• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD FX 8320 OS

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mtdewcowboy

What OS would be better fit?
Windows 8 or Windows 7
I have read somewhere that windows 8 is supposed to work good with the 8 core chips, fact or fiction?
I need to get a new OS but not sure what would be best
I now run Windows xp 32 bit

I have seen tests with Win8 and it is n0t the fix everyone said it would be. After the tests most agreed whichever O/S one had would be good. They surely have some low azz prices for Win 8 right now.

Since I have Win 7 64 bit I will not update to Win 8. I do think I would get 64 bit whichever O/S I would get.

I have an 8320 in my newest rig, and just updated from win7 pro to win8. From what my FPS have shown in gaming atleast, they seem about equal. As RGone said I would just go with the one you prefer/have a key for.

I am building new rig so will have to buy, see sig
Windows 8 is real cheap though & my MB is windows 8 ready

If you don't mind the Metro UI you cant beat the $40 price, and even if you do, Start8 is 5 bucks and makes it look pretty much like 7.

Yep, should be able to download and then make into a bootable USB drive, or burn to CD if that works better. 4GB jump drive is all you need.

From what I've seen, Windows 7 + the FX fix patches performs better, but Microsoft seemed to have pulled those KB* patches so I assume they'll be releasing some for Windows 8 (hopefully).

From what I've seen, Windows 7 + the FX fix patches performs better, but Microsoft seemed to have pulled those KB* patches so I assume they'll be releasing some for Windows 8 (hopefully).

The whole hype for Win 8 to AMD FX type cpu users was the fixes and even better would be inside Win 8 from the get go. Well it has not done much for the FX series.

Pretty sure M$ would pull the patches to force move to Win8. I found the two patches with a diligent search.

What I'm running now is real slow
Amd Athlon overclocked & windows xp
Geforce 6200 card
That's why I'm building new.

Windows 8 is worse when overclocking Fx when you turn turbo off then 7 was.

Mostly because it tries to load up threads onto modules so they clock higher, but with turbo disabled it won't ramp them up.

I got around 30% more FPS in GTA4 changing the affinity from default to 0,2,4,6 as by default Windows 8 would load up the first 2 modules because it thought it still had turbo enabled. Give each thread its own module and it hums.

Back