• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD phenom II X4 BE 965 + G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600MHz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kosay1991

Hi all.

I feel like a complete and total noob... I recently upgraded my RAM to the new ripjaws X series and am running them at DDR3 1600MHz and I just migrated the saved extreme profile as is (8-8-8-24 at tCL of 8). Now the only thing bottlenecking my system is my AMD phenom II X4 BE 965.

Now I had hopes of getting it to 4.5 GHz or a little bot more... but I've been hitting brick walls. My RAM will NOT take any FSB over 215. It will just give bad CMOS checksum. I am not that experienced with changing timings on the RAM.

I tried increasing the voltages everywhere and going up to 10-10-10-31 no avail... currently I'm only OCing my cores using the unlocked multipliers and barely getting 4.2GHz any higher for multipliers just crashes me on prime95. Any tips on the perfect combination of timings/speed for the RAM and CPU to get me in the right direction..?

If it helps my Mobo is a biostar TA870+ (its cheap, has all the nice functions but ghetto as hell BIOS... got used to it :p )

A list...surely not all in the world, but a list still.

[OFFICIAL] LINK >> Phenom II X4 9x5 OC Club

The thread linked above was begun in April of 2009. The spreadsheets are for 955BE and 965BE. The spreadsheet claims to be current thru July of 2012. One page thru 551 pages as viewed in my browser.

955BEs show a few more high clocked cpus than the 965BEs. Maybe more people had 955s.

If you look at the cooling, the top one is phase changed. Does not count for the average user.

If you look at the top few overclocks you will see the amount of ram is 2GB and 4GB.

If you look at the top few overclocks you will see ram speeds as low DDR3 1300.

If you look at the top few overclocks you will see high Vcore and many high CPU/NB volts.

If you look at the full spreadsheet scrolled up and down, you will see the huge majority are in the <>4.0Ghz range.

The IMC (Integrated Memory Controller) on that CPU is pretty weak and generally will not allow you to run the ram at 1600 mhz and be stable. I strongly suggest changing the ram divider so that it runs at 1333 instead of 1600. And it sounds like you are actually running it at more than 1600 because you are using the fsb to overclock. You do realize, don't you that when you use the fsb to overclock than not only does the CPU speed up but also the ram, the HT Link and the CPUNB right along with it because these other frequencies are tuned to the fsb. Any one of them becomes a source of instability when they get too high. And whey are you using the fsb to overclock anyway. You have a black edition CPU with an unlocked multiplier, don't you? Much simpler to do it that way, especially if you are inexperienced as an overclocker.

We also know nothing about your cooling, your PSU, your case or your video card. Please create a "Sig" and supply more extensive information about your system that will travel with every post you make. This is standard forum etiquite. To do this, click on Quick Links at the top of the page and then click on Edit Signature. You will have access to this feature within one hour after making your second post so wait at least 60 minutes after your second post before you try it.

And yes, 4.5ghz on that CPU is a pipe dream on anything but extreme cooling, like liquid nitrogen.

Thanks for all the feedback guys!.

SOrry I wasn't clear enough in my post :/. Like i said in the original post towards the end "currently I'm only OCing my cores using the unlocked multipliers and barely getting 4.2GHz". So I am only using pstate multipliers my FSB is currently at 200MHz.

My problem is definitely not temperature. I have 10+ fans designed in a way to keep perfect air circulation plus a Z4 Rosewill heatsink. On idle I'm below 40 Celsius and on prime95 with the over clock im just shy of 60 Celsius.

My question was more in the range of is there a way to increase my FSB just a little bit (220?) without my RAM completely farting out on me :( Is there a special set of timings that will help? Because running at that or even 215 would get me 4.5 GHz ON AIR COOLING! which is the achievement I'm trying to get to :p.

Also thanks for the sig advice trents still new here couldn't find the control panel finally got it!

ADD:

Also @RGone. For reducing the speed on my RAM would it be better in benchmarks to reduce RAM and OC my FSB (which would have my whole board running just a little bit faster) or is better to keep off the extra 0.3GHz on CPU and get that extra 0.3GHz on RAM with nice timings. How crucial is it for RAM to be on high clocks?

