• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD Phenom II x2 550 Black Edition

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ry0uSh1n

Registered
Hello all, my initial project started with a AMD Athlon II x3 450 Rana, as such that has been replaced my a AMD Phenom II x2 550 Black Edition, which per the details is a UNLOCKED cpu. I would like to fully unlock this cpu as well as try to achieve 3.8-4.0 ghz with it as I know any higher and I may require a better cooling system. (See sig for current system) I changed to this processor due to the recommendation of trents who helped me with my rana. I do hope maybe he comes across this thread and can give me a boost with this recommendation of his. :)

Any help in this matter is greatly appreciated. As the settings arent quite the same as the 450 rana. Also within my bios has the option to "unlock" but when enabling that option causes system to restart before hitting OS splash screen. Thanks again

Update: I forgot to change a setting back to default, as such left me with the error of reboot before OS splash. System will boot with default settings, and with "unlocked" enabled in bios, but it just hit me that my board is rated for a 95w cpu. As such I dont think that unlocking the 3rd core which is shown in the screen would help unles i got a board to support it. So It seems I am left with oc'ing.

Attachments

• unlocked.JPG
    unlocked.JPG
    44.2 KB · Views: 866
Your board may very well be able to cope with one core unlocked. Most bioses that have core unlocking ability also the ability to lock specific cores. Try it with three cores and try one locked core and then the other. One of the locked cores may be out of spec and will draw to much power but the other one may be spot on.

going off memory, i believe there is an option to enable/disable cores. when I enable core unlock, the option below it lists cores as follows:

core 0
core 1
core 2
core 3

Im assuming that means 4 cores, as such i aslo think that when i have "unlocked" disabled it shows only core 0 & core 1.What I gather is that I should enable the core unlock and then lock core 3, so that I have cores 0-2 and then try a prime test? if that passes lock 2 and unlock 3 and repeat?

Also, I have been doing 20 min primes. My last successful is as follows.

CPU Clock Ratio - x15
CPU NB Freq - x9
CPU Host Clock Control - 225
HT Link Freq - x9
Memory Clock - x5.33
DDR3 Volt - 1.50 (default value)
CPU NBVID - 1.17
CPU Volt - 1.37
Load Line - Regular

Note: The attached CPU-Z images are not under a prime test. I dont know if that has any indication as to different reading's. Just to give you an idea where im at.

Attachments

• cpu.JPG
    cpu.JPG
    44 KB · Views: 764
  • mem.JPG
    mem.JPG
    39.2 KB · Views: 764
  • spd.JPG
    spd.JPG
    46.8 KB · Views: 773
I should also note that in my bios the following options are open to me with the following settings:
CPU Clock Ratio - has a max value of x35 / min x5
CPU NB Freq - has a max value of x20 / min x5
HT Link Freq - has a max value of x13 / min x1

Also should note that I ran a test with the following settings:
CPU Clock Ratio - x12.5
CPU NB Freq - x9
CPU Host Clock Control - 250
HT Link Freq - x9
Memory Clock - x5.33
CPU NBVID - 1.17
CPU Volt - 1.37
Load Line - Regular

Temps were TMPIN2 52 c /Core 37c

To max out my memory. I had not done as you have had me done before with the small increments in hcc, wanted to insure a proper read and work out what I thought was a bug, but just was a wire I had nudge loose by accident, when installing the cpu. Fixed that.

Update:
Will boot with all cores enabled, but fails prime test immediately. BSOD
CORE 0 Enabled
CORE 1 Enabled
CORE 2 Enabled
CORE 3 Enabled

Will not go beyond windows splash screen. Reboots.
CORE 0 Enabled
CORE 1 Enabled
CORE 2 Enabled
CORE 3 Disabled

Boots into windows. Failed prime test immediatly. No BSOD, just error in prime.
CORE 0 Enabled
CORE 1 Enabled
CORE 2 Disabled
CORE 3 Enabled

Did not test beyond the prime test fails.

EDIT:
All prime tests done with default values.
CPU Clock Ratio - x15.5 (default value)
CPU NB Freq - x10 (default value)
CPU Host Clock Control - 200 (default value)
HT Link Freq - x10 (default value)
Memory Clock - x6.66 (default value)
CPU NBVID - 1.15 (default value)
CPU Volt - 1.35 (default value)
Load Line - Regular

Last edited:
One of the locked cores may be out of spec and will draw to much power but the other one may be spot on.

