• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Am I safe?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

skirmish

Registered
First overclock I did back in november of 2011. I did research online but it's been a while and I can't really remember anything. If I over clock my cpu, is it necessary to overclock ram as well? I'm not sure if I did it right. I know it's a bit late, but, how's this?

25618643.png

24602801.png

71824282.png

30233548.png

EDIT: I have pictures, but they're not showing up >.>
EDIT: Fixed

only one way to make sure:

http://files.extremeoverclocking.com/file.php?f=205

Looks like your memory might be running high out of spec, or there's just not enough room to show its 800MHZ and X.XX V specification, so if it is 1600MHZ capable, make sure you got your voltage and timing right for whatever is "on the sticker".

The fact that you booted and took screenshots without crashing shows you are at least in the ballpark. Time for testing (see P95)

You can change your memory divider in your bios to bring the frequency down to the 667mhz from your near 800mhz, look for memory speed. Best performance will be however to have both OCd and find your sweet spot somewhere in the middle like 725mhz via 245 bus x 14multi (3.5ghz) and whatever divider setting gets you around there, then test for stability.

Last edited:
Hmm... well, i think i just want to re-set everything at this point. how would I go about resetting my settings? i tried to click reset in teh bios, but it doesn't change my clock settings.

While you should use your computer and see if you actually get any errors before giving up and go to
Memory Configuration
Memory Clock
This item can be set by the code using [Auto]. You can set one of the
standard values as listed: [400MHz DDR3_800], [533MHz DDR3_1066],
[667MHz DDR3_1333] and [800MHz DDR3_1600]. in the OC tweaker section to set your frequency somewhere between the 667 and 800 after jacking ur bus to 245.

If not:

unplug the power cord, ground yourself, then just to the lower left of the bios battery (looks like a nickel in the bottom right hand corner of your board) is a blue piece of plastic shorting two of three pins. switch it to short the other two, count to 3, switch it back, plug back in, turn on.

Way to be supportive on ocf briansun1 :sly:

Well, i've been using it fro 2 years perfectly fine. i totally forgot i overclocked it..

and yes, memory clock is set to auto

25618643.png

So what's the deal with your 4x multiplier on the CPU?

That's under clocked and running much slower than it should be (stock multi is 14x)

There is a guide to overclocking the Phenom II on this forum. I'd suggest you read through that to get a better overview of what's involved.

If you read the warranty from the cpu manufacturer you will see the warranty is voided when the cpu is overclocked. So Technically overclocking voids the warranty. The fly in the ointment is how vigorously they do or do not enforce their own warranty statements.
RGone...

Actually, since I defaulted the bios settings, i forgot it has a turbo boost feature thingy. I had it turned off originally. Here it is while playing minecraft:

50735174.png

I have been through that guide, but it goes way in depth, and I guess I just wanted to see if it'd make a small performance improvement. But it's almost not worth it as it seems there's so much involved to get it working.

25618643.png

So what's the deal with your 4x multiplier on the CPU?

That's under clocked and running much slower than it should be (stock multi is 14x)

I would assume the OP still has all the power saving features enabled and the computer was idle when the screenshot was taken.

:welcome: to the forum skirmish.
First I would suggest that you read this guide it's very informative and will help you understand the terms we'll be using.http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=596023
It would also help us help you if you put up a signature like you see at the bottom of my post. Listing all your parts in detail helps alot.

I have been through that guide, but it goes way in depth, and I guess I just wanted to see if it'd make a small performance improvement. But it's almost not worth it as it seems there's so much involved to get it working.

It' really not as hard as it seems. I know it can be a bit overwhelming talking about all the different factors involved but once you catch on it's quite easy. Just takes patience and the results will be worth it. :thup:

The guide I listed is really thorough.

238-245 + Del key,arrow key, down arrow key, enter, down arrow key or possibly enter then down arrow key, enter, esc, up arrow key, enter.

come on skirmish, your pasting a screen shot took more effort.

Alright, for now:

Manufacturer: iBUYPOWER
Processor: AMD Phenom II X6 1055T 2.80GHz (originally)
RAM: 8.00 GB
GPU: AMD Radeon HD 6670

I will admit, this wasn't smart purchase. I didn't know much about hardware until I did more research afterwards.

Also, I ran Prime95 for a few hours back when I first started and I felt satisfied.

Then you're safe bro, I'd say you even have around 100mhz safe headroom, so there's your answer and don't be afraid to try out a little higher clock and test that too. If you're stable under stress test load, you're safe, keep going incrementally until a stressed glitch then back up a bit into the safe zone and sit pretty my man.

Alright, thanks for all the help guys. I might tweak a bit more in the future. Oh, and I'm not worried about voiding any warranties. Those expired a year ago and I don't buy any extended warranties because I'm cheap.

Back