Last edited:
You lower the ram divider, you would forexample, need to run your ram in 1333mode with a 240 fsb to keep 1600mhz.

I do find 4.2ghz to be unlikely to be stable.

It is currently for me :D running at 21X multiplier with an FSB of 200MHz. Ram still at 1600MHz. Got blessed with a very friendly chip now I want to know how far I can go with it on air cooling.

The real question is how long did you run Prime 95? Prime takes about 3-4 hours to show problems.

Furthest I could push my E0 with all cores active was 4200mhz and be stable, 4400mhz on 4/6

But your on a C3 which were known for toping out around 4000mhz. Just curious, what kind of ambient do you have?

Hmmm... my ambient is just around 20~25 degrees celcius,

And I always only run prime95 for 1 hour :/ probably bad practice.

Since I'm in the middle of work right now I can't really do that but I will try later on at night and let you know if I'm having problems at 4.2GHz with extensive prime testing.

Well with those ambient you stand a good chance of being able to do that. Sounds like you have a very good chip on your hands.

Will keep you guys updated later tonight if I'm able to hit 4.5!

ADD: Also special thanks to Rgone with the link and the RAM tips will be using those :).

Last edited:
You don't say but depending on the Vcore you have to use up till now, I would say you have a pretty darn friendly chip for sure. 59c on the core temps would be getting close to the point that instability has bitten more than just a few in the butt though. Be well man.

If 60c is the core temp then that is probably past the max stability temp of 55c we often preach around here for that series of CPUs.

Hmm thats strange. When I filed a ticket with AMD regarding some issue I had with a phenom chip they told me the max temperature they recomended for the cores was 70 celcius.

WE are not really talking about a temperature that 'hurts' a processor, but rather over the course of time quite a few posters seemed to go unstable just about the 55c cpu core mark. Certainly not a disaster of silicon fail in sight, but often just gets wonky trying to stay stable in prime and often just that odd lock-up or odd crap without other answer. Get it a tad cooler and it all disappears, is what 'trents' is referring to. No it does not happen to all, but it is much easier to try and advise in advance than chase our tails at a later time. Since that oddity is a beeatch to find.

Hmm thats strange. When I filed a ticket with AMD regarding some issue I had with a phenom chip they told me the max temperature they recomended for the cores was 70 celcius.

965BE on air to 4.5Ghz, seems more like a dream than anything I have seen in these forums.
Its possible with chilled air and a great CPU :D
If this is a brand new 965 BE, 4.2 GHz can be a target.

If he is stable in P95 for 1 hour @ 4.2, I would have him run at least 2 hours, I have one 955 here that runs 4.2 for an hour or so and at the 1 1/2 - 2 hour mark it usually craps out.

oh man... i tried running running prime over night.. crapped out at the 1.5 hour mark at 4.2 GHz. It seems to be extremely stable and cool at 4.0 though.

I will try making my memory timings higher and decreasing it to 1333MHz see if that lets me go up to 4.5Ghz.. but so far stability seems to be the issue not heat. I'll also try to be a bit more "brave" with my voltages. All due tonight... at work now-.- (wish it was already weekend!)

WE are not really talking about a temperature that 'hurts' a processor, but rather over the course of time quite a few posters seemed to go unstable just about the 55c cpu core mark. Certainly not a disaster of silicon fail in sight, but often just gets wonky trying to stay stable in prime and often just that odd lock-up or odd crap without other answer. Get it a tad cooler and it all disappears, is what 'trents' is referring to. No it does not happen to all, but it is much easier to try and advise in advance than chase our tails at a later time. Since that oddity is a beeatch to find.

I totally understand what you mean, good advice. I was always take 60 as my max. But I will definitely try to keep it cooler than that now.

OKAY.

So after trying so hard to go over 4.20GHz I simply could not, just way too hot for air cooling.

I've been waiting for a reason to upgrade to a full size tower case and I finally found it. I ditched my old medium case and order a full size one online. Should be coming in by tuesday :D Will set up all my fans then and tell if I could push this guy to 4.5 :)! Will also have much more details regarding voltages and specific clocks then.

ADD:
90+ effing degrees summer not helping T_T

Back