• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD Phenom II X2 550 Callisto 3.1GHz‎ unlocked and Oc'd to Phenom II X4 Deneb 3

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LukeLC23

AMD Phenom II X2 550 Callisto 3.1GHz‎ unlocked and Oc'd to Phenom II X4 Deneb 3

Hi, I have recently upgraded my machine by adding a lot of cooling such as the ZALMAN CNPS9900 NT. I was so happy about the temperatures I decided to try to overclock and unlock the two other cores. I just decided on a random number and it is at 3.6 ghz right now with a 18X multiplier.

Here are the temps on Everest and CPU-Z

http://i798.photobucket.com/albums/yy267/LukeLC23/Untitled.jpg

If you cannot see it, it's at 36 C for the CPU which is pretty good in my mind. Before I added my fans it was at 70 C idle for just the normal Callisto!

All I did to overclock is change the multiplier in BIOS.
Is this a stable OC?

Hi, I have recently upgraded my machine by adding a lot of cooling such as the ZALMAN CNPS9900 NT. I was so happy about the temperatures I decided to try to overclock and unlock the two other cores. I just decided on a random number and it is at 3.6 ghz right now with a 18X multiplier.

Here are the temps on Everest and CPU-Z

http://i798.photobucket.com/albums/yy267/LukeLC23/Untitled.jpg

If you cannot see it, it's at 36 C for the CPU which is pretty good in my mind. Before I added my fans it was at 70 C idle for just the normal Callisto!

All I did to overclock is change the multiplier in BIOS.
Is this a stable OC?

Is that ^^^ temp idle or loaded? If it's idle thats a bit warm, if thats load that is excellent. As far as it being stable, my favorite test of stability is an all night run of Prime 95 blend. If it's still going when I wake up...I call it good.

Yes it was lol. Hence why I bought 3 more fans and a 75 dollar cpu fan :santa2:. And that's at idle so I just decided to use it at the stock 3.1 ghz but with quad enabled because i was playing Halo 2 and it crashed. I don't know if that's the cpu or the gpu but to be safe i'll stick with stock. I'll run prime overnight to see if the quad core is stable and post the results.

when my 550 is unlocked to a quad i can pass a 12 hour prime but when i game i crash and here noises like something is tearing so its not good.

sure its not your video card crapping out? lol
Yeah that's what it sounds like to me. My old 9800 GTX+ with an aftermarket cooler on it used to artifact alot in intense games and then all the sudden the sound started making bad noises like you described. I took the HS off and applied some Arctic Silver 5 and then cleaned the fan and it fixed the problem for good.

If you're running 3.6gHz stable at only 36C full load, then you could probably hit 3.8gHz or maybe even 4.0gHz (I know some people have gotten it stable with 4 cores unlocked at 4.1gHz+) It depends on your mobo and other components.

Yeah that's what it sounds like to me. My old 9800 GTX+ with an aftermarket cooler on it used to artifact alot in intense games and then all the sudden the sound started making bad noises like you described. I took the HS off and applied some Arctic Silver 5 and then cleaned the fan and it fixed the problem for good.

If you're running 3.6gHz stable at only 36C full load, then you could probably hit 3.8gHz or maybe even 4.0gHz (I know some people have gotten it stable with 4 cores unlocked at 4.1gHz+) It depends on your mobo and other components.

nope i tried a 5850 a 5770 and my friend 4850 all had the issues and was only when i was unlocked

Well maybe you have a fualty core? Although it seems odd since you can pass Prime95 for 12hours... Hmmm maybe someone a little more knowledgeable could help.

Well maybe you have a fualty core? Although it seems odd since you can pass Prime95 for 12hours... Hmmm maybe someone a little more knowledgeable could help.

yeah the 4th unlocked extra core was faulty i already had a thread on this.(prime sometimes misses things haha) third core was good though

Back