• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD Bulldozer FX-6100 Slight Stutter on games and apps

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Barker55

Hey all, Back again with FX-6100 problems. I had a slight issue with energy saving mode cutting my computer off as the idle for the cpu was too low. I have since turned this off and computer works ok, but if i start going through webpages or applications too fast it stutters and music freezes. Only ever so slightly but very annoying. Also when on games i enjoy my motorsport simulators and it has a very slight stutter when coming out of any corner for milli seconds but very noticable ( tried on two simulators same issue) Frames per second are well into the 100+ range.

Previous Problem: http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=706621

I have since upped Vcore to 1.35V and tried lowering the LoadLine Calibration as said by a user when the problem started. So i am guessing other auto features are wrong on the motherboard and after setting them all up manually.

PC SPECS:
CPU: AMD FX™-6100 Six-Core Processor 3.30GHz
RAM: Corsair Vengance 1600 MHz (4GB)
PSU: Corsair CX430
Motherboard: Asus M5A7BL-M/USB3
Graphics Card: Gigabyte 8800 GT
HardDrive: SAMSUNG HD103UJ 1TB

My BIOS settings:

Configure System Frequence/Voltage

CPU Overclocking (AUTO)
Memory Clock Speed (AUTO)
GPU Overclocking (AUTO)
PCIE Overclocking (AUTO)

CPU Ration and Voltages

CPU Ratio (AUTO)
AMD Turbo CORE technology (AUTO)
CPU/NB Frequency (AUTO)
CPU Over Voltage: 1.3500V<- i changed this from (AUTO)
VDDNB Over Voltage 1.100V<- Changed this also from (AUTO)
LoadLine Calibrations (AUTO)=48% <- Have tried lowering it up to 35%

CPU Bios Page

GART Error Reporting (Disabled)
Mircocode Updation (Enabled)
Secure Virtual Machine Mode (Disabled)
Cool 'n' Quiet (Enabled)
Core C6 State (Auto)
Advanced Clock Calibration (Disabled)

Sorry total novice to AMD and Overclocking. I am just after getting it running how it should be out the factory. Then once its fully functioning maybe overclocking it. Thanks for the advice in advance.

Both your CPUz and HW monitor show that your fx6100 only has 1 core, where it should have 6. But you listed above as having Advanced Clock Calibration disabled. Just double check that; your issue might be simply that all your cores aren't enabled. Also, what BIOS version are you using?

thats strange when i turned energy saving mode off it drops to one core. But i have turned energy saving mode on now and it has been running for 30 mins now stable without a BSOD. It never did this before. And advanced clock was disabled.

Untitled1.jpg

going to fire up a game see if that is the problem. thanks

spent about 10 minutes on a game getting over 500 fps copared to the meesley 100fps i was getting before. went to exit the game and damn thing froze and chucked up a error the same as before.

booted it up 2 minutes later it had crashed and rebooted again, so i went back in the power settings in bios and turned ACPI APIC support back to disabled and here i am again on a single core :(

i have tried a version of windows xp still had the same issues and had 3-4 fresh install of windows 7. It has to be something CPU related or motherboard. very strange and annoying problem :(

i have tried a version of windows xp still had the same issues and had 3-4 fresh install of windows 7. It has to be something CPU related or motherboard. very strange and annoying problem :(

All 6 cores work when stressed in prime 95, yet only one works for a long amount of time when unstressed

Sir, is Nvidia GeForce GTX 550 Ti Asus Edition compatible with the fx-6100? I'm on a tight budget but also want some performance. Thank in advance.

Disable Turbo (Tubo Mode? Turbo Boost? Turbo Core? Various terminologies are employed), Cool N Quiet, C1E and APM (Advanced Power Management if you have it but not sure that chipset would have this) in bios and then go into Windows Control Panel Power Options and configure it to High Performance. The reason only one core is working sometimes is you still have the "green" stuff on I'm guessing. Looks that way also from your low core voltage shown in the in CPU-z from post #4.

Is this your motherboard?: http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_AM3Plus/M5A78LMUSB3/#specifications

Think you made a typon in post #1 when you typed "B" instead of "8".

Last edited:
Yeah, "trents" I copied and pasted what he actually had typed for a motherboard model and g00gle paid no attention to the 'typo' but went straight to the board you have linked.

He has an older 760G/710 chipset mobo which 'claims' support for the FX-series processors. I am still not sure that new FX on older chipset brings everything to the table that a 990 type chipset board would have. Certainly not full APM support on older type mobo as that only came into play when the 990 boards materialized. Such a situation might be a part of the 1 core shown when setting bios up a certain way.

I don't think I have ever seen a bios setup for FX that actually seemed to completely turn off 5 of 6 cores.

Back