• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD APU A10 pink graphics

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Spidie2000

Registered
Hey everyone, I'm pulling my hair out on a new build and I'm wondering if anyone has any advice. I just built my first ever AMD to use as a media center PC. I am usually an Intel guy but the APU seemed like a good option for media center.

Here are the specs
AMD A10 5800K APU
Asus A85-M Pro motherboard
2x4GB Gskill Sniper Series DDR3 2133 RAM
Windows 7 pro 64 bit

Upon initial boot everything looked fine, but after I installed the AMD chipset drivers provided by ASUS my window no longer fills my screen and puts a pink border around the screen. What is worse is there is a pink tint to everything on the screen. I've never seen anything like this before, I'll take a photo or put a video on youtube if it will help.

So, If I uninstall all the drivers and use windows default it looks fine, of course then I have no HDMI audio output. I've tried downloading current drivers from Asus website and AMD, both give me the pink doom. I also updated the BIOS to the most current version from the ASUS website.

I'm wondering if anyone has any options I might try before I start leaning towards hardware failure here. Appreciate any thoughts.

I have seen such on a discrete video card that was 'failing'. Load the driver so the card was put into do real work mode and some craziness ensued. Remove the video driver and don't push the video card and all was pretty much okay. So I too lean toward hardware failure.

You might try and clear the CMOS and load defaults so the video section should be minimal settings; then load the chipset drivers which are usually within the ATI video drivers and see if the situation improves and if not it seems hardware problem to me for sure.
RGone...

I will give it a try, but it was doing this from the get go on a brand new build so I'm not sure if CMOS defaults will do anything. If it is hardware failure are we thinking its the APU or the mobo then? I would guess it would be the APU.

Since the video is actually within the APU, I would say APU.

One other thing about CMOS clear. Over the course of many years, I would jumper the CMOS to the clear position and even remove the battery during setup of the system and then install the battery and jumper CMOS back to the run pins. That way when put together fully, I know everything should be in state of readinees for the parts and pieces that I am actually using. Just one of those things I learned a long time ago about system building. Is such necessary? I would say not, but it is also not a bad idea.
RGone...

What video connection are you using? If it's VGA, it's likely a cable issue.
If it's a digital connection, clear the BIOS, remove the drivers and install the current APU drivers from amd.com.

its an HDMI connection going through my Onkyio receiver to the TV. I will try your suggestions tonight when I get home.

Last edited:
You may want to try and connect it directly to the TV just to rule out the receiver.

Back