• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD FX-8120 not throttling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ssjwizard

Has slightly less legible writing than Thideras
I know that around here generally our efforts are focused on stopping our CPUs from throttling. Most of the time I prefer my chip not throttle however during the day when im not home my rig is usually on as a media/file server which does not require very much CPU power. During those times I set the computer to "Balanced" power plan with minimum CPU speed set to 5%. I am running Windows 8 Release Preview at the moment. Cool N Quiet, C1E, and C6 state are enabled in BIOS. APM master mode is set to disabled to avoid throttling when using "High Performance" profile.

No. Turbo is also off.

APM master mode is set to disabled = That master switch must be enabled for the CPU to monitor and adjust power modes.

Humm, I am only running 4.0Ghz for my daily OC, and Im only pushing 1.23v(1.26 after LLC) I might be able to get away with leaving it on. Ill take a look and report back.

Ok well Im going to go with this is a Windows 8 Issue as I suspected. Turning APM back on did not fix the issue. I threw my other 120gig SSD in and booted into Win7 and it dials back to 1.3Ghz when Idling with and without APM enabled. Oh well, Ill probably be reverting to Win7 in a month or so after Ive had enough time to evaluate the merits / upgrade potentials of other bits.

Well everybody keeps hollering about Win8 being more powerful for FX-series than Win7 and that is a good way to do it. Don't let it throttle. Don't let it use CPU power modes. Gonna be some ticked off real world/normal user types that ain't going to be so proud of Win8 and AMD FX if it is not fixed.

windows does not really like this cpu, i run my heavy numbers crunching program in linux and it is like night and day and all i use is the latest ubuntu.

Back