• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD Overdrive

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MiNi111

Yo, I got new pc from Cyberpower PC. And in my amd overdrive 4.2.6 I cannot move my "FSB" or ht reference clock. Anyone know why?

My pc:
AMD FX 8350 @ 4.0ghz
AMD 7770HD 1gb
Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A-D3
Windows 8 Home Premium
8gb Ram

AMD is NOT going to dork over their OEMs; so if the setting you wish to change in AOD is actually locked out in the bios then it is locked in AOD also. Cyberpower has NON-adjustable FSB/HT Ref clock in bios so it is NON-adjustable in AOD also. They are not going to let you overclock an OEM system and have issues with the OEM.
RGone...

First...if you're really wanting to OC your rig...Do it the right way in BIOS. :)

As for the issue with AOD. It's that way on my rig too (which is also from CyberpowerPC) yet in BIOS all settings are adjustable. CyberpowerPC systems are fully OC'able through BIOS. The systems they sell are are not locked or crippled in anyway.

First...if you're really wanting to OC your rig...Do it the right way in BIOS. :)

As for the issue with AOD. It's that way on my rig too (which is also from CyberpowerPC) yet in BIOS all settings are adjustable. CyberpowerPC systems are fully OC'able through BIOS. The systems they sell are are not locked or crippled in anyway.

I find it funny the statement "do it right in bios" when OC programs OC the bios anyhows. The best overclocks/overclockers' benchamrks and tweaks are done within windows. Anyone that doesn't use OC programs may be missing out on a bunch of tweaks they can't get to post while trying to get that score or goal from their system.

You will almost always get a better overclock using windows OC programs and tweaks beyond that what bios can post.

Now with AMD OverDrive, it is a picky program. Often times I've noticed it actually worked better with the OC settings on Auto vs manual configuration. Then the Reference clock is adjustable.

Sometimes the software that comes with the board works out even better than AOD. Just gotta do a little trial and error.

AMD FX 8350 @ 4.0ghz + Gigabyte 970A-D3 + what aftermarket cooling?

Mini, Yo welcome to the forums! As said previously, we will usually refrain from using windows based programs for overclocking, including Overdrive. This post is a good starting point for you to learn the inns and outs of what you will need for overclocking the Fx 8350. What heatsink is on the CPU now? Also download Hwmonitor "non pro" version and run Prime 95 for 20 minutes with it open and post a sreen shot here using the in forum attachment tool. This way we have a reference point to see where you are at, at stock settings. Just so you don't get your expectations too high, that motherboard isn't one of the better ones to be overclocking that chip on. It will probably be the limiting factor in your overclock.

Attachments

• insert image.PNG
    insert image.PNG
    68.9 KB · Views: 832
I have that asetek cooling system that comes with cyberpower pc ( I put push-pull fans on it). Ik its like a basic liquid cooling. but yea im mainly jus trying to my fsb by a software not bios.
(and god I should not have gotten windows 8).

Yeah well this guy that I know, bought a PC of cyberpower pc and I know he's moving his fsb by software but idk how he can and I cant. He got the AMD FX 6100. He was a lil bit smarter by getting windows 7. Any one think it could just be the version of AOD I have?

Sometimes the software that comes with the board works out even better than AOD. Just gotta do a little trial and error.

Yeah well I tried using Easy Tune 6, comes with my board and I move the bclk to like 215-220 and it will crash my pc. :bang head

AMD is NOT going to dork over their OEMs; so if the setting you wish to change in AOD is actually locked out in the bios then it is locked in AOD also. Cyberpower has NON-adjustable FSB/HT Ref clock in bios so it is NON-adjustable in AOD also. They are not going to let you overclock an OEM system and have issues with the OEM.
RGone...

I can move my FSB in bios. Unlocked Black Edition. Yet in AOD can't. that's why im so confused

Mini, please re-read this post we are here to help people help themselves learn to overclock. If you don't help us by reading the help we give you it makes it very difficult for us to help you.
AMD FX 8350 @ 4.0ghz + Gigabyte 970A-D3 + what aftermarket cooling?

