• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD 555

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Time-Bandit

Hi all,

Ordered another chip for a backup machine trying to go for on the cheap ordered me a 555 2 core just curious if anyone else has this chip and what their success was unlocking additional cores?

Cheers,

Bandit.

They overclock like champs. Unlocking to 4 cores stable has less than a 50% chance.

50% is worth it for $15 bux worst case scenario i'll buy a 960T rates the same or less on those ones?

Also is stablity testing required or its just they unlock they work?

Last edited:
50% is worth it for $15 bux worst case scenario i'll buy a 960T rates the same or less on those ones?

Also is stablity testing required or its just they unlock they work?

Personally, I have an unlock rate of about 70% with the 960T. About 10 chips total. Also your overclock with the 960T is about 3.8Ghz in most cases. If you get lucky you can hit 4.0Ghz across all six cores but that's kind of rare.

I would recommend the 960T over the dual core 555 every day of the week.

Already ordered the 555 prior to posting here mainly because it was cheap and it would at least get my machine back up and running to I can get it installing games while im off elsewhere in the house. I figure if I get no extra cores from this chip I will consider getting a 960t or perhaps a fx 6300 or something along those lines. I am considering getting rid of the back up machine to do a smaller build in one of those realan cases off aliexpress and using w/e chip I end up with in it.

Looking at this case will then need to find a cheap 2nd hand board that will actually fit the case but as of right now the shipping costs almost as much as the case.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Rea...lgo_pvid=4898630f-2b27-4ce8-8e34-9af1eb396c48

If you're just looking for a chip to use, rather than bench for points, the Phenom II hex cores are great chips. I've been running a 1045T in my back up with great performance (for its uses) and really nice temps. I currently have a FX 8370 in it because I'm gaming and using it for daily driving, but as soon as my main mobo gets back from RMA I'll be dropping the hex core P II back in it. For email, browsing, and streaming video from Amazon it rocks. Nice and snappy on a lightweight W7 Pro install.

Personally, I have an unlock rate of about 70% with the 960T. About 10 chips total. Also your overclock with the 960T is about 3.8Ghz in most cases. If you get lucky you can hit 4.0Ghz across all six cores but that's kind of rare.

I would recommend the 960T over the dual core 555 every day of the week.

^ I've got a 1100T that did 5Gs on Dice :) http://hwbot.org/submission/2966668_maddmutt_superpi___1m_phenom_ii_x6_1100t_be_13sec_852ms - It's also currently for sale - listed in the Sale section :thup:

If you're just looking for a chip to use, rather than bench for points, the Phenom II hex cores are great chips. I've been running a 1045T in my back up with great performance (for its uses) and really nice temps. I currently have a FX 8370 in it because I'm gaming and using it for daily driving, but as soon as my main mobo gets back from RMA I'll be dropping the hex core P II back in it. For email, browsing, and streaming video from Amazon it rocks. Nice and snappy on a lightweight W7 Pro install.

Yeah thats what I have seen from looking around the FX quads v Phenoms the Phenoms seem to come out on top. Looking at 6 cores just for the sake of future proofing and being able to get a bit more life out of the machine if I stick with what I have par changing CPU ofc. Question is, is it worth getting the 960T and hoping I can get at least 1 extra or 2 extra cores. Tbh I'd be happy just getting 1 extra core since the price on those CPUs vs the FX quads are abit cheaper not to mention if I do some how get lucky and unlock 6 cores abit cheaper after currency conversation of a Phenom v a FX 6 core.

Essentially just having the spare machine to play NFS, Dragon Ball, Tekken and w/e Final Fantasy titles I have available the non single player stuff just for when people visit. GPU is a Radeon 7790 I believe (free gear and I can't recall exact model).

Honestly, I'd use my 980 BE before I'd get a FX quad. I want to get a FX quad at some point for benching, but for use in my secondary rig I'm happy with the AM3 chips I have.

If your 555 is a date of 1004 there is a good chance it will unlock and be stable because that was the date/batch AMD made a good deal of them as X2's even though all cores were good - To keep with the demand for the X2's with the Phenom II line and the newer stepping. That's the info I got a long time ago and it seems to be true.

Have one that's a 1004 date myself and it unlocks fully and is stable.
Others of a later date are more like as described, not too many aside for the date I gave will unlock and be stable enough to use.

However my 960T and 1100T chips are better and both have either been right at or topped 5.0 on DICE, I know my 960T has hit 4.7 on chilled so it's a very good chip BUT is kinda wonky when unlocked.

My 555 unlocked no problem. Overclocked no problem. But never both at the same time and stable.

If your 555 is a date of 1004 there is a good chance it will unlock and be stable because that was the date/batch AMD made a good deal of them as X2's even though all cores were good - To keep with the demand for the X2's with the Phenom II line and the newer stepping. That's the info I got a long time ago and it seems to be true.

Have one that's a 1004 date myself and it unlocks fully and is stable.
Others of a later date are more like as described, not too many aside for the date I gave will unlock and be stable enough to use.

However my 960T and 1100T chips are better and both have either been right at or topped 5.0 on DICE, I know my 960T has hit 4.7 on chilled so it's a very good chip BUT is kinda wonky when unlocked.

B series Phenom II's also unlock well and are good OC'ers (in the right hands).

Back