• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AM3 future Compatible Motherboard?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nonstop

Registered
Hello, I haven't built an amd machine for a while however I have an aging 939 dual core that I want to update. As I shopped around for a cost effective option for a 2nd computer I'm noticing that if I do a cheap i3 or semi cheap i5 I see that intel is still up to their old tricks by changing the socket ever year.

When I look at AM3 options, I'm hearing there is a potential that AMD's next cpu may use that same socket so I'm thinking of getting something fairly inexpensive cpu wise with amd instead of intel and then dropping in a new cpu later.

Am I on the right track here? Would that work with the new cpu's coming out? Also if you don't mind what would you recommend as an easy overclocker board and cpu wise that would have a lot of overhead. I'm looking at the 965 BE's right now.

Thank you in advance.

The 965 BE is a good value/performance option right now. The next round of AMD chips will use the AM3 socket and likely another generation or two will also since the AM3 socket was just recently released. Upgrade-ability is one of AMD's marketing strategies to retain customers.

Bulldozer will be AM3+ Supposedly, looks like AM3 and 1156 are pretty dead end, I'm in the same pickle, with a slow 939 and looking for some new fastness.

There is no definite word yet on what socket the Bulldozer CPUs will be using. All we have so far are rumors. Bulldozer is the desktop version of the APU architecture AMD has been working on the last couple of years. It's expected Q2-3 2011 with the mobile version, Bobcat, coming in Q1 2011.

The latest CPU's, Thubin, have so far been X6's with a new X6 and a higher-clocked X4 coming out in late September. They are AM3's and will remain that way. Chances are there will be some bargains on the Thubins when the Bulldozers come out next year.

Almost any 890FX chipset board will be a good over-clocker. Everybody has their favorite board manufacturer so take yours and look for their 890FX board ... :)

890FX would OC better than 890GX?
In general, yes, but there is some overlap between the lowest 890FX and highest 890GX. It's not just the chipset that makes the difference. The reason 890FX boards tend to be better is because they also tend to have higher quality parts, especially in the power circuitry where it really counts ...

I´m confused here, I have: m4a89gtd pro/usb3 and a Phenom II x4 955 BE C3 that mobo would help me to reach 4.0GHZ in air? thanks!

Nothing is guaranteed when it comes to overclocking. It' strictly cut-and-try. What you get it what you get.

I´m confused here, I have: m4a89gtd pro/usb3 and a Phenom II x4 955 BE C3 that mobo would help me to reach 4.0GHZ in air? thanks!

My X6 1055t runs to a stable 4GHZ on that board. But as stated by others you enter a bit of a lucky dip when you buy components for an overclock.

My X6 1055t runs to a stable 4GHZ on that board. But as stated by others you enter a bit of a lucky dip when you buy components for an overclock.

I think I ´ll be open a topic for some recommendation of coolers thanks! and congratulations:clap:

Back