• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking AMD FX-8300

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

strider1

Registered
I've got an AMD FX-8300 that I've been having some weird issues overclocking. It's my first time doing it, and I've followed the general steps, but have a few questions.
So far, the furthest I've managed to get it to is 3.6ghz. Most people have managed to get theirs to at least 4.2, but for whatever reason I just can't push mine any further without crashes, even when increasing the voltage.

Here is my cpu info:
vpkTxfR.png

I'm running it on a GA-990FXA-UD3 with the most up-to-date BIOS. My one concern is my memory; I can't seem to overclock that at all, and I've had to manually reset my CMOS twice after increasing the voltage and speed. I'm locked at 1333Mhz. Here is my ram:
Hc53uqx.png

As far as BIOS goes I've increased the multiplier to something like 20x and have played around with voltage, though it's shown no real difference. My settings are mostly stock aside from disabling AMD quiet and cool.

Is my RAM causing issues? Here's the actual product link: https://www.gskill.com/en/product/f3-1866c9d-16gxm

Thanks for the help.

Attachments

• Hc53uqx.png
    Hc53uqx.png
    17.4 KB · Views: 2,892
:welcome:

Try changing CPU/NB 1.2v-1.3v and CPU/VDDA 2.5V, that should take care of any memory issues. Next try 4ghz 1.3v and if its stable up the multiplier from there. What's your cooling ?

:welcome:

Try changing CPU/NB 1.2v-1.3v and CPU/VDDA 2.5V, that should take care of any memory issues. Next try 4ghz 1.3v and if its stable up the multiplier from there. What's your cooling ?

Thanks! I'll give it a shot and update the thread asap. After changing those settings, should I change my memory frequency?
I'm not sure of the exact model, but I'm using a coolermaster aftermarket cooler and seem to have good airflow. My CPU hasn't gone past 50 C so far, even during torture tests, and the hottest part is my GPU which rarely goes past 40 or 45.

Leave memory at stock for now (are you using its profile for the timings ?), it will help troubleshooting if it's the problem or part of it.

I haven't made any changes to memory timing, so that's running at stock. What do you mean by the profile?

All memory sticks come with easy to use profiles (in BIOS) that change the settings to what it's supposed to run at, but yours already seems to be there ? Let us know how its going :)

EDIT: something like this ?

maxresdefault.jpg

Ok, all memory settings seem to be where they are supposed to be :) try the main settings now.

Great!

I went ahead and set it to 4ghz and changed my NB voltage but it took an incredibly long time to boot and didn't make it into windows. Do I have to set that other setting as well somewhere?

I lowered it to 3800Mhz and could get into windows but got errors, I think something about ratios, with prime.

Edit: Sorry, could you tell me exactly which settings to change?

CPU/NB 1.3v, CPU/VDDA 2.5V, multiplier 4ghz (x20) and raise CPU voltage to 1.3v.

I don't see a setting relating to VDDA. What's the title you saw in my screenshot?

Search for CPU-PLL, if you can't find it disregard that setting and focus on the other 3.

Also for NB am I changing "CPU NB VID Control" or "NB Voltage control"? The latter seems to give me warnings as I adjust the settings.

- - - Updated - - -

Alright I found the PLL setting and have changed it to 2.5.

Alright great. Just to confirm it is flashing red, but that's fine, correct?

As long as you don't go much higher you're ok.

Thanks! I'm back on my PC and am running a mixed Prime95 test. I'll keep an eye on my temperatures and update the thread if I run into any errors over the next few minutes.

Haven't run into errors but my PC overheated and shut down. I also haven't cleaned my PC in 2-3 years, so that's likely a contributing factor. I'll do a full clean tomorrow and update then.

Thanks for the help!

Back