• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD fx 4100 BSOD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ConfusedCale

Im currently running my fx 4100 at around 4.2ghz, and have got the bsod error 0x101. The voltage setting are standard and I use the stock cooler. Is it getting too hot or do I need to bump up the voltage a little? :confused:

Bump the voltage a notch or lower the clock a notch and see. If it is heat which we have n0 idea of the temp, then raising the voltage will raise the heat and actually give you false information. NEI.

Have you monitored the core temps at all with say, HWMOnitor. It's a free program. And as RGone said, you may just need a little more core voltage to stabilize it. But since you haven't monitored core temps that we know of it's not clear whether or not more voltage will create a heat problem.

I have looked at the temps under normal use. it only happened after being on GTA 4 for a while, so when I got the bsod, I have no idea of the temperature was

Download and install Prime95, a stress testing program that will work your CPU cores to the max. It's a standard overclockers' tool around here. Then download and install HWMonitor, a temp and voltage monitoring program. Open up HWMonitor on the desktop and leave it open while you run the Prime95 blend test for 20 minutes. HWMonitor will record your max CPU socket and core temps during that time. Then, using Snipping Tool in Windows Accessories, crop and save to disc a screenshot pic of the HWMonitor program interface. Attach that pic with your next post. To attach a pic, click on Go Advanced at the bottom of any new post window. When the Advanced post window appears, click on the little paperclip tool at the top which will bring up the file browser/upload tool. The rest is obvious.

As I was coming up to the 20 minute mark, I get another bsod but error 0x124 - I got 0x101 last time. maximum voltage was 1.45 and maximum cpu temperature was 66C

What was the maximum core temp? That's the most critical one, not CPU socket temp. If you don't remember what it was, please run the test again. You don't have to run it for a full 20 minutes. 15 minutes will be good enough probably.

But one thing we know for sure now is that your system is not stable.

If I remember correctly, it was around 58C. is this too hot for this CPU, or is it the voltage that needs increasing?

Yes, 56c core temps may be too hot for this CPU. We recommend 55c or less as a target maximum for overclocked AMD CPUs.

Some other setting mods we recommend when overclocking the FX CPUs that you might try because they effect stability are:
1. Disable Cool N Quiet, C1E, C6 and Turbo mode in bios.
2. In Windows Control Panel Power Options configure it to High Power.

These measures should disable the "green" power saving stuff that often messes with stability when overclocking.

Also, please create a "Sig" so that we can see your system info at a glance. To make a Sig, click on Quick Links at the top of the page and click on Edit Signature. You can use mine if you want a pattern for the kind of info we are looking for. Please include info about your case as people often omit that and case ventilation is very important for cool temps and for advising purchases of aftermarket coolers from a clearance perspective.

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/noctua-nh-u12-do-a3-amd-opteron-cpu-cooler

Unfortunately, your case is only 190mm wide and it will not provide clearance to the side panel for the best air coolers which are based on 120mm fans and too tall for your case. The one in the above link is the only one on that web site you linked worth the powder it would take to blow it up and still fit in your case. Unfortunately, it's a little on the pricey side. But Noctua makes good stuff.

Have you considered going with a self-contained water loop kit like the Corsair H80? I did not see any self-contained water kits on the site you linked. Are you limited to this vendor?

ill check that out. but im not limited to them, theyre local and are quite cheap - where i buy most of my computer related things

If you ever buy a new case or "chassis" as you say in the UK, get one at least 203mm wide.

Actually, I looked at the reviews on NewEgg and it gets good ones. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835186049

Yeah, looks like a good way to go. But please, before you buy, go to the company website, look at the online install instruction diagrams and make sure it mounts east west and not north south. You don't have any fans in the top panel of your case. Do you get what I'm saying?

you the absolute man trents, WP with the help, it also made me realise, it's not me Corsair PSU, it's me FX4100. you BO bro, thank you.

Back