• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AM3 future proof questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Massimo

Hi Guys

I just have a quick questions. I would like to know if anybody knows what the liklyhood of amd changing sockets in the near future? I am thinking of upgrading and going from an intel q6600 to a amd 965 black, the only thing holding me back is weather ill be able to upgrade the cpu with the next line up from amd with out changing mobos?

Thanks guys.

I tihnk they will stick with am3 for the next few years, but my prediction is they might change sockets sometime in 2012 or 2013. AMD is trying to maintain the same socket.

at least two years . . .

I think AMD has settled down for awhile.
AM3 is a good platform. ( I could give a *&^%!! what Intel does.)
I wish I'd waited two weeks when I bought my last MB. I feel like I was the last guy on earth to not know that 939 was going away.
Anyhow, I was more careful on this buy and feel pretty good about spending the money on an Asus 790X chipset MB (EVO)
Asus builds good stuff so this upgrade will live very long. Meanwhile my dual-core 939 system runs great too.
Pete

I tihnk they will stick with am3 for the next few years, but my prediction is they might change sockets sometime in 2012 or 2013. AMD is trying to maintain the same socket.

Yeah I agree with this, They are supposed to release new cpu's to go with the newer cards this year or next year and I dont see see them changing for awhile untill it is really needed.

Back