• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD FX8350 & Sabertooth 990FX R2.0

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

darkblitz05

Ok now Im somehow new to this board.
I needed some help on whats the basic steps on overclocking this one.
(well not really new to overclocking but the board that I was using before was the Asus M5A99FX Pro r2.0, and I just want to make sure on what to do first with this new board)

CPU: AMD FX8350
Mobo: Sabertooth 990FX R2.0
Liquid Cooler: Corsair H105 Hydro
RAM: G-Skills RipjawsX 2x8gb 1866 CL9
GPU: Sapphire Dual-X R9 270x 2gb GDDR5
PSU: Corsair CX750M
Casing: NZXT Phantom 530

pics:
torture test-saber990fx r2 - fx8350.png

Last edited:
You should disable turbo and check the load voltage of the cpu. Turbo makes voltage reading to bounce up and down as it throttles cores. You should also check your CPU/NB voltage since some boards set it as high as 1.4V out of the box.
For an easy OC you could set turbo off, CPU/NB OFFSET to 1.25, CPU OFFSET + 1STEP(its couple millivolts) and set your CPU LLC to high. Disable spread spectrum and EPU (if on) and leave energy savings active if you would like to benefit from those.
Then just increase multiplier until unstable. From there you should have a 300-500Mhz overclock generally good for 24/7 use and a good starting point to fall back to when tuning for higher clocks.
Have your CPU/NB and HT links 2200MHz during OC and after you find CPU limit try increasing them to 2400MHz.
I would start from 4300MHz and try if it stable above that and keep eye on temps.

Well your temps look good, I see you're in the Phillipines so you probably have fairly high ambient temps. As Waza sadi , disable all the green stuff for now. Here's a ggod guide to get you started http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=688663
The SS was good but I would ask that once you get things going could you also post a shot of CPU-Z memory and SPD tabs. One thing though I would leave the HT at stock of 2600.

This is what we need to see for sure and a real good starting point.

Normally during setup and testing we disable C1/E, C6, Cool N Quiet, APC, TurboCore and in windows performance manager itself we set to "performance" mode. That way there are not "other" settings messing with the overclocking process. Some of those settings are not available on all models of cpu but where in evidence we disable for setup of overclock process.

CPU Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

Memory Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

SPD Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

And this is screen capture of HWMonitor (free version) from CPUID com
HWMonitor has been scrolled enough and large enough to show Min/Max of Voltages and includes the CPU CORE TEMPS / "package" temps fully visible. Latest versions of HWMonitor show the CPU Core Temp as " a Package Temp" and is only shown as a single temp since there were never multple, individual core temp sensors anyway.

This capture is made of HWMonitor after it has been open and running on the desktop logging Min/Max temps and voltages while Prime 95 was running Blend Mode test on all cores for at least 20 mins and then the capture of HWMonitor was made and it shows the Min/Max temps and voltages before P95 Blend was started and while running P95 Blend mode and gives much greater insight into how the system is performing without guessing.

attachment.php

In order to attach screenshots of INDIVIDUAL images as suggested, first crop and capture the images with Snipping Tool found in Windows Accessories or equivalent. Then click on Go Advanced, a button at the bottom of every new post window. Then click on the little paperclip tool at the top of the Advanced post window when it opens. Clicking on the paperclip tool brings up the file browser/upload tool and the rest is fairly obvious.

Back