• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD releases Radeon-branded RAMDisk software

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

'Cuda340

Very Welcoming Senior, Premium Member #11
For anyone interested......I stumbled across this over @ TheTechReport.

AMD Radeon™ RAMDisk harnesses the untapped potential of your system's memory to deliver lightning reading and writing speed and dramatically accelerate the loading and processing times of games, web browsers and software suites.

Download your free trial today and begin creating disks up to 4GB using memory already in your system. If you've got AMD memory installed, enjoy creating disks up to 6GB (see 6GB Promotion Terms and Conditions).

Speed up internet page loads
Speed up disk-to-disk activities
Speed up PC game load times
Speed up software application loads and more

System Requirements
Memory Manufacturer: All
RAMDisk Capacity: Up to 4GB or 4096MB
Platform Compatibility: AMD or Intel-based systems
Operating System: Windows® 8, Windows 7, Windows Vista®
Installed System Memory: Minimum 4GB Recommended
Software Type: Freeware

System RAM Recommended RAM Drive Size
4GB Up to 1GB or 1024MB
6GB Up to 2GB or 2048MB
8GB Up to 4GB or 4096MB

AMD Radeon™ RAMDisk

Seems to good to be true...
but hay sounds like a brake though.

I have 2GB of total Video card memory dose this mean i can use 1 GB as a RAMdisk?

Just google ImDisk, it's free and allows unlimited size ramdisks. Also has virtual iso software built in so you can mount iso's to the ram easily.

Just google ImDisk, it's free and allows unlimited size ramdisks. Also has virtual iso software built in so you can mount iso's to the ram easily.

I will have to try ImDisk. I use RAMDisk , and it works great, but is limited to 4 GB. I mainly use RAMdisk to work on older games when modding/map making, as you can have instant loads when you test your work.

Seems to good to be true...
but hay sounds like a brake though.

I have 2GB of total Video card memory dose this mean i can use 1 GB as a RAMdisk?
It uses system memory, not video card memory. This idea has been around for a long time and is in no way new: "The first software RAM drive for microcomputers was invented and written by Jerry Karlin in the UK in 1979/80."

I will have to try ImDisk. I use RAMDisk , and it works great, but is limited to 4 GB. I mainly use RAMdisk to work on older games when modding/map making, as you can have instant loads when you test your work.

Ya, I don't get why all these freeware RamDisk programs have limits to size of the ramdisk when ImDisk does such a good job for free. I can't recommend it enough, its such a versatile program.

It uses system memory, not video card memory. This idea has been around for a long time and is in no way new: "The first software RAM drive for microcomputers was invented and written by Jerry Karlin in the UK in 1979/80."

Amen! Apparently some of our forum participants haven't been around for a long time.

It seems like such a good idea for people with 16GB of RAM or more, i guess the market just hasn't been ready for this yet; witch is why i haven't heard about it.

It seems like such a good idea for people with 16GB of RAM or more, i guess the market just hasn't been ready for this yet; witch is why i haven't heard about it.

Even for people with 8gb of RAM it's a decent idea. I have 8gb of RAM in my laptop since occasionally I run a couple VMs on it, but 80-90% of the time I don't use more than 2gb. Splitting it so I have a 4gb RAM drive and putting a few things on it, to me, seems reasonable.

Well since discovering ImDisk I don't have to install deamon tools or any other kind of virtual disk software like that. The program perfectly integrates into windows so that whenever I want to moint an iso file all I have to do is right click and the option is in the menu to mount the file.

Even if I don't make use of an actual ramdisk all the time, it's this feature alone that makes having 16gb of ram so useful.

for those interested here is where you can get it: http://www.ltr-data.se/opencode.html/

just scroll down to where it says "Download ImDisk install package"

Back