• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Am I able to OC this memory further?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

xZippy

Registered
Info is in my sig, but I'm also adding this image for more info:

Vd4gIxv.png

To be honest, I'm just doing this to get some extra FPS in Dwarf Fortress. I was told that increasing the RAM's frequency increases FPS. In the BIOS, I already brought the DRAM frequency from 666MHz to about 800MHz, and enabled "Performance Mode". This actually did make Dwarf Fortress run better. But trying to go beyond the setting of I think "DDR-1600" just causes Windows to not load, though everything before Windows works fine.

Is there something I'm doing wrong here? The small performance boost I got is alright, but because I'm a human, I'm not satisfied and greedily want more. Can I get more performance any other way or did I hit the limit?

the way that cpuz shows memory speeds is basically halved. So your 799 is all but 1600mhz.
I would try to make that cr 2t a cr 1t and see if that helps. there is also a chance that your ram could run at 8-8-8-24 timings as well. We dont know what ram it is, if you could specify exactly what ram there are many here that could likely tell you what you can expect from it

My RAM looks like this:

PMB6Bb4.png

I only have 2×4GB ones, and both of them are the red one you see in front. Also, I tried changing the 9-9-9 to 8-8-8 and that only caused a "Windows encountered an error and failed to load" thing. I really hope there's a workaround for this because I really want to push the power on these things even further...

I wouldn't count on anything more than 933MHz (1866) 9-11-11 ~1.65V or CL11-13-13 up to 2133. Corsair was using everything in these modules so you just have to try. It's hard to say what IC is there and even if we knew that then IC quality was really random in lower frequency modules.

or CL11-13-13 up to 2133.
I was able to make those numbers work. Thank you.

I'm probably gonna buy more RAM anyway. You guys wouldn't happen to know what would be compatible with my mobo and the RAM I already have that's between $50-$70?

Eh I mean that's asking a lot to identify add in sticks of DDR3 that will be compatible with modules purchased years ago, especially when it's already stated that it could be anything.

The best bet would be to find something rated for identical clock speed and timings to what you're running right now, but nothing is guaranteed in mix-matched memory.

Given DDR3 prices right now, I would simply replace the old sticks with new ones rated to the specs you desire. Your motherbard manufacturer should have a QVL published and G.Skil's webpage also has memory compatibility testing data available on their website which you can search by motherboard.

Theres a good chance corsair still makes those modules. Go to newegg and do a search for those model numders. If your really lucky they may even have them with red heatspreaders.

Back