a little late to the party, but i think some 3/4 inside grommets would work nicely, and you could even fill up the gap of the grommet with those tiny neon rubber bands from the hair supply section of wally-world

Hose clamps are another good quick fix if you find yourself in maxfly's predicament.

Otter said:
Hose clamps are another good quick fix if you find yourself in maxfly's predicament.
I've done that before :beer:
Works great!

pic1small.jpg

That was my computer a LONG time ago when I first started watercooling, so don't tell me it is messy, I already know!! :bday:

Back