• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD 8120 Build/ Idle Temp

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Sorry Mj i wasn't being specific enough.... i was going to say unless you're using extreme cooling but :shrug: :)

Lol, just one of those things dude. The number of times I'm thinking one thing and manage to type something else entirely is crazy :screwy:

The loaded temps are wrong too...
So is your 14c idle temp...

Motherboard sensor on ASUS is spot on +-2-5c, confirmed with K-Type bead probe. The built in sensor in the CPUs are -20c below real. Gigabyte boards seem to read 5-10c low as well on their motherboard sensors.

Normal idle values for AMD FX are 30-40c depending on if you are stock with power saving features enabled or CPU is overclocked substantially.

Yeah, CoreTemp shows mine at 35C idle, after I told it to adjust for and add an additional 20C :-/

beepbeep2, are you saying then that if I am running a loaded temp of 40c, the actual is 60c?

Most likely. My system runs a load temp of 60-61C in IntelBurnTest when its set to use max resources & running 4GHz. I've adjusted it so that idle temps were realistic, ie 30-35C.

so, should we adjust it to read the same as motherboard temp,witch would be close to room temp on boot?

Yeah, that will bring you close to actual temps. They'll never be spot on but they are a good indicator.

The built in sensor in the CPUs are -20c below real.

You mean when reading from CoreTemp or from BIOS?

I've understood that core temperatures are just estimates, about 20 C below real temperature, there are no sensors on the cores and socket temperature is accurate and the one that matters?

Not quite, there IS a sensor build into the CPU's. It's just that the only purpose it's supposed to serve is to prevent the chip from overheating by clock throttling. Just tell CoreTemp to add 20C to you temps and it becomes roughly accurate.

The temps displayed in the BIOS should be the same as whats showed in CoreTemp.

There is a sensor on the MOBO under the CPU socket, its generally more accurate than the one in the CPU.

According to AMD the max temp for my Thuban is 62c... i have no idea if that's based on the internal sensor or the one on the MOBO, the one on the MOBO always reads 10 - 20c higher, i strongly suspect its that one given that AMD's do not like to much heat.

All i know is (after disabling the auto shut down in the BIOS) the max temps i have ever reached is 74c on the MOBO sensor and 55c on the CPUs internal sensor. that was a short Prime torture test @ 4.3Ghz, all cores passed but i only ran it for 15 minutes.

My CPU is not supposed to be capable of those temps without throttling back like crazy.

One conclusion i have drawn is not to trust AMD's sensors full stop.

Never the less it is not advisable to go over the recommended temps, i certainly would never run my CPU at 4.3Ghz (with those temp readings) for any length of time.

Last edited:
^^^ The last chip I've run where AMD was accurate is my 955BE that now lives in my media centre

OK i have been reading all the post on this thread and have reboot into BIOs and look into pc health status,here is a screenshot of my temperature (CPU/SYSTEM idle)

imag0223u.jpg

By thetazs at 2012-04-27

Loaded windows and started AMD overdrive,CPUID Hardware monitor and easytune 6 and look at the temperature all three programs read the same temperature as in the bios

newpicture6x.png

By thetazs at 2012-04-27

Last edited:
OK i have been reading all the post on this thread and have reboot into BIOs and look into pc health status,here is a screenshot of my temperature (CPU/SYSTEM idle)

newpicture6x.png
[/IMG]

Loaded windows and started AMD overdrive,CPUID Hardware monitor and easytune 6 and look at the temperature all three programs read the same temperature as in the bios

newpicture6x.th.png
[/IMG]

You have a (target = blank) HTML screw up / vBulletin blocked... in your images.

The best thing to do is use the >> Go Advanced WYSIWYG editor and used the (manage attachments) thingy to upload pics to your posts directly from your computer :)

Hello ,Just build new rig 22 days ago..and done some tests.

Here are my temp I HOPE they are OK : in my room is around 20 celzius.

amd8120fx-temps-load.png

Edit:
after 1hour 9minuts.. i stres ALL(can not even browse IE..) with Aida64. I stres Everything i hope those temps are ok:
aida64-stability-test.png

prime test after 2H 19M
prime-test.png

Last edited:
barocco, Welcome, you will probably be better off starting a new thread then posting on one that is 8 months old.

Back