• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD may be about to kill the Phenom name

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
My 5770's perform okay. I'm not too much a gamer outside of CS:S where even a low end card could suffice. Look for 5870 results for BF3 and subtract ~10%. That should give you an idea of what performance will be. :)

Thanks, that's about 80% scaling.

Not bad actually, you can pick them up fairly cheap used now, so its a good stop gap while i wait to see whats happening with the GTX 660 / 670 or if the 7850 / 7870 come down a little in price.

^intel sockets vs AMD sockets

quad channel memory is one, intel nic card is another, can they even do quad sli/cf yet? i forgot pci 3.0

AMD was first to market with quad channel memory, granted in the opterons but that is where it matters. I believe triple channel is useless on the desktop as it delivers no real world increase in speed.

What is so good about an Intel nic?

AMD chipset's have supported quad sli/crossfire for a long time now.

Pci-e 3.0 will be coming soon but can anything even max out a 2.0 slot yet?

I barely saw a difference going from single channel to dual. Why would I bother with quad?

I'll go a broadcom nice over an Intel any day

The Memory controller is part of the CPU anyway.

Its hard to find a Motherboard that will not support the same memory capabilities as whats in the CPU, even if you look at the low end.
I can see a bad NB Chip Set being a Bottleneck to a top end CPU, but again it would need to be glued to something from the reject discount bin.

Would you rather have them ask bathroom-humor obsessed 12-year-olds for names? How about gutter-minded college partiers?

I'd rather they ask gutter-minded old men :)

If they did it would be called the "AMD LZ_Xray 69"

I think AMDs really focusing on APU going forward, which doesn't float my boat as an enthusiast either but is a good move for them as a company.

I'd rather they ask gutter-minded old men :)

If they did it would be called the "AMD LZ_Xray 69"

I think AMDs really focusing on APU going forward, which doesn't float my boat as an enthusiast either but is a good move for them as a company.

Depends on how successful they are at attracting developers to program for their GCN based GPU component. If its as flexible as we expect then this will give a far greater performance boost than focusing on x86 anyway. Think of the x86 component as a scheduler for the GPU :thup:

:rofl: Great call!

Back