• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD Phenom II x2 550 Black Edition

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
stock settings as in the original default settings. if i go back to the last successful of :

3716Ghz
CPU Clock 18.5
CPU Volt 1.53

how long of a test should i run. Though my temps were around 54c for tmpin2 and oddly enough 33c on the cpu .. that didnt seem right to me.. any how let me know your thoughts on the different temps and ill change the values back to the above in this post.

Well these settings did not pass a 35min test. dropped down to Clock 18 volt 1.49 .. running test.

My old board: ASUS M3A AMD 770 Chipset
http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_AM2Plus/M3A/#specifications

My currently installed board:
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4125#sp

Trying to do a comparison of the two. Both allow for overclocking, but I am just going off a feeling that my current board is causing me the issues I am coming across within some games, and as of recently, thanks to my wife, tearing in adobe photo. Any info as to the pros/cons for these boards is greatly appreciated.

Yes I know these are old boards, and I am sure that if I put alot of actual price checking work and a little knowledge I can find an upgrade for MAYBE under 100$ usd. Maybe around income tax time. Any suggestions that would fit within my current board/budget, those are also greatly accepted.

Last edited:
Yes, your motherboard is not that wonderful for overclocking and you have done well to get the overclock you currently have. However, you probably are not far from the max overclock for that CPU. Look in the CPU-z "CPU" tab at the stepping information. It's a C2 stepping. Later they came out with a C3 stepping for that processor series which was a little more power efficient and they would overclock a little higher, maybe to 3.8 ghz. The main thing you might gain (no guarantee) from a better motherboard would be a higher wattage rating ("TDP" or Total Design Power) which might allow you to unlock some cores and still be within the TDP of the board.

You would definitely want to get a motherboard with heatsinks on the VRM area.

Last edited:
I did not even look at the specs of the older Asus mobo but that board >> GA-78LMT-S2P (rev. 5.x) << is certainly not a board for tweaking a cpu overclock.

Would my ASUS board fit within range, as the cpu is backwards compatible, to "possible" hold over til feb/march time? As far as overclocking features?

No heatsinks on the VRM area. The boards I listed for you in post #27 are all better boards and in the same price range. Plus, they are AM3+ and so would be compatible with the new generation of CPUs as well as compatible with your socket AM3 CPU.

of the 3 you listed trents, given my current setup in my sig, which would be best all around for my cpu

I would go with the Asus board. Asus is the preferred brand of the overclocking community.

Back