• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Am I crazy to use these for a HTPC?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

skidooosl

Hello,

I have really been out of the loop for quite a bit since college. After moving 3 years ago I figure its time to get my HTPC set back up... Would I be massively lacking in any HTPC features using one of the systems below if I run Windows 8 Pro and Media Center?

(old desktop before I moved 5 years ago.... was nice then!)
GIGABYTE GA-MA69GM-S2H AM2 AMD 690G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
1 x AMD Athlon 64 X2 5600+ Windsor 2.8GHz Socket AM2 89W Dual-Core Processor ADA5600CZBOX
Integrated ATI Radeon X1250-based graphics
4 gig DDR2

(current desktop built in 2010)
MSI 890GXM-G65 AM3 AMD 890GX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
AMD Athlon II X4 640 Propus 3.0GHz Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor ADX640WFGMBOX
4 gig DDR3

Would I be better off keeping my current desktop on my desk and throwing a new Mobo, CPU and memory in the older PC or would the x2 be ok for a generic HTPC with Windows 8... Looking at the new A10's if I do as I do not really need high end cards and $$$$$$ is a major issue...

Thanks in advance!

Hi, I would say one the first requirements of a HTPC would be the ability to decode x264 @ 1080p. That dual core cpu seems like it would be enough to do so but you will need to check. My friend's 939 3800+ dual core could not handle 1080p x264 but I am willing to bet your 5600+ will do just fine.

So as long as it can do x264 I would use the dual core for your HTPC. If you do have issues decoding 264 @1080P that motherboard will run newer phenom II quad core CPUs so just get a used phII for it.

Last edited:
^+1.

As Gimedew says, you could change the CPU only for a 945/955 (maybe $80 or less used) if it's not up to the 1080p x264 decoding task.

Back