• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ALWAYS remember to turn the pump on.....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I.M.O.G. said:
Sorry, but that just isn't possible. I don't mean to call you out for lieing, but a CPU overheating cannot take the vidcard, NIC, sound card, and PSU with it... If it was completely kamikaze, it could be possible by some stretch of the imagination for it to take the mobo socket down with it... But thats as far as reality might stretch. The case warping is probably the most over the top.

Unless you mean you had a house fire, and you noticed the mbm5 reading right before you jumped out the window. :rolleyes: ;)

Yeah, I'm going to have to agree with IMOG. First of all, I don't think there is even enough power there to get a CPU to 900 C, even with no thermal dissipation. Case in point, take a look at that Tom's Hardware article where they ripped the heatsinks off CPUs, and measured the temps with laser thermometers:

http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20010917/index.html

Even beyond the physical possibility of a CPU reaching 900 C, there is no way that it would be responsive and report the temperature even after it reached 100-200 C.

Get a Criticool Relay or a solidstate relay
well if i was going to keep this pump bu ti hope that i will be able to get a csp 750 when dtek finally decides to stock them or maybe a via aqua.
if my next pump is an ac pump then i'll probably get a computer controlled relay or wire it into the psu somehow.

greenman100 said:
a little study of physics may be beneficial

no heat dissipation + energy = infinite temperature

While this is accurate, it has no application here... There is plenty of heat dissipation without a heatsink, it just isn't anywhere near teh amount of heat dissipation necessary to keep a CPU at a good temp. There is nothing anyone could do to get even half the temperature mentioned out of a CPU however... I think you probably agree here, but were just making a statement about the false reasoning you noticed. :eh?:

Happend to me once, i just hookedm y pc up after claning it and forgot to turn the pump on, heard a Siren and checked the temps it was 75c and this was my A64

LoL 900c ;)

At that temperature, a drop of liquid metal would have burned through the case, through the desk, through the floor(s) until it hit concrete, and probably would have formed into "penny" shape against the concrete of your house's concrete slab foundation. God help you if your house was on stilts and didn't have a concrete lowest floor ;)

You'd notice if it were really 900c :D

*always* use a relay with AC pumps. It's a cheap insurance. Even if you plan to keep it on 24/24. There are times when you need to turn it off...

Does your BIOS have a shutdown temp setting? It probably does, so go find it and turn it on. I have mine set to shut down if the CPU hits 60C.

Does your BIOS have a shutdown temp setting? It probably does, so go find it and turn it on. I have mine set to shut down if the CPU hits 60C.
yeah it does but just like 2 or 3 days before this happened i flashed my bios and didnt remember to turn that back on :(
it is on now (70, the lowest setting)

*always* use a relay with AC pumps. It's a cheap insurance. Even if you plan to keep it on 24/24. There are times when you need to turn it off...
yeah i understand what u mean but i am wanting to replace this pump with a 12v pump before too long so i would rather not get one til i get my "real" pump if it ends up being an ac pump.

well i mean "cheap", it's less than $2 when you put it all together.. just drop by your nearest electronics store, pick up a 12V/110V relay and 2 diodes (for freewheel).. when i had an AC pump i used a spare circuit board bit (just a few centimeters is enough) that i picked up at work, i soldered everything on that, and it served me well for about 3 years (now i've got a DC pump)

Back