• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD 6300 4.4ghz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ryanbas21

Registered
Hey guys, I have browsed these forums over the years but just made an account to ask a question. This is my first "big" overclock. i've oc'd smaller amounts but with this cpu I see i have a chance of getting my speed up quite a bit.
Right now i am trying to stablize 4.4ghz but after about 5 hours of a small ffts prime 95 test my computer freezes. My temps froze at 48c so i know my temperature isn't the issue. I am leaning towards that maybe my cpu isn't getting enough power during the test.
Specs:
AMD 6300
8gb Kingsington blu ram 1333mhz ddr3
1 ATI Radeon 7790 ASUS 2gb
Noctua NH-u9b with 2 fans exhausting out the top
Fractal Design R4 with 3 intake fans 2(120mm) 1 140 and 3 outtake 2 at the top of the case 1 at the rear being 140mm and the 2 top are 120mm
Corsair CX 750w PSU
Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P ATX AM3+ Motherboard

CPU: ID 1wDAaOg.jpg

in bios i have the power management settings changed to allow it most power (blanking on term for some reason) Cool and Quiet disabled

If anyone has any advice it would be appreciated because my temps are so low i'd like to get the most out of the cpu

I can run prime95 when i go to class and post a picture (provided it doesn't freeze) of the temps wwhich would be about 3 hours of testing or so.

With the bus speed at 215 you are more then likely overspeeding the ram.

I would try to get some higher speed dims(2) and try again.

All on same page with enough information...

Makes answering about overclocking an AMD cpu easier.

In bios disable C1/E, C6, Cool N Quiet, TurboCore (if there), Disable APM and in windows power manager set to "performance mode". Then do as below.

CPU Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

Memory Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

SPD Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

And this is screen capture of HWMonitor (free version) from CPUID com
HWMonitor has been scrolled enough and large enough to show Min/Max of Voltages and includes the CPU Core Temps; which are n0w called Package Temps, fully visible.

This capture is made of HWMonitor after it has been open on the desktop logging Min/Max temps and voltages while Prime 95 was running Blend Mode test on all cores for at least 20 mins and then the capture of HWMonitor was made and it shows the Min/Max temps and voltages before P95 Blend was started and while running P95 Blend mode and gives much greater insight into how the system is performing without guessing.

attachment.php

In order to attach screenshots of INDIVIDUAL images as suggested, first crop and capture the images with Snipping Tool found in Windows Accessories or equivalent. Then click on Go Advanced, a button at the bottom of every new post window. Then click on the little paperclip tool at the top of the Advanced post window when it opens. Clicking on the paperclip tool brings up the file browser/upload tool and the rest is fairly obvious.

How to actually attach images to the forum and not use a link to some outside location where image is stored. Store the image within the forum.
attachment.php

You can attach more than 3 pics at one time by going back up to browse another file and uploading it.

The attach a file button that is embedded into the site is not working for me, i apologize for using outside links. I had went back and lowered the fsb back to normal and adjusted the cpu multiplier to achieve 4.4ghz. I will post a prime when i get back from class. I don't have time at the moment but i'll give you guys the other screen shots of my CPUID/adjusted CPU tab now.
qn3SZad.png
aTcLhHe.png
AS4q1Lh.png

Increase your NB Freq multi from 10 to 12. It should match the HT Link speed.

Increase your NB Freq multi from 10 to 12. It should match the HT Link speed.

I think for now he's fine the way they are. We can pick those up later, along with the ram if need be. Need to get the core speed settled out first.

ryanbas21. No need to set your FSB back to stock. The trick is to lower the memory starting frequency as well as the HT LInk and NB frequencies since these things are tuned to the FSB and rise with it. The best overclocks are hand when using a combination of the FSB and the multiplier. Yes, more complex but the best approach. For instance, if your ram is rated for 1600 mhz then start it at 1333 in bios, lower the HT Link from 10x to 8x and the CPU/NB from 10x to say 9x. Then start increasing the FSB in 5-10 mhz increment, monitoring temps and voltages with HWMonitor and stress testing with Prime95 for 20 minutes after each increase. When you start failing the Prime95 stress test it's time to take a look at why and make some adjustments to frequencies and/or voltages of the above mentioned parameters. I always try to get the FSB up to a range that brings my memory frequency back up to it's factory rating.

This is after 25mins of Prime Blend Test. No failure on cores which is good. this is all multiplier, so perhaps if this is stable then i can work on increasing the fsb from its stock which is what it is at now. Let me know what your guys advice is on the next move, also sorry i started the temp apps a little late, but it idles around 15-20c.
8ypf3vw.png

Last edited:
Your temps are fine at this point but if add more CPU volts to go for a higher overclock your temps will also go up. Generally, you can get by with a little less voltage when you use a combo of the FSB and the multiplier and that's why we do it that way. You want to aim for keeping CPU socket temps below about 70c and the package temps below about 60c. You probably ought to be switching over to longer Prime95 stress tests (say, 2 hr.) to confirm stability. Twenty minutes is good for tentative purposes and is time efficient on the front end of the OC process.