Mini, Yo welcome to the forums! As said previously, we will usually refrain from using windows based programs for overclocking, including Overdrive. This post is a good starting point for you to learn the inns and outs of what you will need for overclocking the Fx 8350. What heatsink is on the CPU now? Also download Hwmonitor "non pro" version and run Prime 95 for 20 minutes with it open and post a sreen shot here using the in forum attachment tool. This way we have a reference point to see where you are at, at stock settings. Just so you don't get your expectations too high, that motherboard isn't one of the better ones to be overclocking that chip on. It will probably be the limiting factor in your overclock.

Real world check...

AMD OverDrive 4.2.6.x Utility Review

The point of AOD is almost like a vapor when PCWizKid goes thru all the things he sees AOD can do then at about 6:30 mins of the 7:37 video, he says he goes into bios to do all his tweaking.

So I watch 6:30 mins to get to the point where he says he overclocks in the bios like most of us do here already with our DIY built systems.

Now to your Cyberpower OEM type system build. We normally don't have much luck with PRE-built systems and overclocking them. Maybe Cyberpower is different. Maybe Cyberpower users have their own forum somewhere.

Most OEMs build a system and sell it with a motherboard that they have built to their "own" specifications. Almost all the big OEMs like Dell, HP, Gateway etc, have almost NO options for overclocking those PRE-built configurations. Not hard to know why they give mostly NO options for overclocking on the system since they do not plan to have warranty issues with people trying to overclock when they don't know jack squat about overclocking.

Now in the case of the particular Cyberpower system in question, it would seem prudent to try to overclock from bios IF the bios seems to give options for overclocking. Maybe Cyberpower has a different view of letting a user overclock the PRE-built systems that they sell. Who knows? Actually only those whom own specific Cyberpower systems. Most of us don't and won't own such systems. Most of us that hang in here and "try" to help, buy DIY motherboards slanted towards the hobby of overclocking and we learn to use the bios for the explicit purpose of overclocking the cpu and ram etc.

Now before some bright one chimes in with well what about using software to get the very LAST bit out of an overclock? I know what those peeps are referring to. They are going for benching records or E-pen speeds that will not be bootable into windows. Those speeds are not stable or reliable enough to be used daily and only are usable "after" windows has booted. In the case of record seeking, most of those people are hardcore. They are on heavy-duty cooling and know their way around a bios anyway and all they are doing is trying to use speeds that will not boot into windows because of issues. I have been there and done that in the past and used to have a T-shirt from such doings.

So as for the use of AOD and a PRE-built Cyberpower system, your best bet for information is from either Cypberpower themselves or from a location that deals almost exclusively with Cyberpower systems. Maybe the latest AOD is not playing well with Windows 8? Who knows? We don't and likely will not in the overall scope of things. Good luck with your quest.
RGone...

In an effort to provide a bit of info regarding Cyberpower PC systems. First the are NOT OEM like HP, Dell, Gateway etc. They are custom built systems, using the same parts as most here have purchased. The difference is Cyberpower PC builds the system instead of you buying the parts and building it yourself.
All Cyberpower systems can be OC'ed through BIOS just the same as if you went and bought your mobo from MicroCenter, New Egg etc. Their systems are NOT locked in any manner.
As for the OP's issue with AOD, forget using it and read up on OC'ing through BIOS. Honestly, I doubt that the guys (and gals) the bench use software to obtain the super OCs they get (not that it might not be possible to).

In an effort to provide a bit of info regarding Cyberpower PC systems. First the are NOT OEM like HP, Dell, Gateway etc. They are custom built systems, using the same parts as most here have purchased. The difference is Cyberpower PC builds the system instead of you buying the parts and building it yourself.
All Cyberpower systems can be OC'ed through BIOS just the same as if you went and bought your mobo from MicroCenter, New Egg etc. Their systems are NOT locked in any manner.
As for the OP's issue with AOD, forget using it and read up on OC'ing through BIOS. Honestly, I doubt that the guys (and gals) the bench use software to obtain the super OCs they get (not that it might not be possible to).
This^^^ I purchased two systems from Cyberpower, before I decided to start building myself. They do not modify the BIOS at all and any overclocking ability the motherboard that is in the system has will still be in tact.

I doubt that the guys (and gals) the bench use software to obtain the super OCs they get (not that it might not be possible to).

