• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Am I killing the board or bad RMA unit?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

66racer

Registered
Hi, (System specs at bottom)

Not sure where to start but I had an MSI 890fxa-gd70 (amd) board for 6 months in which it was overclocked since nearly day one, all good till recently. This past friday the board failed. Durring prime the system shut down, fans and all, and a burning smell came from the northbridge area. Once out of the case it seemed like the choke below the 8pin power connector, or at least VERY close to that area was the source of the smell, NO visual signs at all on either side of the board of anything at all. The top of the choke had maybe 2-3 dots from heat maybe. Overclock wasnt even "extreme". Just a new setting I wanted to try.

Well I got my rma number monday and picked up the replacement board today and it failed durring prime the SAME way as the last one. This time absolutly no signs, the chokes had no dots. Started the computer, basic function tested, rebooted and applied mild OC settings and prime tested, died in less than an hour and I was only maybe 10mins into prime. Im not sure the replacement was even remanufactured but maybe a "couldnt duplicate issue" and thrown into a white box to be given out. There was a capacitor right above the 1st pcie16 slot than was scratched with a slight dent and a scatch near the bottom of the north bridge heat since from someone removing their video card i guess.

So what the heck, is this bad luck or am I causing the issue? I am suspicious that I have too many fans on the mobo. I have 4 120mm fans for radiators, kuhler 920 pump, and the corsair mem twin fans driven off the mobo. Previously when I was overclocking I only had 2 120mm fans, pump, and mem fans on for a while but recently off, and back on when I added the other 2 fans. Could this be partly to blame? Or should I try a 3rd board before I think the fans are overloading the board. I can at least take 2 120mm off the board which I think I am going to do regardless.

I know overclocking is running outside rated settings but no one buys a board like this to run at stock settings, thats why they advertise all the OC features and even have a clear cmos button on the i/o pannel.

Keep in mind i have done gaming at 4255mhz cpu and 2900ish nb, but wasnt prime stable very long, while the board failed settings where as followed:
overclock that both failed on was 4140mhz (230x18)
nb was aprox 2900mhz 1st failure and 2760mhz (aprox) 2nd time
1.40v cpu vdd
1.25v cpu-nb on 1st failure and 1.21ish on 2nd failure
1st failure had a few other voltage settings up a bit, 2nd failure all others where auto except memory at 1.655v memory spec

power supply is a corsair gs800 watt:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139025&Tpk=corsair gs800
mother board:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130274

setup:
rosewill blackhawk case
Msi 890fxa-gd70 mobo
amd 1100t x6
antec kuhler 920 modded for 2 120mm radiators and resivout
corsair 8GB dominator gt memory 1866mhz 4dimms
msi gtx560ti twin frozr ii
1 corsair f120ssd and 1 7200rpm seagate 1TB drive
corsair GS800 psu
8 120mm fans and twin corsair memory fan that comes with dominator gt memory

So am I causing the issue or a case of bad luck and not to worry? Im really wondering if its the fans, thus why the asus crossfire has so many extra power connections on the board.

Thanks

Been overclocking with buds now for about 13 years. That said, we seldom if ever ran a fan off the motherboard. Now I will say that at the outset of that decade time frame, running the fans off the board was likely less of an issue than today. I say that because the cpus today get their voltage from the +12Volt rail and they did not previously.

However it has been a thing to let the board do board things since we overclocked as hard as we knew how to. Fans ran off the power supply. Still am that way when overclocking.

The thing that makes me surely tell that about how we have always done it is that you say you added fans and such to the mix and then you have run into a problem. If your time/change frame is accurate and the failure seems just about the same as the original problem with the first board. Then I certainly would consider taking at least the added fans from motherboard responsibility.

Yeah gonna take every fan off the board except the antec kuhler 920 and its 2 fans, it gets power from cpu fan slot and a usb slot on the board. Gonna be nervous pushing the boards NB now since it happened twice lol.

Dropped it off today with them, they said they will give me a "new" board but burn/stress test it over night so I can pick up tomorrow. Not sure if its a new one but if it passes an overnight stress test Im happy with that. Been happy with their rma but really wish they could give me the diag as to what failed so I could learn from it.

Back