• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE Overclock

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Keniger

MoBo : Gigabyte MA785GT-UD3H
Cpu : In title
Ram : 4Gb Kingston's 1600Mhz
PSU : Coolermaster AS-ASAA-700 700W Modular

Damn Cpu doesn't want to work on 4 Ghz :bang head

Now I have 3.8Ghz Multipler 19x, voltage 1.425
Then If I put this ***** multipler on 20x, after moment BSOD -.-
I added more voltage 1.450/1.5 V and nothing :attn:

Whats wrong ?
Maybe my memory are not configure good ?
What I'll do ?

:welcome: Welcome to the madness in here.

There is a lot of information that is not in your post that is needed in order to know what is going however many miles away from our keyboard that you are. When overclocking using the cpu multiplier (16, 17, 18 etc), the ram is almost never the problem.

Temps of the cpu core when under load. How many sticks of ram. Got an easy graphic that will show you what we need to 'see'. Application wise there are three pieces of software you need to download and make runnable. CPUz and HWMonitor (Freeware) from CPUID Com and Prime 95 from Mersenne Org. Google finds them easily. Image of needed information is below.

attachment.php

You might need to add some CPUNB voltage. Bringing it up to about 1.225-1.25 usually helps with stability. To get those 955's to 4.0 typically requires close to 1.55 vcore as well but make sure you are monitoring core temps. Don't allow them to exceed 60c. Speaking of core temps you say nothing about them and high core temps is one of the common causes of instability. As RGone suggests, use HWMonitor to check them as you load the CPU. Having said all that, it is true that a lot of X 4 955's simply will not do 4.0 ghz on air.

Temp in OCCT about 2h is abovie 65, in Bf3 60

My colling is Zalman CNPX10 Performa.

I'll do like trents wrote when I'll come home. Thanks for posted :D ! Im new on this forum.

@@@@@@@@@@@@
BTW
If I want to overclock (Multipler and HT link), Should I change memory clock to the lowest ? To doesn't limit the processor ?

Last edited:
RGone said:
When overclocking using the cpu multiplier (16, 17, 18 etc), the ram is almost never the problem.

Keniger said:
BTW
If I want to overclock (Multipler and HT link), Should I change memory clock to the lowest ? To doesn't limit the processor ?

Like was said earlier, the ram does not have much if anything to do with a cpu clocked up by the multiplier

Unless your bios calls CPU Frequency/FSB, calls it HT Link for some odd reason and i doubt it, then you would never slow the ram to clock HT Link or otherwise. In fact you would speed up the ram to NOT limit the processor.

A good what in the crap do I do to overclock a Phenom 2 and some description of terms and what in the heck is going on type stuff.

Overclocking the Phenom II

Last edited:
You might need to add some CPUNB voltage. Bringing it up to about 1.225-1.25 usually helps with stability. To get those 955's to 4.0 typically requires close to 1.55 vcore as well but make sure you are monitoring core temps. Don't allow them to exceed 60c. Speaking of core temps you say nothing about them and high core temps is one of the common causes of instability. As RGone suggests, use HWMonitor to check them as you load the CPU. Having said all that, it is true that a lot of X 4 955's simply will not do 4.0 ghz on air.
lolol incorrect information...
Would you like me to show you a Phenom II X4 955/965 running 4.3 GHz stable on air with 0.9v CPU-NB? :rolleyes:

Saying "close to 1.55v" vcore here is not the right way to go about this IMO...no offense but it is best to inch the frequency up a little at a time using the minimum required voltage for each clock speed.

If he needs 1.4v at 3.8 perhaps, then up HT Ref. Clock by 1 MHz and keep testing, then inch voltage up when unstable, etc.

I do agree that it is best to increase core voltage in small increments and to test for stability and monitor temps at each increment. I never suggested jacking the voltage all the way up to 1.55 from the get go. I was simply intending to convey that in the end if you want to be stable at 4 ghz this is what you may find is needed.

And I still believe that adding some extra CPUNB v often helps stabilize an overclock even when the CPUNB frequency is stock. I would say the same thing about ram frequency and voltage. When the cores are going faster and faster the interaction between various components is more stressed and can be helped by a little voltage bump. And you will see little or no temp increase with only a CPUNB voltage bump to 1.225. Large bumps will have a significant impact on core temps.

Last edited:
Back