• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD or Nvidia?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AnubisOne

Hey Guys,

I know this question has been asked before, but I couldn't find anything to help my decision. What is the better for folding, AMD or Nvidia?

The reason I ask is because I just built a new case/rack (idk what to call it) for my folding rig to get better cooling to the cards and so I can put any size card on, and I'm looking to upgrade the GPUs relatively soon. 750tis are not getting the ppd that I want. The GTX 1080/70's are coming out, but those prices are pretty steep. But with those coming out used GTX 980s/970s are starting to pop up on the market at some decent prices. Looking at new tech though, the RX 480 looks pretty good at a nice price as well. And there has been some news floating around the two RX 480s compete with a GTX 1080, but the power usage will be greater as it always is with AMD cards.

I need some input from you guys. What do you think?

NVidia 980ti 500k ppd, 980 400,000 ppd, 970 300,00 ppd.
nuf said..... well.... 1080 700,000 ppd.

I don't know anything about the new AMD 480 yet. Looking forward to it but my hunch is that it will not compete with the 1080 for production vs watts used which is important for me as I fold 24/7.

Waiting to see this myself. Letting things shake out.

That and the means to feed the moths in my wallet....

Full disclosure though, the answer to this question will change every 6 months or so as new hardware is released. Or as there are changes to different FAH projects/cores. It's always a moving target. :(

Full disclosure though, the answer to this question will change every 6 months or so as new hardware is released. Or as there are changes to different FAH projects/cores. It's always a moving target. :(

Well spoken. Right now one should hold till ppd (also moving target) is clear for 1080/1017/RX480 in a month or so.
Of course, in 6 months there possibly cheaper and more expensive AMD and maybe some ti from nvidia - but right now there's a real bump in performance per watt.

The general consensus seems to be leaning towards Nvidia. Decided to grab a pair of 970s while the prices have dropped some. So far they have been doing me good, pulling 300k ppd a piece.
Hoping the power bill likes these cards too.

The general consensus seems to be leaning towards Nvidia. Decided to grab a pair of 970s while the prices have dropped some. So far they have been doing me good, pulling 300k ppd a piece.
Hoping the power bill likes these cards too.
They are working for you. I just did this weeks EOC review and your name came up more than once. It seems that over the years, team green has outdone team red but neither team has dominated 100% so....

I'm hoping to keep that trend going! Toying with the idea of adding my 980 to the folding, but don't know if i want to take it out of the gaming pc.

I may be adding more soon, we'll see.

I'm all for helping the team out... but every time I look at my stats you get closer and closer. 1.8 weeks out now. Way to go... although it would be better if I could put up more of a fight. lol

It would still be overkill, if you are adding it to your dual 970's you mayonly need a 1000w supply and would get away with a decent 850w - I've got a 980ti and 970 in my folding rig and am pulling 460w from the wall on my AX760, personally I'd look for a decent 800-850w supply and save a few bucks, my personal recommendation would be an AX860.

I already have both an evga 1300 G2 and evga 850 G2.
So the 850 G2 would be enough to run both the 970s and the 980? I was thinking of going with the 1300 just to be safe.

I already have both an evga 1300 G2 and evga 850 G2.
So the 850 G2 would be enough to run both the 970s and the 980? I was thinking of going with the 1300 just to be safe.
I make my gaming rig fold when I'm not playing so that's a thought. If the cards are OC'd either by the factory or by you, they will take more power. With that said, The 1300 will more than power those three cards and it you have it already, why not?

I would fold on my gaming rig, but that's on the second floor and it makes my room too hot when it folds.

This 100 degree weather is also not helping...

Back