Idle temps are not very useful anyway. They almost always give a false report on the low side. The calibration is done so as to give the accuracy on the higher end of the operating temp range.

question one, how do i check the socket temp?

I will run a prime test tonight before bed, and report back here. thanks for the help so far guys

Rule of thumb for me was to overclock one thing at a time, then try to get them all mashed in together (as others have leaned towards mentioning).

Get the multiplier to have your RAM run its rated specs, then work on the CPU.
Then, when you want to overclock your RAM, try to run the CPU multi not too high, but keep the same voltages you had before. Once you find the clocks to stabilize for your memory and CPU, then try to combo them up. And lastly, you can do the same for your video card by doing the memory and GPU separately.

In the end, you combo them all up.

The CPU socket temp on Gigabyte boards is usually TMPIN2.

sweet, so if i run a 2 hour prime blend test, and everything okay's what would you reccomend tweaking to get 4.5? lower my ram speed and increase the fsb? would i need to tweak to ram voltage?

Please take the system info in Post #1 an make a "Sig" by going to the gray ribbon at the top of the page and clicking on Quick Links and then Edit Signature. That way your system specs will travel with every post you make. It's a common forum courtesy as these threads get pretty long.

If I were you I would go into bios and set the memory back from 1333 to 1066. I would leave your CPU voltage where it is now but start with the multiplier and the FSB at stock values. I would lower the HT Link Speed and the CPU/NB frequency multipliers to 10x. Then start overclocking the FSB in 10 mhz increments, stress test for 20 minutes after each increase. Always have HWMonitor open during stress testing. Keep increasing the FSB in 10 mhz increments until you cannot pass a 20 minute Prime95 stress test. Then back the FSB off by 5 mhz and retest. Add a little voltage to the CPU if necessary to stabilize it. When you hit a wall, post back with pics of HWMonitor and CPU-z pics: CPU, Memory and SPD so we can see what your temps, voltages and frequencies look like. The goal would be to get the FSB up to 250 mhz which would put your memory back to 1333 mhz.

In addition, increase your memory voltage from 1.5 to 1.55. Make sure all the green stuff is turned off: Cool N Quiet, Turbo, C6, C1E and APM.

It's bed time for me. I wish you well.

ignore this post, will edit soon. have a few things to fix. starting to understand this process a lot more now.

Last edited:
ignore this post, will edit soon. have a few things to fix. starting to understand this process a lot more now.

But. I. Can't...

By the way, Welcome!

You and I seem to have the same problem although mine was on beefed up hardware, so I'll tune it down a little.

Long story short, for most stability reasons you're going to need to increase voltages. Very rarely will you have to increase RAM timings unless you are using FSB to overclock if they are set properly to begin with.

My best advice (stuff not already stated) would be to find that stability test where everything that you have just works... for like four hours (prime95 blend) and save that BIOS somewhere so that in the event you have to redo it all you won't be second guessing yourself. Then start from there.

"But that takes like four hours"~person

Well, yeah, it's in the name! And if you're overclocking you probably don't need that machine for that long anyways. Set it middle-of-the-road (read: not stock) so that you don't have to worry about overheats (62 C on chip. 72 C on socket) and go do something else for about four hours. When you come back, it should still be running and then write everything down unless you can make an onBIOS profile.

When you finally get to the point in the overclocking when you're like "I'm done", do this again with that overclock and see if it is stable like before. If not, alter it in such a way that it becomes that way and there you go, you now have two profiles to work off of! One just for giggles and the other more sensible for long term 24/7 use.

Good luck. Z__U Warp 5.

After some tweaking i was able to get it to 4.5ghz stable. I think the chip i have won't go any higher than that which is unfortunate because my temps are great but my voltages are not. at just under 1.5v i'm still maxing out at 52c on air. anyways
http://valid.canardpc.com/p70bxk

Thanks for the help. I had to underclock the ram a bit to achieve the 4.5 but was able to get the bus speed to 231 which makes the ram at least close to it's stock speed.

In your opinion, how many volts should i be giving my ram right now? i set it to 1.55v but if i can go lower, i would love to.

What version of CPUZ are you using? Reason I ask is in your validation it shows QPI Link instead of HT Link. QPI link is an Intel's response to AMD's Hyperthreading. This may not be an issue but then again it might be.

Back