• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD Builds.. Thoughts..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AJTheGamer

So I've posted another thread about overclocking my current PC, but my intent is to slowly replace parts and upgrade what I've got, while using some the old parts on a secondary machine (maybe a steam box or something)

Anyway, in my search for new hardware, I've come across some conflicting opinions about AMD, myself, I have a i7 975 build atm, but before that I had an AMD (one of the original 64 bit CPUs) no idea what it was, I was young and spent a lot of money for no reason. I preferred the AMD PC tho now that I think about it...

So I'm wondering whats everyones experiences with AMD, who (if anyone) builds only AMD? And what sorta stuff you guys use these for, as I'm planning on using it for both gaming and designing.

Look forward to what you guys have to say :)

To be honest on the AMD side you'd probablt benefit from the 8 core FX CPU which would need a good board and cooling. But the INTELs at the moment really do outpace the AMD. The 8 core FX is a real workhorse though and does very well at rendering and mutithreaded softwares

Some rumors that AM3+ is dead destroyed my will to build an AMD system, not sure if they are true though.

To be honest on the AMD side you'd probablt benefit from the 8 core FX CPU which would need a good board and cooling. But the INTELs at the moment really do outpace the AMD. The 8 core FX is a real workhorse though and does very well at rendering and mutithreaded softwares

I was looking at the FX 8350 that you've mentioned in your sig, I don't imagine I'll be pushing it to the kind of limits where the differences between Intel will be overly noticeable.

Humiliation said:
Some rumors that AM3+ is dead destroyed my will to build an AMD system, not sure if they are true though.

WHAT RUMORS?!? I heard that they we're dedicated to keeping the sockets and stuff for as long as they could...

I was looking at the FX 8350 that you've mentioned in your sig, I don't imagine I'll be pushing it to the kind of limits where the differences between Intel will be overly noticeable.

WHAT RUMORS?!? I heard that they we're dedicated to keeping the sockets and stuff for as long as they could...

Yeah but unfortunately the old socket cannot keep up with newer technologies that will be included in steamroller. AMD did a great job on those backward compatibilities, but it will come to an end someday...

https://www.google.com/?gfe_rd=cr&ei=wAvWU_rGH9bEYIX0gfAO&gws_rd=ssl#newwindow=1&q=AM3++is+dead?

Dang. I kinda hope its not true but if a new soccet really improved AMD's chips I'd be ok with it. Intels cost so much! (Seriously intel I don't need onboard graphics!)

I went all AMD and have an 8350. No regrets! Only thing is the sock heat sink on amd is worse than the intel (and mine was extremely loud). So non stock cooler is probably what you want to look at with AMD.
Its a great chip! I could probably overclock it more but haven't felt the need.
The 8350 and my r9 290 run everything MAX graphics with at least 60fps no problem. (I've been running games at 1920x1200, hoping to get two more monitors come Black Friday.).

That being said if I could do my build over I'd very much consider spending the extra money and get an i7. Mainly because its more energy efficient and makes less heat. And should outlast whatever GPU you get. i5 costs more than an 8350 but doesn't always beat it, but an i7 should. (4770 or 4770k depending on whether you want to be able to overclock)

But As for you don't go intel unless your going ALL OUT on your system. Sounds like you probably don't want to do that. In which case the AMD is much much more per $1 of your money. (I bought my 8350 for $160, which is why I could get my r9 290!)

(Also don't think that if you get an intel you have to get a Nvidia GPU, AMD's GPUs would work fine with intel. I am not sure why so many people think this.)

As far as we know the AM3+ socket is done and AMD doesn't expect to release another "enthusiast" CPU till 2016.
To be fair to INTEL the 4770k at stock will whoop the FX even overclocked. The FX if you want to OC needs a good board and great cooling. Even at 5.0 it won't catch the INTEL. When it comes to price you'd see about a $100 difference which you would need to spend on cooling etc. just so you could OC the FX to try to catch the 4770K which would OC to 4.0 on stock cooler without too much issue. Or spend $30 on a Hyper 212 and call it a day.

