• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD Athlon x4 640 overclock help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fanzo

I am totaly new at overclocking so can you help ?
My system:
Motherboard: ASUS M4N68T
VGA: MSI R7 370
CPU: AMD Athlon x4 640
RAM: corsair vengeance 1866mhz 2x4 gb
Cooling: Deepcool gammaxx 300
PSU: 500w

I want overclock it from 3.00 to 3.50 but when i overclocking it boots normaly but when i trying play games after some time it crash with blue screen. I checked with cpu stres it was okey temperature is 38 its stable what i must to do more that my overclock was stable
(sry for bad english)

Most likely when you OC it's putting the ram too high. It's all done with FSB when you raise the base clock of 200 it also raises the HT/NB and memory busses. There's a guide for the Phenom in my sig this is very similar. But try dropping the memory by one speed and go again with your OC

That CPU family has a weak integrated memory controller. The IMC is rated for 1333 mhz so realize it will not come close to handling the RAM freqyency at 1866. Start by setting the RAM frequency at 1066. As you increase the FSB frequency the RAM frequency will also increase since they are linked. By the same reasoning you will also need to scale back the HT and CPU/NB multipliers at the start. They are also linked to the FSB.

But is there any real performance benefit to doing so? The Athlon II X4 CPUs are not exactly starved for memory bandwidth even at 1333 mhz. And here we have a novice overclocker who doesn't need it to be more complicated.

Last edited:
Depends on what you want to accomplish. Still, there is no reason not to run at least at a normal 1600 speed. It will do that easily without issue. Shoud be able to run 3.8 easily 24/7 also.

Back