• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD APU HDMI. How many channels of audio?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hongus

Registered
Hi, I'm trying to build an HTPC with an AMD APU. Since it's for movie purposes it must have at have surround sound through the HDMI. If I were to use an APU with a motherboard that has HDMI out, how many channels of audio would I get through the HDMI?

Also, this is my first time building with an APU, it can play blu-ray smoothly right?

APU should be fine with BluRay.

HDMI is a digital signal. Sound only gets split into channels after its converted into an analog signal. It has however many channels the source file has.

Last edited:
HDMI transports audio via a digital packet. But the packet itself can contain various audio formats, including uncompressed multi-channel audio streams (in a digital format of course).

That being said, just look to see which format of HDMI it supports. I think 1.3 or higher should be the minimum it offers to ensure the most feature support. HDMI 1.4 for 3D Blu-Ray if you plan on watching 3D movies.

1. A good board and a late AMD APU will play blu-ray smoothly.

2. HDMI is an odd situation. There are variables that govern what is sent over HDMI. In general the output is 'stereo' only.
A. Dolby and the like that have multiple channels has to be paid for and it is not paid for on just any motherboard. You would need a decoder.

B. There are some year old or maybe less digital receiver/amps that will apparently do some sort of handshake with the HDMI out and then give 5.1 surround.

So based on what I have read, the sound out over HDMI is best thought of as stereo. I have not looked at all the forum sections but if there is an audiophile section, I would guess a better answer would come from that section. This is cpu section and 99% of the communication is about overclocking.

I also think in the 'end' you will have to decide on the brand and model of motherboard and 'then' find out what that setup itself will actually do. It will change from motherboard to motherboard is what seems the case.

Okay guys if you can take it from here. The ice is broken.

Back