I going with core 2 maybe able to be used, unsure outside of the prime test, but i would go with core 2 is prob either just out of spec, or draws to much power. If anything could I increase my CPU VOLT & CPUNBVID(VCORE), and that would possible help to pass a prime test, or would cores 2 & 3 be just ultimately shot, and my luck with this cpu be just oc'ing with 2cores?

Update:
Will boot with all cores enabled, but fails prime test immediately. BSOD
CORE 0 Enabled
CORE 1 Enabled
CORE 2 Enabled
CORE 3 Enabled

Will not go beyond windows splash screen. Reboots.
CORE 0 Enabled
CORE 1 Enabled
CORE 2 Enabled
CORE 3 Disabled

Boots into windows. Failed prime test immediatly. No BSOD, just error in prime.
CORE 0 Enabled
CORE 1 Enabled
CORE 2 Disabled
CORE 3 Enabled

Did not test beyond the prime test fails.

EDIT:
All prime tests done with default values.
CPU Clock Ratio - x15.5 (default value)
CPU NB Freq - x10 (default value)
CPU Host Clock Control - 200 (default value)
HT Link Freq - x10 (default value)
Memory Clock - x6.66 (default value)
CPU NBVID - 1.15 (default value)
CPU Volt - 1.35 (default value)
Load Line - Regular

Try the third option (core two disabled) again but this time give the CPU more volts.

Now that you have a black edition CPU I would first see how well it will overclock using only the CPU Clock Ratio instead of the FSB. You're overclocking it like you did your Rana core which had an upwardly locked CPU Clock Ratio.

Just an FYI, Ry0uSh1n, I had a 955be in the same case. It isn't great for airflow and it became the limiting factor in my quest for 4.0. Once I bought a better case, I was able to get there.

The attached is with the highest voltage i can go before getting into the red.
All other values are set to default.

Attachments

• error.JPG
    error.JPG
    116.7 KB · Views: 755
Set everything back to factory default settings by hitting the F5 key as you are booting up. Then see how far you can overclock the CPU by using only the CPU clock ratio and the CPU Volts. Raise the ration .5x at a time and run the 20 minute Prime95 blend test after each increase. Add more CPU volts only when you encounter stress test failure. See how far you can overclock it as a dual core this way first.

im assuming that means with the cpu locked @ 2 cores. and CPU VOLT, you dont mean the CPUNBVID ??

I was just referring to your own list of bios settings in post #8 which I quoted. There's one there that says "CPU Volt = 1.35 (default value)". It's the next to the last one in the list inside the quote window.

Yes, locked up as a two core like it came in the box. I think I said, "see how far you can overclock it as dual core this way first" in my last post.

3515Ghz
Clock Ratio 17.5
CPU Volt 1.41

Last successful test to pass.After that cpu volt, next set of voltages on in the red. didnt want to test the waters that far without some guidance.

Last edited:
1.41 volts is still a very, very modest overclocking voltage. Don't worry about the bios color scheme whether is blue, purple, yellow or red. They're just covering their backside. Don't worry about actual voltage until your max CPU voltages begin to exceed 1.55 under load . . . as long as your core temps and CPU socket temp remain under 60c and 70c respectively. Temps are more of a danger indicator than voltages are.

Last blue screen .. Memory Management.. Did not touch anything outside of clock ratio and cpu volt.

Last successful.
3716Ghz
CPU Clock 18.5
CPU Volt 1.53

Running into more bsods, then anything after my last successful 20 min prime. Some IRQL others I cant even identify. Can still up the voltage, but unsure if will be able to maintain a stable boot. Currently at stock settings.

Why did you go back to stock stettings after a a BSOD? Just back up the multiplier to the last stable value. Please do that and the retest with Prime. Post back with pics of HWMonitor immediately after the stress test and also the three CPU-z tabs.

stock settings as in the original default settings. if i go back to the last successful of :

3716Ghz
CPU Clock 18.5
CPU Volt 1.53

how long of a test should i run. Though my temps were around 54c for tmpin2 and oddly enough 33c on the cpu .. that didnt seem right to me.. any how let me know your thoughts on the different temps and ill change the values back to the above in this post.

Back