• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AM3+ Turbo Function ontop of Overclock.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Lordred

Registered
First off, hello. I just joined this forum so I would like to start up a few different discussions on things I have had difficulty getting input on before.

I also like to utilize C1E, C&Q, Spread Spectrum, and C6 as I like that the CPU mostly shuts itself down while in a idle state.

I would like to see if any of you have attempted to run default voltage overclocks, while having Turbo mode running in tandem. It is one of the things I have been testing out with my FX-4100 as while most programs can utilize 4 threads or more fairly well these days, there is still a handful of programs which sadly only execute on a single thread, or perhaps only two.

In the name of performance I want the best of both worlds, I do not like running high voltages for 24/7 overclocks so I began playing with the turbo function a little more since its inception on the AM3 E0 stepping.

Now I can gain marked improvements on my FX-4100 in single threaded programs by running it at 4400mhz 1.325v / 4800 1.4 boost state. There is just one catch, on my board, or more specifically on my board and chip combo, in order to use a turbo state greater then 1x multi I need to use APM (application power management).

This is where I run into the negative effect, while everything is stable and does its job correctly, i lose out on the multithreaded performance a little as while the CPU is under load, APM will randomly throttle one of the FX's integers down from 4400 -> 3300 then right back up, and will do this randomly across all of the threads while working on the work load.

But when I get to the single thread, or dual thread workload two threads will idle at their proper 1400mhz while two buzz away at 4800mhz

Findings.

CPB/APM Off @ 4400

CPB/APM On @ 4400/4800

CPB/APM On @ 4400/4800 (with multithreaded loads causing 3300mhz fluctuation)

Anyone else test something like this out?

Do you have or are you using LLC? If so, I wonder how this would factor into your equation. LLC enables you to supplement voltage under load when it is needed for stability but not add much at idle when it is not. I don't know if it is available when Turbo is active, however. I always turn Turbo off.

Sounds like a valid question, I am using a ASRock 990FX Profesional. For these tests and 24/7 opperation I am using 100%LLC (LLC on the ASRock is backwards, 100% = Vdroop and disabled = Vrise)

The system is fully stable with this configuration, the other option is that I could simply bring the FX up to 4800-4900mhz for full time opperation while keeping C1E,C6 and C&Q enabled, but I would rather accomplish this though the turbo function as I can get those speeds with lower voltage, cooler temps, and for multi threaded workloads 4400mhz 1.325v is more then fast enough.

I am interested in what you find out here, the Turbo is a bit of a mystery to me too. I have not noticed any difference having it on or off. I have left it mostly on, and I have never seen it kick into 2 core mode ever.

Good to see you here by the way.

Lordred said:
APM will randomly throttle one of the FX's integers down from 4400 -> 3300 then right back up, and will do this randomly across all of the threads while working on the work load.

Are we sure that is APM or is it the windows scheduler? If you have Win 7 are you running the patches? THEY claim Win 8 will be better at putting the load onto the FX modules, so have you tried Win 8. I have my doubts that with Win 8 actually nearly done by the time of FX series, that M$ will have changed a lot to benefit the FX series, but it might be worth a look-see.

Yes I do have the windows 7 hot-fix's and I am certain it is APM which causes this irregularity. As with APM disabled multi-core workloads are unaffected, however I lose the functionality of Turbo mode. It may boil down to a limitation of the ASRock board I am using.

As requested I have filled out the request information in for use in my signature.

Back