• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD Phenom II 965 BE Getting warm....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Boosted98gsx

So I have been running this processor now for some time on windows 7. I OC'd it (multiplier only) to 4.0 Ghz from the get go and Prime95'd it stable for 1/2 a day. It NEVER got above 44*C during the "burn in" with a Zalman 9700 heatsink. It idled in the low 30's.

Now, while running minecraft or ARK, my processor is sometimes spiking up to 50*C. WTH? How is it that it is being more heavily utilized and burdened to such extreme temps than when I first OC'd it? I've had to drop the clock multi down to 3.8 GHz to keep it cooler.

I've re-thermal pasted the heatsink several times, and always keep it dust free. I'm running GC-Extreme thermal paste now, and it's not helping in the slightest. Processor is now idling in the high 30's sometimes 40's.

Anyone have any ideas?

What does it do under prime95 for Temps now? Are you shooting even higher than the 50C you get from minecraft? It it isn't the am isn't Temps being higher, I would check a couple things as troubleshooting measures.

1) even though it shouldn't have changed, where is the voltage at? A bump in the voltage will bring higher Temps.

2) is there any way the GPU or PSU could be dumping more heat in the case?

Something that happened to me with my chip: I moved the multi up to 20 and booted in @ 4ghz with great Temps and stability, only to find out later that the cores weren't locked. 1 core @ 4ghz all the rest were at stock. The fix was to make sure I had the latest chipset drivers from the manufacturer. Im not saying that is what you're dealing with, just that it bears ruling out.

Voltage is OEM. I specifically aimed for a stable OC that wouldn't require a voltage increase.

I have configured my fans in such a way that even if my GPU were dumping in more heat, it would be evacuated far before it would reach the CPU. 2 front fans are sucking, everything else is at full blow :p

Though my PSU was designed to be a top mounted unit and is now at the bottom of my chassis, I don't see it as being the culprit. It's been a good stable unit.

I'll P95 it when I get back home this evening just to check it out, and I'll upgrade my chipset drivers as well to be certain.

I will say this, it has handled everything I've thrown at it. Been a DARNED good chip for certain. I'd hate to have to upgrade because of heat :-\ when an "upgrade" means a full mobo, ram, processor, etc.

When you say you aimed at a Stable Overclock that wouldn't require a voltage increase. Does this mean you set the voltage manually to what it was stock and then Overclocked it or you left it on AUTO and OCed it? There is a big difference between the two and if you left it on auto the board will raise the voltage to try and meet the demands of the chip. You may need to go back to square one and overclock it with the voltage set manually.

It's been a while, but I believe I have the voltage set at a specific number, not at AUTO. Either way, that's off topic and shouldn't be a factor in the reason as to why my processor is heating up over time. The core speed hasn't increased, rather decreased, and the temps are still higher than they were from the get go.

It's been a while, but I believe I have the voltage set at a specific number, not at AUTO. Either way, that's off topic and shouldn't be a factor in the reason as to why my processor is heating up over time. The core speed hasn't increased, rather decreased, and the temps are still higher than they were from the get go.
Actually not true, if the board is set on AUTO the voltage isn't static, therefore it could be giving the chip more voltage then previously. When was the last time the board itself was cleaned and or is it dusty? If it is try blowing off the heatsinks and such.

There's only a couple things that will raise your CPU temps...... more VCore higher ambient temps are at the top of the list after that it's dust, airflow and fans. You say your CPU cooler is clean, new thermal paste and you have good airflow, cool something you may not have thought about is how is the fan spinning on the cooler it could just be a case of the fan is starting to crap out on you. Also new gpu's can dump more heat into a case especially if they are AMD R9 series.

Just a couple things to consider.

I'm surprised a 965 could run 4.0G, P95 stable on "OEM" voltage. It would have to be a real sweetheart.

Actually not true, if the board is set on AUTO the voltage isn't static, therefore it could be giving the chip more voltage then previously. When was the last time the board itself was cleaned and or is it dusty? If it is try blowing off the heatsinks and such.

I religiously de-dust my system with an air compressor every month or so. There are no dust clogs anywhere that would be massive enough result in this significant of a temp increase.

There's only a couple things that will raise your CPU temps...... more VCore higher ambient temps are at the top of the list after that it's dust, airflow and fans. You say your CPU cooler is clean, new thermal paste and you have good airflow, cool something you may not have thought about is how is the fan spinning on the cooler it could just be a case of the fan is starting to crap out on you. Also new gpu's can dump more heat into a case especially if they are AMD R9 series.

Just a couple things to consider.

I'm running the GPU that's in my sig. That hasn't changed.

I have a manual fan speed controller on my zalman, and it's maxed. Fan isn't making any of the typical "bearing going out" noises, it's not out of balance, and its pitch hasn't changed that would indicate a fan slowing down. So, I don't think that's a factor either.

I'm surprised a 965 could run 4.0G, P95 stable on "OEM" voltage. It would have to be a real sweetheart.

She was a bit of a factory freak (car tuning term). I was very fortunate to get this CPU. Very good silicon, and very responsive. I think I was able to stabilize her at 3.95 GHZ on factory voltage (close enough for gov't work). 4.0 required a small bump, but I have since reduced her to 3.8 and back to factory vcore.

It is possible that one of the heat pipes has failed on the cooler. If all else is the same (ambients) and it's clean etc.. there isn't much left aside from fluctuating voltages or a failed cooler. Also a possibility that the Mobo is showing it's age with dirtier signals and it creating more heat from the power section.

Yea, I'll go ahead and validate my chipset drivers are up to date tonight then run P95 on her. See how she does. If that is to no avail, I might as well dump some money into a new cooler.

It is possible that one of the heat pipes has failed on the cooler. If all else is the same (ambients) and it's clean etc.. there isn't much left aside from fluctuating voltages or a failed cooler. Also a possibility that the Mobo is showing it's age with dirtier signals and it creating more heat from the power section.

This.

When you say you aimed at a Stable Overclock that wouldn't require a voltage increase. Does this mean you set the voltage manually to what it was stock and then Overclocked it or you left it on AUTO and OCed it? There is a big difference between the two and if you left it on auto the board will raise the voltage to try and meet the demands of the chip. You may need to go back to square one and overclock it with the voltage set manually.

"Auto" can cause the Vcore to be too high and throttle. :(

Any tests shall be DQ'ed until you manually set the Vcore!

OK. I am back home. Verfied my chipset drivers are up to date. Reset the BIOS to all defaults (3.6GHZ factory speed) and am running P95 right now. Processor is sitting at 50*C. At this point I'm thinking it has to be the heatpipe.

VCore on a Phenom II 965 BE is what? Mine is sitting at 1.4750....?

they all differ.
open cpu-z, on the bottom click the tool button, click save report as .txt.
go open that report, on the first page it will report the vid coded into the cpu.

Back