• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

amd fx 8300 overclock temperatures

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kcscott11

Registered
whats your opinion? I have cleared the min max, but the max are all still the actual max, this is a couple hours running prime 95, its still running as we speak... my core temps look good imo but I don't care for the socket temp all that much... I have a evo 212 air cooler and my stock clock is 3.3 I'm currently running 4.3 ghz

- - - Updated - - -

forgot the dang pic...

Attachments

• oc4_3ghzprime95.png
    oc4_3ghzprime95.png
    155.1 KB · Views: 7,287
asus m5a97, I want a m5a99x but don't have one yet lol... I guess what I'm asking... is do I have room to move on or should I stay where I am? I'm passing all the tests... my core temps seem pretty good, and I still have a little room in my voltage....

Last edited:
I absolutely love these lower end FX chips. Out of all of them, the 8300 was my favorite.

All you gotta do is add some cooling to that VRM package area to the left of the cpu. Good case flow helps a lot too.

Nice low V-core, but the max spike is not reflective of actual load. This is result of running the power saving features and or the turbo core. Shut off the turbo and Cool and quiet along with C1E or C6 if any are enabled.

You've got headroom there.

I absolutely love these lower end FX chips. Out of all of them, the 8300 was my favorite.

All you gotta do is add some cooling to that VRM package area to the left of the cpu. Good case flow helps a lot too.

Nice low V-core, but the max spike is not reflective of actual load. This is result of running the power saving features and or the turbo core. Shut off the turbo and Cool and quiet along with C1E or C6 if any are enabled.

You've got headroom there.

Thanks! I went up to 4.4 and got what seems to be stable for over an hour... Core temp 55 max, socket temp hit 72 once, the vcore his 1.344 but actually set at 1.464. Turbo core is enabled but I am about to take care of that now.. My motherboard has vrm heat syncs.. Anyhow what about SVM, should it be enabled... It's for secured virtual mode????

Yes that's virtual machine. You can leave it on or off won't make a difference.

You probably don't need 1.464v to run 4.4ghz. Turn off the stuff I told ya, and then look to LLC high or ultra high. Set the V-core to 1.35v and then do the stability testing.

A small fan on them vrm heat sinks does magic. try it out. 80mm fan would be plenty.

Yes that's virtual machine. You can leave it on or off won't make a difference.

You probably don't need 1.464v to run 4.4ghz. Turn off the stuff I told ya, and then look to LLC high or ultra high. Set the V-core to 1.35v and then do the stability testing.

A small fan on them vrm heat sinks does magic. try it out. 80mm fan would be plenty.

And I've gone way different then that... I went up to 4.5.. Which I couldn't get stable at all at first.. I have turned off all of the things you said the only one that was left on was turbo core which is now off. If im stable which it's looking like I might be as long as my temps stay the way they are I may have hit a limit. Like I say it's 4.5ghz my vcore is set at 1.5 buy in actuality I'm getting 1.40 to 1.43 bouncing around... Does m5a97 r2.0 have llc?? I can't find it anywhere... My core temp is starting under 50 right now but I'm bout to hit a phase of the test that really pushes it up

Yes the board has LLC. keep looking you'll find it. Load Line Calibration - LLC for short.

We want to stabilize that voltage. That will help with temps.

You are right. It does have llc but the only options I can find are auto enabled disabled so I enabled it and dropped my voltage some... Booting again and start my stressing again

You'll have to play around with this.

I'd start where you feel comfy and stable. After stress testing, try lowering voltage to the unstable point. So if 4.4ghz can run on lo less than 1.2750v, then you stick here. If you want to go more, increase voltage to a higher point and increase the clock speed. Again test and lower voltage until not stable. rinse repeat.

I'd think 1.450 -1.500v should get clocks near 4.8ghz. Remember that adding frequency raises temperatures without added voltage, so keep that in mind.

If you can find clocks between 4.4 and 4.6ghz on that air cooler, your doing about average for most FX chips give or take.

Took me awhile to get my setting to work with llc. Couldn't get it to boot had to reset BIOS then I figured out why with llc my setting were overvolt it was at 1.54 anyhow I'm at 4.5 at a steady 1.416v running at similar temps maybe a couple Celsius lower than my last run. I thought about I'd it was stable going to 4.6 and then stopping but with this board and not too notch cooling if I am stable at 4.5 I may stay here. I have plenty of fans here I will install one over my vrm and my case is open air and in a fairly cool environment. I guess we will see what he monitor says and I'll decide if I want to go up any. I have to say I wouldn't hurt my feeling to get 4.6 it seems like most people stop at 4.5 lol

As soon as I posted that I froze so bumping vcore

- - - Updated - - -

You'll have to play around with this.

I'd start where you feel comfy and stable. After stress testing, try lowering voltage to the unstable point. So if 4.4ghz can run on lo less than 1.2750v, then you stick here. If you want to go more, increase voltage to a higher point and increase the clock speed. Again test and lower voltage until not stable. rinse repeat.

I'd think 1.450 -1.500v should get clocks near 4.8ghz. Remember that adding frequency raises temperatures without added voltage, so keep that in mind.

If you can find clocks between 4.4 and 4.6ghz on that air cooler, your doing about average for most FX chips give or take.

Adding frequency was how I got up to 4.5 without the llc n earlier... I went back to using multiplier when I found llc if it doesn't run stable this time I'll lower my multiplier and up my frequency

Alright I had to back it up a little. Went back to 4.4 GHz a little under 1.4v with llc on... Running prime95 gonna watch it a few mins then I have got to go to bed and let it run and hope for the best when I wake up and go from there

Alright then, No matter what I did I felt like the pc was sluggish even when testing stable... it seemed to load slow and glitchy... so I reset to factory 3.3ghz, installed a couple games, and just kind of got used to it... so id better be able to judge the changes the overclock made. I just went from factory bios settings to all power saving options off, I set to 3600mhz by adjusting multiplier and set all voltages to manual directly on the equivalent setting that default set it at... im at about 20 minutes on prime95 and all feels pretty good, im about to move to 3700...

From the P-state list, I recommend these voltages.

#1: 4200 MHz, 1.375V

#2: 3600 MHz, 1.2125V

These above are turbo P-states. At 4.2ghz it only loads 4 of 8 cores to this frequency. You may need a tad more to get all 8 stable.

Thanks for the reporting. :D

you are literally playing with fire overclocking on an m5a97. Keep your oc modest until you can get a better motherboard. Seriously.

I agree it's not the greatest board but I've read alot of people with great claims.. Although that doesn't make it fact. I'm at 4.42 steady and cool at 3.85v in prime it gets warm during the midst intensive tests 71 socket and 60 package temp.. But during most phases of the test it's running 45 - 50package and 55-60 socket and in real life usage 15-30c

you are literally playing with fire overclocking on an m5a97. Keep your oc modest until you can get a better motherboard. Seriously.
You'd be surprised what a board like this can handle. Just need to keep the VRM's cool.

@kcscott11
There is a point where adding more Vcore will not fix BSOD's, dropped Prime95 workers or freeze ups. It's at that point where you need more cooling and perhaps in your case a more stout board. Keep those VRM's cool.

If you find adding more Vcore doesn't help, that's the point I'm talking about :)

The m5a97 is a fairly solid board, especially for a low priced board. It's LLC setting bugged me heavily as it was on/off/auto (whatever auto does...). I ran a 955BE @3.8ghz for YEARS on mine before I sold both of em. Either way, I don't think the board is much good over 4.5 for any FX. IIRC Caddy killed a 955BE in his by pushing it a bit too hard a while back.

Back