• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Am I Being Too Cheap With This Mobo?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Zadok

Registered
Hi guys, hey just getting my feet wet here. I had a massive presence on TechIMO, but those guy are toast now. Annoying to have to start all over again!

I posted this elsewhere but maybe didn't ask the right question. This is an upgrade.

I want to be sure I can use this mobo for *light* OCing, bump memory, maybe CPU speed. Needs to run much of Adobe Creative, like P-Shop and AI w/o hiccups light video rendering. And some reasonable gaming.

Proposed new hardware (All NewEgg):

- Intel Core i5-8600K Coffee Lake 6-Core 3.6 GHz (4.3 GHz Turbo) LGA 1151 (300 Series) 95W BX80684I58600K Desktop Processor Intel UHD Graphics 630
$239.99

-ARCTIC Freezer 7 Pro Rev. 2, CPU Cooler - Intel & AMD, Multi-Directional Mount, 92mm PWM Fan
$21.66

- G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2400 (PC4 19200) Intel Z170 Platform / Intel X99 Platform Desktop Memory Model F4-2400C15D-16GVB

->>>> GIGABYTE Z370XP SLI (rev. 1.0) LGA 1151 (300 Series) Intel Z370 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 ATX Intel Motherboard Smart Fan 5, Dual M.2, Amp-Up Audio, USB 3.1, Multi-Graphics Support

System already has high-end PSU, good GPU card, good case cooling, etc.

Thanks guys!

Its a budget board, no doubt, but will happily overclock that CPU to the mid-high 4 GHz range. I'd be more worried about your choice of CPU cooler than the motherboard, honestly. :)

Agreed , at least upgrade that cooler to something in the 120mm range like a CM hyper 212 or similar

Cool, thanks! Any *better* recommendations for a cooler? I've used this one in the past for various builds, runs quiet, runs forever. Copper + air cooling is what I'm thinking, not liquid cooling at this point :)

I have to agree on the cooler, it's more fit for an I5 rather than an I7.
the hyper 212 is a better idea if you don't want to go water.

Like I said the CM 212 is a great cooler for the $$ probably $10 more than the one you have listed.

it's more fit for an I5 rather than an I7.
He does have an i5. But its a 6c/6t i5 from Coffee Lake. ;)

The Noctua NDH-15 is a great cooler, those it costs 3x as much as the Hyper. Depends on how much cooling the OP wants and how much he wants to spend. :)

Make sure you have enough clearance to the side panel to accommodate those taller coolers. What case do you have Zadok?

How about creating a Signature to have your hardware component list travel with every post.

The case for this is an Antec Sonata - still being made looks like

The case for this is an Antec Sonata - still being made looks like

Should have plenty of room for 160 mm tall tower cooler then. How's the ventilation in that case. As I recall, ventilation in the Sonata is not great.

check out the THERMALRIGHT TRUE Spirit 140 Direct. i just read a review about it on tweaktown. for its size its a baaad mofo. it was only a couple degrees away from the noctua ndh-15 at all tested fan speeds for only $45.

Back