You can also typically get by with a cheap Intel chipset and a high end cpu but a top of the line AMD cpu especially a 220W you can't get away with a low end board or if you try you could be in for all kinds of headaches.

You've all got me thinking quiet a bit.

I'm starting to think, if I can figure out overclocking my CPU then the main thing I need to replace is the Graphics Card, as mine is pretty poor, only bought it as a replacement when I needed HDMI when my old monitor died and I rushed out and bought a new one without thinking how dated my current card at the time was...

Anyway whats everyones thoughts on graphics cards specifically, as for me here in Aus, thats where some of the biggest AMD vs Intel price gaps appear. I believe my board and everything else supports crossfire and what not, so what would you guys suggest as the best replacement for the price, not looking to spend much more than maybe 300-350US (even less if I can, or more if I really have to) but I'm only looking for above average performance, nothing super high end.

You've all got me thinking quiet a bit.

I'm starting to think, if I can figure out overclocking my CPU then the main thing I need to replace is the Graphics Card, as mine is pretty poor, only bought it as a replacement when I needed HDMI when my old monitor died and I rushed out and bought a new one without thinking how dated my current card at the time was...

Anyway whats everyones thoughts on graphics cards specifically, as for me here in Aus, thats where some of the biggest AMD vs Intel price gaps appear. I believe my board and everything else supports crossfire and what not, so what would you guys suggest as the best replacement for the price, not looking to spend much more than maybe 300-350US (even less if I can, or more if I really have to) but I'm only looking for above average performance, nothing super high end.

Not sure about AU prices but Radeon R9 280X should be in that price range or less and offer above average performance. If you want to spend more look at gtx 770 or even r9 290.

I was looking at the R9 280X its around the $329AUD which is around what I wanted to spend, I wondering tho if anyone knows what say the performance of...

Two R9 270 in Crossfire vs a R9 290 or 290X?

If games you play use X-fire, it might be worth it.

My 270x plays any game I want just fine, but I don't have the latest and greatest titles nor can I game at 1080P or whatever it's called.

Ususally simpler to get 1 powerful card like a 280x or something.

I was looking at the R9 280X its around the $329AUD which is around what I wanted to spend, I wondering tho if anyone knows what say the performance of...

Two R9 270 in Crossfire vs a R9 290 or 290X?

Get a single card (280x or better) if you ever might get multiple monitors or 2k or 4k because it has more vram that way.

Even if not I'd personally get the single card. Less heat, can add another card later if they ever become cheap, simply easier to deal with, etc.

I think I'll settle on the Gigabyte Radeon R9 280X 3GB WINDFORCE which I can get for $339, not too bad, and I've never had problems with Gigabyte before. Hopefully I can get it soon and focus on whats next :p

Looks like this is turning into my upgrade thread lol

If I'm successful with overclocking my CPU I guess next on my list should probably be improving my cooling :(

I think I'll settle on the Gigabyte Radeon R9 280X 3GB WINDFORCE which I can get for $339, not too bad, and I've never had problems with Gigabyte before. Hopefully I can get it soon and focus on whats next :p

Looks like this is turning into my upgrade thread lol

If I'm successful with overclocking my CPU I guess next on my list should probably be improving my cooling :(

I have a gigabyte windforce r9 290. If its the same cooler you can probably overclock that thing as the windforce cooler on mine can actually keep the r9 290 cool lol. I've had no problems with their products. Should be a great card!

I have a gigabyte windforce r9 290. If its the same cooler you can probably overclock that thing as the windforce cooler on mine can actually keep the r9 290 cool lol. I've had no problems with their products. Should be a great card!

06512c5f6f90c53d0829f037a1c08e46.med.jpg

Looks like it should be able to keep itself pretty cool. :)

I'm more worried about the rest of my system, with my temps running in the 70c as it is, before overclocking, I expect some raise before I get over 4.0Ghz (currently 3.33Ghz)

Back