• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD FX-4170 4core black edt - running at 2.81ghz?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nichy

Registered
Hey , Just sighned up as i see this forum all over when serching on google and it has helped me so far. but i still have issues.

installed a FX-4170 4.2ghz cpu on a Gigabyte GA-78LMT-s2p rev5.0 MOBO and got it running. this was an upgrade from my AMD 550 Black on older series gb mobo.

so got it running and played some games that i had going before to see what had got better..... very small results in deus ex and allmost none in gta-5 (no internet good enough for games atm:( )
went out and into control panel to check the system setting and see what the cpu was running at ..

2.81GHZ..............?

so did some searching about and found one or two people having the same issue but nothing that really helped..

have tried updating the bios which said was sucsesful but still not change.

can someone please shed some light on this as im now completly out of ideas and dont know what else to try :(

if you need more info on system let me know ... still working this computer stuff out.. cheers

just downloaded hw moniter and my cpu does not show up in it ?

hwmoniterscst_zpsec22bbf1.png

AMD cpu's have a function called cool 'n quiet that downclocks your cpu and voltage when its not under load to save power, but will run it at full speed when there is a load on the cpu. it can be turned off in bios, but if you're not overclocking the cpu there is no point to turning it off.

AMD cpu's have a function called cool 'n quiet that downclocks your cpu and voltage when its not under load to save power, but will run it at full speed when there is a load on the cpu. it can be turned off in bios, but if you're not overclocking the cpu there is no point to turning it off.

I have looked into the bios and see nothing to do with cool n quiet.herd about it befor .
Even in bios the clock default is 2800 if i change to 4200 it boot cycles

Anyone else running the same chip have a look for me to see what it says ?

Do me a favor here, download prime95 and cpuz, run prime and while its open take a screenshot of cpuz and post it here for us.

Cool 'n quiet is there, even if you don't see it, its been standard on all AMD cpu's for years now.

The size of the pic is fine. I like them big, personally.

Download and install CPU-z and post pics of tabs: "CPU", "Memory", "SPD" and "Motherboard" for us please.

What CPU cooler are you using?

That should do it... using stock cpu fan that comes with the chip... many other fans in sopranoRS Case

mainboadshot_zps329bebfa.png

cpupic_zpsc60b24e7.png

memoryshot_zps145a1911.png

spdshot_zpsefcacf39.png

Look at the bios version shown in CPU-z tab "Motherboard". You are running F3a. You need F5a. You didn't flash the bios with a late enough newer bios version. And by the way, I wouldn't try to overclock that CPU on that motherboard. It's not up to it. Should be fine at stock frequencies and voltages, however.

Attachments

• bios5.1a.JPG
    bios5.1a.JPG
    66.3 KB · Views: 749
when i try to put that bios on it says "bios part number(award) inncorrect

tried that. thats a rev 3.1 board too. mine says REV 5.0 on it

My bad.

But your board does not support the FX-8170. It's not in the CPU support list.

Attachments

• BiosRev5.JPG
    BiosRev5.JPG
    56.7 KB · Views: 743
im going to kill the pc shop tomorrow !!!!!!!! this is just my luck... quiet a story behind buying both new items haha. well i guess that solves that.....and thats 2 days gone :(

My friend, I would suggest doing some research next time before you throw money down. Don't trust would be geeks at a PC shop to really know what their doing. If you really want to find out about stuff before you buy, come to this forum first. There is a huge amount of knowledge and experience in this community.

man, I completely missed the board he was using, good luck though you should still be able to get a decently priced board that supports the 4170.

still be able to get a decently priced board that supports the 4170.

There are lots of boards that claim to support the later FX cpus, but are not worth a hoot for overclocking. Some even with old 760 type chipsets. They run. They do not have enough phases for cpu power management and some even sold for FX-series that do not have any VRM cooling. Low priced maybe but good to very good...that seems an issue.

Question?
I see this a lot with statements VRM Phases and coolers are vital.
It seems to me for budget builds a motherboard that powers an 8150 at stock should have no problem overclocking a 4100.

Yes I am happier with more phases and heat sinks. No I wouldn't want a budget board for benching.
I know there were respectable budget overclocking 760 boards for Phenom II. Are newer ones all no good?

I would be unlikely to buy a 760 board at this time, even 880 seems past.

"woboy" You can certainly believe as you do and make it work for you. The average user may not be so skilled. I think we can assume their skill/hardware level is not up to yours or they would not be posting about overlocking their stuff.

Thread: The Bone PIle.

#3 thru #6 were running FX processor. Those were all pretty good boards that did not hold up to pushing an FX processor. So to assume that a board that can handle an FX-8150 at stock can then start running an overclocked FX 4 core processor and will be just fine does not hold up in my opinion. Of course it is other peoples money and they can do with it as they please. That is alway the situation.

I have a fair FX-8120 that can run Cinebench at 1.45Vcore for a bench run both the CPU and GPU test. Try and ensure that cpu can hold up for 2 hours of P95 in blend mode and the Vcore needs to go into the 1.55Volt range. Benching is not nearly as much of a load on the system as the load is when running for stability. At least not as I have seen over the years. Others may believe otherwise.

You put an FX-4170 in one of those 3+1 or 4+1 without heatsinks on the VRM's and they will not be able to push the FX-4170 to the 4.5 to 4.7Ghz that many FX-4170's can do on air and run P95 Blend stable for a couple of hours. Something will give up.

The problem is the people that come into the AMD Cpu forum section have seen the big numbers run. 95% of the time they are not coming to the forum to get an FX-8120/50 to run 4.2Ghz which is a good sweet spot, but are coming wanting the 4.5Ghz and that with a mid-level board and that is generally more than they can chew.

A mid-level Asus motherboard with a 990 chipset on it and running 4+1 VRMs will most often have VRM sinks and they likely could push an FX-4170 to 4.5Ghz pretty well and hold it there for a couple of hours of P95 Blend. Not super expensive, but you have to know what you are buying. There are others. But they are not likely more than 30 % or 40% of the entry/mid level boards that claim compatibilty with the FX 8core cpus that can get all the goody even from the very fast 4 core FX-4170 and never mind the older FX-4100.

Question?
I see this a lot with statements VRM Phases and coolers are vital.
It seems to me for budget builds a motherboard that powers an 8150 at stock should have no problem overclocking a 4100.

Yes I am happier with more phases and heat sinks. No I wouldn't want a budget board for benching.
I know there were respectable budget overclocking 760 boards for Phenom II. Are newer ones all no good?

I would be unlikely to buy a 760 board at this time, even 880 seems past.

Possibly true but all the FX CPUs draw an inordinate amount of power it seems when you get the vcore past a certain point when compared to their predecessors.

Back