• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD Overdrive

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
the issue with 24/7 clocking with software is that i have had it corrupt, amd overdrive and asus ai suite.
I still use ai suite and rog connect but only when i need to and then i take them right out.

I feel that suggesting, using the BIOS, for new overclockers is a good idea. It will help them learn more about their motherboard and pc as a whole. I do use windows based programs when trying to get the last bit out of a chip but as Caddi said they can cause issues. I don't know how many people know about the AI suite and CHV issue but myself, CD and Rgone do. I also use ROG connect which works well, when really pushing.

All this discussion is quite interesting. On other OC forums, if you mention using software to OC, you get jumped, drawn & quartered, and generally laughed at and told the ONLY proper way to OC is in BIOS.
I applaud my fellow OCN members.

All this discussion is quite interesting. On other OC forums, if you mention using software to OC, you get jumped, drawn & quartered, and generally laughed at and told the ONLY proper way to OC is in BIOS.
I applaud my fellow OCN members.

Well not to disregard the respects of the original poster, he asked about using software to over clock and it was quickly dismissed. "Bios is better, Bios is the right way ect."

I personally feel that's BS. People can learn their bios right in windows when all the settings are pretty much the same, wording and everything.

Some time ago I had made a quick tutorial of AOD and it took of pretty well. People learned to OC where they where comfy while windows was running and quickly "test" their new settings on the fly without using a lot of time reposting the PC over and over and over and perhaps still not getting it right even after evenings of trying.

Here check it out. Please excuse, it's old and very dated, but got the point across at the time.Hopefully I helped a plenty ton of people with AOD??http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/showthread.php?t=297148

Well not to disregard the respects of the original poster, he asked about using software to over clock and it was quickly dismissed. "Bios is better, Bios is the right way ect."

I personally feel that's BS. People can learn their bios right in windows when all the settings are pretty much the same, wording and everything.

And I'll admit I was the one that did that. It was done based upon what has been drummed into my head from other oc'ers. I'm finding that here at OCN, things are different, including a (for the most part) lack of the insert CPU manufacturer's name is better than insert CPU manufacturer's name I can honestly say that I have learned more here than on any other OC forum.

The main problem with software overclocking is there inherintly unstable and I have yet to use one yet that has run flawlessly every time and there is no ram ratio devider on software tools and this is one of the fundamental basics that need to be understood when overclocking, moving sliders up and down also never seems like you can break things, where as if you set 1.6v in the bios, you are slightly anxious and definately aware you gave pushed the voltage there, I like oc tools, but only for 5 mins tweaking :D

1. "kyfire" this is not OCN. It is Overclockers com Forums or OCF. There is an OCN but it aint' us.

2. I agree with Keny on just about every point he makes and especially about the overclocking software not being flawless all the time. I have had software corrupt just like any windows software will do. I have had OC software lose its' mind because of a video driver. And I have had overclocking software polling for information have issues with my preferred Temp monitoring software. But I have not corrupted a bios since leaving the NF2 days. Maybe once or twice on NF4, but I really cannot remember. That is getting on to being a good while ago. So I greatly prefer Bios overclocking and will only resort to software when I look for that last few Mhz of cpu speed.

3. I think this discussion has gone along pretty well because the majority of us that help all the time are pretty solid peeps. Most of us that help daily 24/7 all talk out of the forum. We can brainstorm anything out of the forum. In forums it has always seemed better to stay on the same page. Knowing that we all stick to bios overclocking since it holds up for the average user and the bigger more read threads on How To Overclock are done from the bios, so we do not go and try to RE-invent the wheel as it were.

4. For my ownself, if someone wants to stay around and help all the software overclockers, then I say get after it. I will not even post in that thread. They can tweak and tune and software overclock all those that want to go that route. In fact they could start a thread and service all who want to software overclock. Take some load off of some of us likely.

RGone...

I agree on stability of software over clocking. Since all systems are different, everyone will get a different experience.

Obviously, if your getting blue screens from BIOS overclocking, it would be just as unstable as the software. Dutifully admitting here that there is no.stable.oc program, we Could say that is true with.almost every windows software written program.....no surprise huh?

And now our bios's even have more software programming including the use of a mouse and even more power saving features than ever before. Green is where all manufacturer have to go, but why even include that software in the BIOS when you buy a mono that costs hundreds and is supposedly meant for overclocking? Simple, we are really not meant to break warranties.

I've killed boards and bios's over clocking. In BIOS and windows. Currupted hdds with both as well.

A.proper.reaponce to any beginner even with BIOS oc or software would be a little at a time and show the ropes.no matter what direction the oc came from.

IMO nothing wrong with a Guy seeking some MHz with software Especially if the BIOS.is locked. Clockgen is a great example of old school overclocking on old locked.down bios's.

I had never used the software approach until I was urged by S_B in another forum. So I tried the AOD didn't care for it . It just felt too invasive for a lack of better words. Then I tried Turbo Evo which is part of the AI suite. That allowed me to get SuperPi - 1M - 14sec 102ms - FX-8350 @ 5469.3MHz . I don't think I could have got it otherwise with my current setup. Maybe when winter comes back.

