• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Amd Motherboards

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ProjectChaos

Registered
what would be the best value am2+ motherboard possible Im cheap but looking for some good, asus is one im looking into

:welcome: to OCF!

What kind of price range are you looking at?
Are you going to overclock or not?

Good boards with no or only small OC's are pretty inexpensive. A good board for high overclocks runs ~$125 minimum.

I would not suggest a cheap ASUS board. ASUS mid- to high-end boards are excellent but their low- to mid-range boards seem to be lacking in the power system, which isn't very good for OC'ing ...

Last edited:
:welcome: to OCF!

What kind of price range are you looking at?
Are you going to overclock or not?
Do you want DDR2 or DDR3 RAM?
DDR2 is slightly cheaper, as are the boards that use it, but isn't very future proof if you buy a newer board later.
DDR3 costs a little more and so do DDR3 boards but DDR3 will probably be reusable for a few years.

Good boards with no or only small OC's are pretty inexpensive. A good board for high overclocks runs ~$125 minimum.

I would not suggest a cheap ASUS board. ASUS mid- to high-end boards are excellent but their low- to mid-range boards seem to be lacking in the power system, which isn't very good for OC'ing ...

^this^

Best under 150 board IMHO.:GIGABYTE GA-790XTA-UD4

Well, as you're looking for an AM2+ motherboard, I'm going to assume that you already have an AM2+ CPU, right? That means you need a board that has DDR2 and not DDR3.

Do you need onboard graphics or do you have a discrete graphics card?

A board that can handle oc would be really nice as it would have the endurance, I do already have a cpu its a amd athlon64 x2 dual core 6000+, I bought a cheapo graphics card nvidia geforce 8500 gt 512 mb, I have 4gb am2 pc28500 1066mhz ram, I already have a asrock n68-s which the rig is running on right now, but one of the ram slots went on the fritz and wont work now, everytime i add ram to that specific slot it wont start, and ive triedall kinds of other ram, idk the mobo I have is like 43 dollars, im not looking for a whole lot higher but something better, the mobo is only 3 months old to begin with so a bad exp with asrock already.. this wwas a barebone.
ive also had to upgrade to a heavy duty amd brass fan thingy cuz the old fan would only hit like 3400rpms an dit would overheat and goto a blue screen everytime at 53c... I heard a temp gauge only accurately detects 49c and below once 50 hits it only means that its somewhere over 50c idk.. but that problem is solved now and I no longer get blue screens since the upgrade. etc etc

if curious I used cool silver thermal paste, works great

I don't know how AMD's built-in video compares with other graphics, never was interested.

Are you looking for built-in video? Your post didn't mention that ...

Nah I dont really care about the chipset but I went ahead and ordered a motherboard anyway, this is what I ended up finding after so long

Any Opinions on this motherboard?

MPN: M3N78-EMH HDMI

Store SKU: 72525

CPU AMD Socket AM2+ / AM2 Processors
AMD Phenom™ / Athlon64 FX / Athlon64 X2/Athlon64 / Sempron processors
AMD Cool'n'Quiet™ Technology
*Support CPU up to 65W
Chipset NVIDIA GeForce 8200
System Bus Up to 5200 MT/s HyperTransport™ 3.0 interface for AM2+ CPU
Memory 4 x DIMM, Max. 8 GB, DDR2 1066/800/667/533 ECC,Non-ECC,Un-buffered Memory
Dual Channel memory architecture
*DDR2 1066 is supported by AM2+ CPU only
**Refer to www.asus.com or user manual for Memory QVL (Qualify Vendor List)
***When installing total memory of 4GB capacity or more, Windows® 32-bit operation system may only recognize less than 3GB. Hence, a total installed memory of less than 3GB is recommended.
Expansion Slots 1 x PCIe x16
1 x PCIe x1
2 x PCI
Scalable Link Interface (SLI™) Support NVIDIA Hybrid SLI-Ready graphics cards
VGA Integrated NVIDIA GeForce Series DirectX10 graphics processor
Hybrid SLI support
Maximus shared memory of 256MB
Supports HDMI interface with HDCP compliant with max. resolution up to 1920x1200
Supports HD resolutions of 720p and 1080p
Supports D-Sub with max. resolution up to 1920x1440 @ 75Hz
Storage Southbridge
1 xUltraDMA 133/100
6 xSATA 3 Gb/s ports
Support RAID 0,1,5,10,JBOD

LAN NVIDIA nForce built-in Gigabit MAC with external Atheros PHY
Audio Realtek® ALC883 8 -Channel High Definition Audio CODEC
Supports S/PDIF out interface, Jack-detect, and Multi-Streaming
USB 12 USB 2.0 ports (8 ports at mid-board, 4 ports at back panel)
ASUS Unique Features ASUS Quiet Thermal Solution
- ASUS Q-Fan

ASUS EZ DIY
- ASUS CrashFree BIOS 3
- ASUS EZ Flash 2
Overclocking Features SFS (Stepless Frequency Selection)
-FSB tuning up to 300MHz at 1MHz increment
Overclocking Protection
- ASUS C.P.R.(CPU Parameter Recall)
Special Features ASUS MyLogo 2
Back Panel I/O Ports 1 x PS/2 Keyboard
1 x PS/2 Mouse
1 x LAN(RJ45) port
4 x USB 2.0/1.1
8 -Channel Audio I/O
1 x HDMI/ DVI/ RGB
Internal I/O Connectors 4 x USB connectors supports additional 8 USB 2.0 ports
1 x Floppy disk drive connector
1 x IDE connector
6 x SATA connectors
1 x CPU Fan connector
1 x Chassis Fan connector
1 x S/PDIF Out connector
1 x 4-pin ATX 12V Power connector
1 x 24-pin EATX Power connector
1 x LPT connector
Front panel audio connector
COM connector
CD/AUX audio in
System Panel
BIOS 8 Mb Flash ROM
DMI 2.0
AMI BIOS
PnP
WfM 2.0
SM BIOS 2.5
ACPI 2.0a
ASUS EZ Flash 2
ASUS MyLogo 2
ASUS CrashFree BIOS 3
Manageability WfM 2.0,DMI 2.0,WOL/WOR by PME,WOR by Ring,PXE
Accessories N/A
Support Disc N/A
Form Factor uATX Form Factor
9.6 inch x 9.3 inch ( 24.4 cm x 23.7 cm )

nVidia chipsets not so good for OCing.

I also would not recommend ASUS for overclocking unless you have an unlocked CPU.

Biostar as mentioned earlier tends to hit 300 HTREF, as well as some gigabyte boards.

If you've already ordered I'm not sure how much our opinions matter ... ;)

... actually I would still love to hear some opinions, did I buy the most f***ed s.o.b on the market, (which I know im far from that), I simply would like feedback nothing more, to my knowledge and from a poor mans perspective I ordered a nice mobo

as a senior member I would expect more... actually I would still love to hear some opinions, did I buy the most f***ed s.o.b on the market, (which I know im far from that), I simply would like feedback nothing more, to my knowledge and from a poor mans perspective I ordered a nice mobo
I'm sorry if you felt that was a poor response - I was trying to be as diplomatic as possible. :)

What's important is what you think about it. Anybody else's opinion should be a distant second ...

Back