• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2.0

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Skyreaper663

I just got a ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 from my friend, I need help because i have no idea what to get all together.
I have an EVGA 1300 G2 Gold series 80+ power supply
Also have 2 8GB HYPERX Fury
I need suggestions on CPU, Cooling, GPU, and anything else you guys think i should get.
The case also needs some work, Probably should just get a new one.
I have looked at CPU's and i have seen that the AMD FX-9590 is probably the best one i could find. But i want everyones input on what i should get.

Thank you all!! :)
John

An early FX 8350 or a FX 8370 will get you great speeds overclocked with less voltage and way less heat than a 9590. They are energy hogs, space heaters, and persnickety beasts. Having said that, you definitely have one of the two best motherboards for a 9590. Honestly though, I'd look for an 1100T. LOL

The FX 9590 is nothing more than a FX 8350 overclocked at the factory, so just get a FX 8350 or FX 8370 and OC it.

I agree with Alaric and Whitehawk, get and 83xx chip. The Fx 9590 in most cases is just a pia. They're tough to keep cool and seem to cause more headaches then they're worth.

EK Supreme HF/ Thermochill PA 120.3
Dual Laing D5 Vario/ Koolance Rp-452X2
BitFenix Spectre Pro 6 X 120mm

You can see an example of cooling required for the FX83xx in Mandrake's signature.
The cooling for my FX 8320 is similar.
Swiftech Apogee XL CPU block
MCR-320 360x120mm 2 pass radiator
MCP-650 vari Pump (swiftech now offers the 655-PWM-OEM instead)
MCRes Micro Reservior
Various fans including the original CPU fan mounted to the VRM and a 70mm x 5mm fan mounted to the back of the CPU socket.

There might be a few air cooling solutions out there, as well as AIO water systems, but I'm not experienced with any of them.

I do have some questions for you though, Since you have a Sabertooth 990FX R2 you know how big the motherboard is, Do you have any suggestions for a case? I have quite the large power supply as well. So can you suggest me to a case big enough because that's my main problem right now.

I'm a big fan of Phanteks cases. The Luxe will hold all kinds of gear, still give good cable management, and has room for radiators. It even comes with a reservoir mount and a pump mount.

these guys are correct, stay well clear of the fx 9xxx cpus, find an 8350 or an 8370.
the fx 9xxx cpus are extremely hot and can take some work just to get running at stock.

I have a 10+ year old Rocketfish Lian Li full ATX tower. I had to modify it with various sized hole saws, rubber bushings, bay grills, and fan guards to make it work well.

Alaric, that Phanteks Enthoo Luxe is really nice looking and already has most of the mods to manage wiring and get all the cooling mounted. :thup:
One day I might buy a new nice case instead getting out the hole saws and Dremel. lol

I have a 10+ year old Rocketfish Lian Li full ATX tower. I had to modify it with various sized hole saws, rubber bushings, bay grills, and fan guards to make it work well.

Alaric, that Phanteks Enthoo Luxe is really nice looking and already has most of the mods to manage wiring and get all the cooling mounted. :thup:
One day I might buy a new nice case instead getting out the hole saws and Dremel. lol

lol
I still rock a Chieftec Dragon that's seen just as much saw and hole action. :D
Don't laugh. It's the only case I ever bought brand new.

If you do all the right mods you can keep a quality case for many, many years - as you already know Scotty. It makes it easier to upgrade, improve cooling, etc. I ain't laughing. ;)

My i5-4670k is in an uncut beige Antec SX1030, which is basically the Dragon (no side fan though). Roomy, but sucks for wire management without doing some mods. Nothing but 80mm fans too. It was a dumpster rescue.

Back