• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD 1800x Broken??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MaddMutt

Now that I've had a day to reflect on my OC experience, I'm sure I borked my CPU.

I had applied the TIM and had booted to warm it up. I forgot the time and had the computer shut down on me. I immediately rebooted and got the quick BIOS boot screen, at the bottom it said "CPU OVERHEAT WARNING"
I gave the CPU\POT 15~20 min to cool down before I started benching. If I left the CPU\MOBO in the auto config, it would boot and run normally. I could not changed 1 thing in the BIOS without it messing up the base clock. I could not change the multi, bclk, cpu power, ram ratio, ram voltage, ECT..ECT..ECT. The computer would base boot @ 4.0-4.8 and Mem 2400-3600. In windows though I would have a CPU with a speed of 555.00 with a multi of 5.5.
^ This just happened while I was messing with the BIOS. I was trying to get to 2 cores on boot for superpi.
Did I mess up my CPUs power states. IIRC when any of the things I mentioned gets change, the CPU switches into OC mode.
^ Before this happened I was benching @4.6xx and Mem @3.xx depending on my BCLK.

Thank You For Your Time :)

Quick way to find out might be to reset your BIOS, pull the power cable and mobo battery and let it chill for a few minutes.

I'd even re-flash the BIOSif the clear doesn't work like Kenrou suggested. Typically if a cpu is toast it's toast and doesn't work at all

I followed the advice :) I even flashed to the latest BIOS (3008).
When I OC now I get the following at the basic BIOS boot screen. The display is the basic 3600GHz with whatever I have put the BCLK @. It will display 3642~3676 as my speed. When I enter Windows 7, CPU-Z now tells me that I'm @ 4676GHz. A few days ago, it would tell me that I was running @ 555.00MHz. The software that I tested back then also ran @ 500.00MHz :( Now the software runs at the speed reported by CPU-Z :)
I tested the computer with an HD 6970 also on Dice. The HD 6970 (MSI Lightning) has a CB around -40c :( I have never worked with a part that has a CB, so I will put this one to the side until later.
I'm going to try again today :thup: I will be using a EVGA 1080 Classified on Dice. I hope to get some good Boints from my runs :)

Some of the newest bios RELEASES gave erroneous speeds in Windows. Try 1701 with flashback. That might get rid of the odd readings

Get an intel many core CPU if you want VGA boints. ;)

^ I already have a beat around z170 & 6700K for quick AIR benches before I go cold with the video cards. You guys have been moving me closer to the dark side :( I got an Intel CPU\Mobo and just bought last month an NVidia EVGA 1080 video card.
So what did I do for X-Mas.... I buy an Asus DCII 680 :( You guys are starting to become a BAD Influence on an AMD Lover. :)

^ I already have a beat around z170 & 6700K for quick AIR benches before I go cold with the video cards. You guys have been moving me closer to the dark side :( I got an Intel CPU\Mobo and just bought last month an NVidia EVGA 1080 video card.
So what did I do for X-Mas.... I buy an Asus DCII 680 :( You guys are starting to become a BAD Influence on an AMD Lover. :)

I used to love my amd systems (miss my 2400+m socket a ) back when it was getting the same performance (as a stock intel) for less $ , but once I started benching ( and really after conroe ) I haven't gone back I get a 1.3ghz oc on my intel vs 300-500 oc on Ryzen .
Really I cant justify buying any thing new as I wont get any noticeable gain in any game I play . (well maybe bf1 on ultra with 200% scaling might do a bit better but not worth it IMO)

Don't hate coming to the dark side , Its a fun new experience to not crashing @ 90 deg =)

I'm hoping that the new AM4 boards with the new CPU, have more PCIe lanes :) I'm starting to get deeper into the dark side with these NVidia cards that I'm benching :)
I have moved up in the ranks since I started back benching :)
I can't wait for the get-together in summer :)

Back