• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD 9370 issues with Crosshair Formula V - Z

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Why, are you looking to build something similar??

Doing well. Some interesting tweaks that I made have changed the thermals of the case quite a bit.

I still have issues with the socket temperature probe however. While stressing it, when that socket reaches around 71 centigrade it throttles. The core temp at that point is around 55 which is acceptable.

I have too much positive air pressure with not enough holes, which may be the issue. I need to redo the rig and modify the case a bit but haven't had the time.

Nice to see you're still around Zephyr, hadn't seen you lately.

Thank you, yes, I am trying to cool the backside of the CPU area and also the front VRMs on a Crosshair V Formula-Z with an FX-9590. I wasn't sure that a small fan on the back would make a difference in the cpu socket temps?

Thank you, yes, I am trying to cool the backside of the CPU area and also the front VRMs on a Crosshair V Formula-Z with an FX-9590. I wasn't sure that a small fan on the back would make a difference in the cpu socket temps?

I think I just responded over at TPU, it really did help for me about 10c worth , I have it blowing on the socket not pulling away. Now I have the board in an open bench but still have a fan under it only now it's a 140mm. The more air the better.

I have too much positive air pressure with not enough holes, which may be the issue. I need to redo the rig and modify the case a bit but haven't had the time.

Just for reference once I got a bigger case courtesy of bassnut . I had about 300CFM+ of air flow, about 340 in and 320 ish out.

I think I just responded over at TPU, it really did help for me about 10c worth , I have it blowing on the socket not pulling away. Now I have the board in an open bench but still have a fan under it only now it's a 140mm. The more air the better.

Thank you very much, I appreciate the information. How did you mount a fan underneath on an open bench?

sauria, as Johan said it does help a lot, I saw around 10c difference mounting a fan on the backside as well. Cooling the VRM/NB heatsinks is also helpful.

Thank you very much, I appreciate the information. How did you mount a fan underneath on an open bench?

Put it this way Red Green would be proud of me :rofl:
If you don't know who that is he loves duct tape. :clap:

Nice to see you're still around Zephyr, hadn't seen you lately.

Yeah, I'm still here. Just haven't been paying much attention lately. :D

As to you Sauria, I'm still trying to figure that part out myself. My prediction is that all the positive air pressure is making my case too hot (cuz all my intake is through the rads :p) and therefore the case ambient gets warm. I have a 750D from corsair with all of my PSU cables in the back of it. Because its non modualr, airflow is pretty tight back there.

The fan DOES help, just not to the point that a huge, tower fan gracing the back of the case does if you know what I'm talking about.

What I plan on doing is cutting some holes in the back of that panel and attatching a bigger fan (either intake or exhaust) and then I'll be happy.

As for the rest of the case I need a more powerful fan for the rear exhaust and then redo my cooling loop fans for less positive air pressure. That might do what I need to do.

But again, college students need money so...

Yes pumping that warm air in isn't the best solution for these hot puppies. Have you thought about an exterior mount.

No problem, sauria.

Exterior mounts aren't ideal for me. I need this machine to be portable easily and quickly, which means it needs to be in the box.

sauria, I have a Blackhawk Mid-tower and I really like it. I know people have commented about build quality on them but I haven't and don't see any issues with mine. My only issue with the Mid tower was that the space on the right side panel was a little tight. With all the cables run back there it was a bit tough to get the door back on. Don't know if the Ultra will have the same issues but if it is as good as the Mid tower, it's worth the money in my eyes. The Rosewill cases usually have more fans standard then comparable cases.

sauria, I have a Blackhawk Mid-tower and I really like it. I know people have commented about build quality on them but I haven't and don't see any issues with mine. My only issue with the Mid tower was that the space on the right side panel was a little tight. With all the cables run back there it was a bit tough to get the door back on. Don't know if the Ultra will have the same issues but if it is as good as the Mid tower, it's worth the money in my eyes. The Rosewill cases usually have more fans standard then comparable cases.

Great to know, thank you!

Actually, now that I have the new ASUS G750 js I think I might look into that external mount. I'll just use the laptop for the moving around part.

Z_U man glad to see you come around. Yes cases and airflow always seem to the point where that little bit more might be just right. I think most of us that have really pushed the 8 cores have airflow onto, away from or in my situation 'across' the rear of the cpu socket since my fan blows from the top of the board down and thus due space restrictions, blows probably a fourth of the air across the back of the board right in line with the socket which aligns the fan blowing at the top of the board...right in line with the VRMs and low on the board. So air to the rear of the cpu socket and of course to the VRM sinks is quite productive in reducing socket temps and keeping the cpus from throttling under really heavy load.

Again, nice to hear from you Z_U. Rock those grades man.
RGone...ster.

Thanks all. I decided to get this case: Cooler Master 690 II Advanced USB 3.0 version. It looks like I can easily cool the hot spots. This version has the huge enlarged CPU cooler cutout. The back door supports an 80 mm but I may modify that. The two fans on the other side should blow both on the GPU and VRM area well.

Back