Obviously, if your getting blue screens from BIOS overclocking, it would be just as unstable as the software.
Is it though? That is what I am saying. When you push the limits with DI/LN2, you sometimes cant get through the bios/boot at the limit and NEED software to get through it.

Let's remember what the BIOS is there for, to setup the system parameters for the OS. Once in the OS, the bios isn't used AFAIK. Have you ever tried with windows overclocking software to boot with the settings you chose in the software and went to the bios before going in to windows? Do you see those settings in the BIOS? I know with EasyTune, I didn't. MSI CommandCenter may as its software looks EXACTLY like the bios. That said, I have never checked, but can when I get home. I still stand by, but could be mistaking, that windows software does NOT touch the bios as the bios' job is already completed when you are in windows. Another thing to consider is boards with multiple bios, you can flash the one you are on. How is that possible if you are using it (unless it offloads the bios to ram/hdd?)?

Most software does not f10 and save changes. You are correct. Its on the fly without the f10 feature of BIOS. But if you could view your BIOS while in windows the multiplier should change with the software when applied.

Since AMD released this program, I can safely say it has gotten better through time and WR's happened cause of it.

With this in mind...
Let's remember what the BIOS is there for, to setup the system parameters for the OS. Once in the OS, the bios isn't used AFAIK....Another thing to consider is boards with multiple bios, you can flash the one you are on. How is that possible if you are using it (unless it offloads the bios to ram/hdd?)?

What makes you say this...is there something you know about BIOS/UEFI that makes you feel that way or was that just a guess? (that is ok, just wondering why you are thinking this way)
But if you could view your BIOS while in windows the multiplier should change with the software when applied.

I know we are a bit off topic, but curiosity is killing me...:D

MSR, Machine Specific Registers is the most likely location for software to make adjustments to cpu speed and so forth.
RGone...

So after a quick google, it seems to confirm that windows based software is not touching the bios, correct?

So after a quick google, it seems to confirm that windows based software is not touching the bios, correct?

Maybe that might be made a little more clear if we said that software used from within the operating system is not writing any changes to the firmware programmed onto the bios chip nor that made by users and "saved" to CMOS.

However the software used within windows is over-riding information from the bios, given to the system setup done at booting.
RGone...

EDIT:
Let me make a small addition here from one without sheepskin of any type. Nothing about a computer is just done in thin air. It is stored or located somewhere. One of the reasons that ram is checked near the beginning of booting is that the bios information is expanded into ram. You all remember and still think many bioses have the option to use a "shadow ram" menu item which kept the bios information in ram after bootup. Many of us would disable that to allow more space in the ram.

Now we come to software that is changing the system running parameters. Is additional space taken up by the software in ram? I have not found any answer directly to this. Might take someone smarter than me to just "know" how that circumstance might be answered.

I guess where I am going is here. If a setting must be re-polled, the bios has not changed nor is corrupt so the RE-poll gets an accurate answer. However if the bios is being over-ridden by software and there is a RE-poll of specific settings the setting is now coming from software that can be being corrrupted in the O/S or Ram.

I knew when this particular conversation was pursued that there would be some dead-ends. Software for overclocking can be pretty proprietary. Or maybe not, but the full disclosure will likely not be forthcoming as to all that the software can do or how it does it. And I fear in the end it will be a subject that will not have a full and complete answer or understanding.

No full understanding is why I will continue to overclock from the Bios itself until I decide I want to try for that last few MHZ that are not stable enough to allow the operating system to boot as it normally would and should. After reaching that super MHZ, I will continue to unload the software overclocking tool and go back to business as usual. That is me though.
END EDIT.

Last edited:
RGone, you make really thought out statements. And very valid input..... BUT my point is that using software "CAN" be ok for people, there's nothing wrong with it and so far...... every one that says use bios has agreed to using software at some particular point.

The rest of it really doesn't mean anything, and opening doors and expanding your max record is EVERY OC'ers goal. Better Pi times, Prime times, faster cinebench times, better fps's on and on and on. In the end, how much you apply yourself is where your OC will end up, or your max goal perhaps.... Comps for nothing? OC for the comp with just bios??!! I don't think so. :D

@ EarthDog....

I'd do this testing, But I just picked up 20L of LN2 and I'm pulling my FX chip from the for sale section. Not to many bites, so I may as well give it some 1.9+ volts and use some software and hope for 7-8ghz :attn:

Nobody said it wasn't ok. :)

And no need for testing, I think my point was made with an assist from rgone...ster!

Nobody said it wasn't ok. :)

And no need for testing, I think my point was made with an assist from rgone...ster!

It was implied as not ok..... oh nvm lolz

And some settings may change in bios and stay changed, we'll never really know without testing theories. :thup:

@scotty, check Cp and remove my sale post please! thanks.

Reread rgone...sters post again. It does not change anything in the bios.

Damn.. I didn't see his edit. Lol! Still though it doesn't appear to change anything in the bios.. aww f it. I will test tonight on command center and easytune and report back. :)

Back