• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD 3000+ or 3200+ or X2, cant decide.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mkid

So, I have a venice 3000+ and wanna overclock n stuff.
So far the plan is to grab some g.skill ram
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...2E16820231024,N82E16820231021&SubCategory=147
off of newegg that's clocked at 2*250 mhz (pc4000) and grab a DFI nf4 sli board
Then the plan is to overclock my current 3000+, but i have the opportunity to sell my 3000+ for ~ 130 bux (if you think this isn't an accurate price plz lemme know) to a friend.

Think i should sell it and grab a 3200+ for not much more, or grab a dualcore cpu?

the 3200 has a 10x multiplier while mine has 9x.
So, if the ram runs at 250, i can increase the clock on the cpu to 250 and have them run in sync for maximum performance. the 10x multiplier will gimme an overclock of 10*250 = 2.5 ghz, while the 3000+ will give me 9*250 = 2.25 ghz.

What are the multipliers on the dual cores and 3500+ and other cpus?
Which one will gimme a lot of bang for my ram.

of course this is all assuming i cant get my ram to go past 250, which it probably will be able to, but no idea on how far.

this rig will primarily be used for gaming and compiling code.

-tia
mkid

The X2 3800+ has x10 multiplier, the 3500+ has x11 multiplier, the Opteron 165/170/175 have x9/x10/x11 multipliers respectively.
Now there is no "in sync" with A64s. The memory speed is always async, as its derived from CPU speed and not HTT.
So there's no point in getting a higher multiplier CPU if you can just use a higher RAM divider and getting the HTT way up there.
I would recommend you get a dual core CPU if you're going to sell your Venice, I wouldn't bother selling a 3000+ and getting a 3200+ instead, there's no point.

3700s are pretty nice, im testing mine at 274x11, or 3014 on the uguru panel, with 1.575v atm :beer:

Edit: back to 273x11, 1.575, im scared to give it 1.6v :(

Last edited:
c627627 said:
According to this: AMD stops production of Socket 939 Opterons, you should consider buying a Socket 939 single core or dual core Opteron today, while you still can.

I would agree with this

But I got a 3800 X2 running at 2700 P95 stable. paid 279 for it on a Fry's Black Friday deal I thought this might be a "gimme" but some are saying this is not so a more realistic expectation might 2500-2600MHZ overclock.

I would not get any other X2 if i wanted my MHZ free by overclocking. I don't think the bang for buck ratio is worth it.

Ya gotta be a gambler to play the overclocking game, right?

The Coolest said:
I would recommend you get a dual core CPU if you're going to sell your Venice, I wouldn't bother selling a 3000+ and getting a 3200+ instead, there's no point.

I would have to aggree here. the small step up in MHz just wouldn't be noticable, exept in those benchmark thingys.

And dual core will practicly double the speed of compiling code.
:santa:

Definitely go for the dual cores, great for everyday usage and will soon be better then single cores in gaming. The Opteron 165 is about $50 more then the X2 3800+ now, but the extra cache and OCability may be worth that $50.

darksparkz said:
Definitely go for the dual cores, great for everyday usage and will soon be better then single cores in gaming.

What you mean 'soon'? Last we heard was after 2007. Two years is not 'soon.'

Until 2007 or thereabouts, dual-core will be a frill. A nice frill, but still a frill. Frills by definition are not must-haves, especially when dollars decide.

What you really need to ask yourself before buying a dual-core is, "How often do I or could I do more than one big thing at the same time?"

If the answer is "almost never," then this probably won't be for you for a couple years. If, on the other hand, you often stop doing other things just to let the machine do one big task, this annoys you, and you're willing to pay to make that stop, well, this is for you.

The one thing you ought not to do is argue about it, because the right answer really all depends on how one uses his or her computer...

http://overclockers.com/tips00817/

Ed also said:
"We now live in a day where a $350 CPU is called a bargain... Did you all get rich when I wasn't looking? Somehow I doubt that. Who is buying this stuff????"

Last edited:
c627627 said:
:)

Of course, the word 'games' means in quantity, you know, as in 'the majority' or 'most popular games.'

You are correct that there are games that exist now that support dual cores. If there weren't, AMD/Intel would pay somebody to make them, just so they could say that there are games that support dual cores now. :) Oh wait, did they already kinda sorta do that? :)

But it is a current estimate or educated guess that it will be way after 2007 when we will have most games on the list of Top 50 best selling games that would support dual cores.

How many games on the Top 50 list today support dual cores? What percentage of the best selling games will really support dual cores by design in 2006?

How about 2007? It might be into 2007 when we'll really start to see dual core support by design (not some driver tweak, etc.)

Of course dual cores are 'better.'

But if you are only playing a game and doing nothing else, and if you are concerned with squeezing every last drop of performance from your system while you are playing the most popular games in the past couple of years and in the next couple of years, then single core will probably overclock more and thus give you that, by which it is a different question if you can really 'feel' the difference and if overall, single or dual core is 'the way to go.'

Back