• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD athlon II x3 440 overlocking

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ChattChitto

hey guys need help on overclocking my CPU. i unlocked the core now its amd phenom II x4 b40. i use prime95 after unlocking it passed. now i want to over clock. i tried 3.6ghz at 1.55 vcore. my multiplier is 15 x 240. now my nb clock is 2400mhz and ht link at 2400mhz too. i cranked my cpu-nb voltage to 1.3v but just in test 2 of prime95 i got BSOD. what voltages do i need. should i up the nb and ht link voltage too? my motherboard is MSI 785gt-E63.

Just like a core unlocking and being good is a matter of chance, so is being able to overclock it. With that being said, you can try different setting changes to see if it will help in your case. I would try adjusting the HT link voltage and see if it helps any. I would also play with the NB and HT link speeds to see if they help any. Just change 1 thing at a time and then test it, so you know what is actually helping. Good luck.

If I remember correctly those Athlon II X3s topped out round 3.6-3.7 or so, regardless of voltages. Couple things to think about: your motherboard might be having problems running that high of a bus frequency (240). Also, since that frequency also overclocks your RAM, you may want to look through your memory menus to find what we used to call your "divider" to drop your memory speed back down. Running your motherboard at 240 may be pushing your RAM faster than it can handle. Try that, and if it works then you can look at dropping some of those voltages. 1.55v may be pushing your heat wall. My personal rule of them is to always stay under 1.5v. Yet another thing to consider: your NB clock and HT link both want to operate in a certain range in relation to your processor speed. Like your RAM, you can find a menu that will let you run your NB and HT link on a divider to drop them down a little bit. Consider this: Right now I'm running 4.0 on my 1090t (19.5 x 205) and my HT link is 2460mhz while my NB frequency is 2665mhz. You'll probably want to drop one or both of yours down a little bit to find stability at 3.6ghz.

AMDs overclock differently than Intels. It's not just pushing up your bus speed and adding voltage. Everything meshes together and adjusting one thing here requires adjusting another thing over there which then requires adjusting this other thing. It can be frustrating, but it's rewarding when it all comes together.

Another piece of advice. Start over and shoot for rock-solid stable at 3.4ghz before going any higher.

thanks for the help. buy hey wayward. i adjusted my ram it runs at 799mhz so theres no ram problem. my cpu temp on that 3.6 b4 it BSOD is 55 only. im using hyper 212+. besides. whats your CPU-NB voltage. and my max multiplier is 15 so i really need to use that 240fsb.

We need viable information to assist in setting up for an overclock. In the end we will need information such as shown below. Signature is a must just about.

attachment.php

So heres the picture ur looking for sir. my ram timing there was not the stock but when im overclocking its all on 5-5-5-18. my ram setting stays default when overclocking my procie. all the other pictures were my stock settings on CPU, the temps were when i was running prime95 to get the max temp as of now.

Attachments

• oc forum.jpg
    oc forum.jpg
    240.3 KB · Views: 2,246
MOBO > MSI 758GT-E63 bios 28.7
CPU & Cooler > AMD Phenom II x4 B40 3.0ghz, Cooler Master Hyper 212+
MEMORY > OCZ Reaper HPC ddr2 800 4gb. OCZ Reaper HPC OCZ2RPR8004G
POWER SUPPLY >Tommade 750w
VIDEO CARD >Powercolor Radeon HD 6790. Not Crossfire
HDDs > 1 seagate barracuda 160gb and 1 WD caviar blue 500gb
BURNERS > CD/DVD/BLU-RAY none
SOUND DEVICE > onboard
USB > A4 tech keyboard and Razer Copperhead mouse
O/S > Win7 64bit

MOBO > MSI 758GT-E63 bios 28.7
CPU & Cooler > AMD Phenom II x4 B40 3.0ghz, Cooler Master Hyper 212+
MEMORY > OCZ Reaper HPC ddr2 800 4gb. OCZ Reaper HPC OCZ2RPR8004G
POWER SUPPLY >Tommade 750w
VIDEO CARD >Powercolor Radeon HD 6790. Not Crossfire
HDDs > 1 seagate barracuda 160gb and 1 WD caviar blue 500gb
BURNERS > CD/DVD/BLU-RAY none
SOUND DEVICE > onboard
USB > A4 tech keyboard and Razer Copperhead mouse
O/S > Win7 64bit

Now please put this information in a "Sig" so that it travels with every post you make. That really helps us as the threads get long.

To create a Sig, click in Quick Links at the top of the page and Edit Signature.

Also, please add to your system info list info about your case make and model. This is an important item as it gives us clues about how good your ventilation is.

Can't find any reliable information on the power supply. My guess is it's absolute trash. It's nigh-impossible to give overclocking advice when the advicee is lacking in the single most-important piece of hardware in their entire machine.

Before you can think about pushing the performace limits of your rig, you need to make sure that the thing supplying current to it is of top-quality, with no dips or spikes in voltage, no fluctuation in power delivery, able to supply all the current your hardware needs on the appropriate rail/rails, CLEANLY, etc.

Back