Oh it is most surely possible. I have used Ai Suite (overclocking part only) to get the last 5 or 6 FSB/HT Ref out of my CHV. The CHV is adjustable externally from a laptop for the LN2/Liquid Helium boys. So they even build a mobo able to have the bios and thus the cpu speed changed after windows boots. But I doubt the OP is anywhere near needing that.

Thanks for the heads up on Cyberpower. They are more of a system configurator then and not what most would consider an OEM system supplier. Again heads up thank you.
RGone...

Been using of software since day one. Although I ln and dice processors, some programs are nice just for posting a stock system and setting a windows profile for multiplier only ocs.

Admittedly I mainly use the BIOS to oc my daily driver, but when.I'm really lazy or don't feel like restarting the system I turn to Intel extreme tuning utility for a few hundred extra MHz. Perfectly stableand reliable. The other deal.with that is being able to back the clocks back down on the fly. No restart needed.

And EVERYONE uses software to oc their video cards. There's really no other way.

It realistically boils down to a persons preference and know hows.

I'd make a tutorial myself here, but I don't feel like being continually bashed. By the BIOS experts...

Honestly, I doubt that the guys (and gals) the bench use software to obtain the super OCs they get (not that it might not be possible to).
Actually, when pushing the limits on extreme overclocking, it is quite common and recommended to use windows based or board based changes. We may be able to get to windows at X.xx GHz, but cannot further, so you boot towards that limit and push up with windows apps. ;)
EDIT: Looks like that was taken care of, LOL!

Not all applications change the bios... on some applications when you boot, you do not boot to those settings you set to in windows. So, I believe in most cases, you are not changing the bios... at least with a set change... you may be changing it in windows but unless you set it to boot with windows, its not changing the bios as you boot right into the original settings (Asrock, MSI, at least).

I still hold (In America anyhow) The fastest K8 raw mhz clock cpu-z glory.

Used AMD OverDrive. M3A32 MVP Wifi Deluxe with a borked bios. Meaning it would no longer post 45nm chips such as Semprons and Phenom I & II also Athlon II. This bios was borked running a 940BE that I had de-lidded. The 6400+ was also de-lidded.

And... the Cpu-z http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2125351

That's 4063mhz and If memory serves correctly, that cpu wouldn't post over 3.850 (roughly) from bios. So that was a 200mhz increase in windows alone with a chip that's cold bugged and a board with a half toasted bios.

:attn:

read the Amd FX processors unleashed| a guide to performance tuning with AMD OVERDRIVE and the new AMD FX processors.

you will read that some settings require a reboot.

example, page 4 paragraph 5, CPU/NB multiplier requires a reboot (it can not be adjusted on the fly)

read the Amd FX processors unleashed| a guide to performance tuning with AMD OVERDRIVE and the new AMD FX processors.

you will read that some settings require a reboot.

example, page 4 paragraph 5, CPU/NB multiplier requires a reboot (it can not be adjusted on the fly)

Yea the program has those settings in red for reboot. I found it strange that Turbo can be turned on and off on the fly. That's actually a good thing.

The Cas latency needs a reboot where the clock/divider does not.

In BIOS, when leaving HT on auto, the board sets the HT speed linked to NB at 2000mhz. That right there always drives me nuts.... Go back restart set HT manually (even though it should stay at the default clock of 2600mhz) and restart again.

AMD Overdrive and your board may not like the HT multi lowered on the fly often times causing a blue screen or Freeze up.

But for an all around program, all the memory tweaks on the fly are really nice and even sports some features that some BIOS's may not even show to be adjustable.

Really I could go on and on about AMD overdrive.

With my M4A boards I used Turbo-V on plenty of occasions with pretty good luck too!

AMD mem tweak program on the K8s was always nice for Pi runs, and MSI After Burner is also a Great Neh, super great windows OC app.....

On my Llano HTPC rig there in my sig. Currently running 3.2ghz from 2.9 and the mem is running 888mhz with a reference clock of 111mhz. I can set this up in windows or in bios, it's stable the same either way. Also I have the voltage lowered from the stock 1.35v (auto max P-state) to... well right now cpu-z reads out 1.008v I found this chip didn't need any great amount of voltage at this low of a clock speed. Temps on load will never see 50c ever.

Back