• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD 8120 Build/ Idle Temp

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NtheFace

Registered
Just finished my build and could some suggestions havent got to the overclocking phase yet, but could use some suggestions.

ASUS Crosshair V Formula MB
FX-8120 3.1mhz CPU
16gb AMD Performance 1600 ram
Ballistic Ram Cooler
EVGA GTX 570
CoolerMaster Silient Hybrid Gold 850w
Corsair H100 Water Cooler (used arctic silver 5)
Cooler Master HAF 932 Case
Crucial M4 64gb SSD (just for drivers and windows)

Im idling at 40c..that seems high for an idle temp, but i dunno im kinda new to the specifics of running a system, always just put em together and if they worked kudos..

Any suggestions on cooling or the next step i should look into woudl be much appreciated

I got a pic of my set up, kinda messy at the moment need to clean up the wires a bit.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    477.4 KB · Views: 640
what are the temps under load, idle temps actually mean very little, amd is normally 62c max temps.
my 8120 idles at 14c but loaded temps run into the upper 50's

do you have a fan mounted to your case side blowing where your h100 block/pump is?
this airflow has been removed now that you have removed the airflow provided by the old air cooler and the vrm and mosfets get very hot.

+1 for mandrake4565.

Last edited:
Lol, I've CoreTemp adjusted to add another 20C to my temps as it just reports too darn low, unless I've a magic chip which runs below ambient temps.

Judging by the heat that pumps out the back of my case while gaming I judge its not though.

Yah i got a 240mm running at 660+ rpm on the side panel, thinking about switching it out for 4 120mm delta tornado fans. what do you use as cooler/heatsink to have your idle so low.

I have applied arctic silver 5 and used a grain of rice sized dab, and spreaded it evenly with a plastic card. preped the area of both the cpu and the coolers copper slab cleaning it with 91% isopropyl alcohol.

Ok downloaded both those programs.. I also have Prime95 havent used it yet

I've 4x Delta 230CFM fans sitting in my cupboard..... Along with a Sanyo Denki San Ace 260CFM fan..... All are PWM fans..... I think the Sane Ace is the least annoying of them though, it's minimal fan speed is 500RPM

the real low idle temps at are a software glitch, we tend to see it a lot and they really dont matter, it's loaded temps that count.

please do not spread your thermal paste, it causes air bubbles.
a dot between the size of a bb and a small pea is all you need.
tighten the block nice and evenly and it will give you a very nice spread.

do you suggest, i clean and reapply in that fashion, or just stay with how i have it.

Yes, clean and reapply it. Best thing to clean heatsinks and CPUs with is a paper coffee filter. The hard, smooth texture doesn't leave behind insulating fibers like kleenex, soft cloth and paper towels do. Remove the bulk of it with dry ones and then finish with one moistened with rubbing alcohol. Only use a small blob of paste: a little bigger than a BB. Make sure the water block fasteners are tightened evenly when you reinstall it. Go back and forth between each tightener a little bit at a time in a regular pattern.

Nearly the same setup lots of different in the temperature
my system spec
Motherboard=
Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3 AMD 990X Socket AM3/AM3+ SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 DDR3 ATX Motherboard - GA-990XA-UD3
Ram=
Corsair Vengeance LP Blue 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 PC3-12800 1600MHz Dual Channel Kit, Retail - CML8GX3M2A1600C9B
CPU=
AMD FX-8120 Black Editon 8 Core 3.1GHz Socket AM3+ Zambezi 125W CPU, Retail - FD8120FRGUBOX (oc to 4GHZ CPU vid @1.2125 20x200)
Cooling=
Modded H60 1 x 120 rad in a push/pull config & 1 x 240 rad

Have just rearranged my case cooling to try to get better temperature on my overclock with good outcome my thinks
now have 1x 240mm rad and fans in front of case,fans pulling air into case,1x 120mm fan infront of 2 HHDs pulling air over HHds to cool,front rad is connected to a moded H60,the rad on the H60 is setup as a pull/push,pulling the air from the inside of the case/the rad infront of the HHds is inline with the fan on the H60 rad,also have two 120mm fans at the top of the case to expelling air out the top of the case.

here is my idle temperature 10mins after starting my pc

startupl.png

By thetazs at 2012-04-24

And here is the temperature after running prime95 for over 30mins with no errors and no warnings

afterprime95.png

By thetazs at 2012-04-24

and a case tidy to
snapshot of my pc cooling setup
newpicture5vy.png

By thetazs at 2012-04-25

thetazs Those core temperatures aren't correct. Using a H 60 cooler they cannot be below ambient temperature.

thetazs Those core temperatures aren't correct. Using a H 60 cooler they cannot be below ambient temperature.

ALMOST correct. You can't get below ambient using anything shot of hooking up to an air conditioner or extreme cooling.

Sorry Mj i wasn't being specific enough.... i was going to say unless you're using extreme cooling but :shrug: :)

the real low idle temps at are a software glitch, we tend to see it a lot and they really dont matter, it's loaded temps that count.
The loaded temps are wrong too...
So is your 14c idle temp...

Motherboard sensor on ASUS is spot on +-2-5c, confirmed with K-Type bead probe. The built in sensor in the CPUs are -20c below real. Gigabyte boards seem to read 5-10c low as well on their motherboard sensors.

Normal idle values for AMD FX are 30-40c depending on if you are stock with power saving features enabled or CPU is overclocked substantially.

Back