• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD Athlon-64

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Ah well...a names a name. I really don't care what it's called, I just want to see how it performs :D. The 400MHz fsb sounds good, and running it with DDR-II sounds really good. Another thing I'd like to see though, is how much they will cost :(

Last edited:
Tipycol said:
Ah well...a names a name. I really don't care what it's called, I just want to see how it performs :D. The 400MHz fsb sounds good, and running it with DDR-II sounds really good. Another thing I'd like to see though, is how much they will cost :(

Thats something I really want to know! I hope it has simular prices to what Athlon had when it first came out which was still cheaper than Intel's prices! :)

2.0GHz = 3400+

2.4GHz = 3800+

2.8GHz = 4200+

im confused isnt the 2600+ clocked at 2ghz? so how is the 3400+ at the same speed? diff bus speed?

There is more to how fast a processor is than its clock speed or bus speed. The hammer chips have an on die memory conroller that will theoretically greatly reduce the ammount of latency from memory to the proccessor. Also the Hammer has several other optimizations in its TLB as well as more cache; not to mention the on die controller would allow the systems main memory to act like a big set of off die cache. Albiet running at a much slower speed than the proccessor.

Woooo! This has potential. 2.8 ghz AMD, HT technology and integrated memory controller! Now they need to work on cooling...

Now they need to work on cooling...

They did help with cooling. The hammer will have an intigrated heat spreader as well as use SOI wich greatly reduces its thermal output. So much infact that it can achieve 15% less watts of heat at same clock speed i believe.

If they get the speeds and memory management they say they will, they might just get back on track. Just to clarify, what chip are they talking about? I've never heard of Athlon 64 until now.

Is it Barton? Opteron?

Well Anandtech got a chance to play with an AthlonXP 64 running at 1.4ghz and they said it performed about the same as an xp2200 or P4 2.2, granted they only ran 3dmark and nothing is final yet but going by those numbers a 2ghz xp64 would perform about on par with a P4 2.8 or xp2800.

here is the article

slipknot said:
I think you guys are "guessing" a bit too much from those numbers

I would have thought so too, but then the Anandtech article...1.4 ghz Hammer=2.2 ghz p4....much less heat, too.

IMHO I think amd should release a version of Operton (sledge hammer) without MP support for desktops instead of clawhammer the operton has far more L2 cache 1meg as opposed to the 512kb on Athlon-64 it also has dual ddr support; although amd may implement that in Athlon-64 (clawhammer) at a later date.

Edit: My old first sentence did not get my point across as i had hoped.

Last edited:
It would be horrendously stupid to release sledgehammer without MP support. I mean, the thing has 900 something pins. It's designed specifically for MP and will be heinously expensive. Anyone with a lot of money can build a dual sledge system to rival the power of the gods, though.

DaddyB said:
Well Anandtech got a chance to play with an AthlonXP 64 running at 1.4ghz and they said it performed about the same as an xp2200 or P4 2.2, granted they only ran 3dmark and nothing is final yet but going by those numbers a 2ghz xp64 would perform about on par with a P4 2.8 or xp2800.

no, by my calculations it would run about the same as a P4 3.14

The way the numbers go is thay compare the processor speed to old T-Bird @ 1.4 so the 1600+ Pally will preform the same as a T-Bird running at 1.6 ghz.

So the 3400+ is the same as a T-Bird running at 3.2Ghz:eek: Imagen (sp?) how much heat that would put out :cool:

Back