• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD FX-6300 overclock recommendations

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wispcx

I have a AMD FX-6300 and I am looking to overclock with the stock fan at good temps and get a increase in FPS. I have never overclocked any GPU or CPU so I have no clue what to set the settings to. I can run PUBG at around 50 FPS avg and around 21 min. I would like to get at least a stable 60fps normally so I can enjoy the game more. I did some research and apprently overclocking increases your FPS, so what should I overclock my CPU to with good temps with the stock fan?

We need more information. What motherboard make and model do you have? What about the PSU make and wattage? Please outline the components of your system. You can refer to my "Sig" if you want guidance as to what information we like to see.

And with the stock CPU cooler you can expect only a minor overclock.

I’m not completely sure about the psu and mobo but I do know it’s a Gigabyte brand mobo. If it helps any my computer is a prebuilt. CyberPower GUA1400BST. If u look my pc up u might find it but I’m not sure.

EDIT: apprently my mobo is Asus M5A 78L-M Plus/USB3 Motherboard and my PSU is around 450 Watts.

Last edited:
Your motherboard only has a 4+1 power phase component so it is not going to be a great overclocker. The 760g chipset will also not help. And you will need to get a better CPU cooler.

Get a better heat sink and fan before you attempt to overclock. You will be frustrated if you don't because you won't be able to carry out the instructions in the video. You won't have enough thermal margin to get hardly anywhere with it. And I do not vouch for the video. I haven't even watched it. I just saw it when I was googling info about your motherboard. Your results may be different than the guy in the video. Not every FX-6300 will have the same overclock ability as they are not all cut from the same quality silicon, slight variations in mfg. process, etc. The video was only for reference as to an overview of the process and what you might expect.

There is a guide in this section of the forum for overclocking AMD FX CPUs you should read first.

I might recommend the Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO heatsink. Lot of bang for the buck but it would require you to remove the motherboard to install a mounting bracket that goes under the motherboard. Same with most good coolers. Are you comfortable with that?

Get a better heat sink and fan before you attempt to overclock. You will be frustrated if you don't because you won't be able to carry out the instructions in the video. You won't have enough thermal margin to get hardly anywhere with it. And I do not vouch for the video. I haven't even watched it. I just saw it when I was googling info about your motherboard. Your results may be different than the guy in the video. Not every FX-6300 will have the same overclock ability as they are not all cut from the same quality silicon, slight variations in mfg. process, etc. The video was only for reference as to an overview of the process and what you might expect.

There is a guide in this section of the forum for overclocking AMD FX CPUs you should read first.

I might recommend the Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO heatsink. Lot of bang for the buck but it would require you to remove the motherboard to install a mounting bracket that goes under the motherboard. Same with most good coolers. Are you comfortable with that?

I found the fan itself on eBay for around $27 (https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/262882410299). I do have two questions though. Could you send me a YouTube video of someone installing it? And lastly, will it fit into my case? As a reminder, I have a CyberPower GUA1400BST.

I just want to make sure everything goes right because I cannot afford having to buy a whole new PC. And I’ve never assembled a computer or disassembled one either so I am going to need a detailed video.

If I end up not feeling comfortable having to disassemble my motherboard and everything, do you think that this fan would work? https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/182183203793

No, the deepcool cooler you reference is too small to make much difference.

If you are not comfortable with removing your motherboard then you should stick to coolers that clip on using the plastic bracket surrounding the socket, like the deepcool one you linked. You want to get one that uses at least a 92mm fan and preferrably a 120mm fan.

You can google for youtube instructional videos yourself I think.

Must go now and will be gone for several hours.

I should add that even the coolers with spring clips like the deepcool you linked can be difficult to install without removing the motherboard as there can be a lack of room inside the case to get your hands and fingers where they need to be and to be able to apply sufficient pressure to engage the clips.

Removing the motherboard is not difficult. Just take pictures and make notes of where things go.

Your motherboard only has a 4+1 power phase component so it is not going to be a great overclocker. The 760g chipset will also not help. And you will need to get a better CPU cooler.
Mr T. I'm pretty sure that board is only 3+1 Power phase count. Overclocking the 6300 on that board is likely going to need some cooling of the VRM section as well.

wispcx, download and install a free program called CPU-z. Run it and click on the "Motherboard" tab. Crop and capture that as a pic (Windows Snipping Tool is good for this) and attach it to a post using the "Go Advanced" button at the bottom right corner of any new post window. That will take you to the built in forum tool for locating, uploading and attaching a pic. That will give us more detailed information about your motherboard.

Back