• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD Ryzen 7 1800 verses Ryzen 7 1700

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Anubis63

Registered
I am upgrading my computer to a Ryzen CPU and wanted to know if the 7 1700 are not as good as the 1800 it's allot cheaper

I am upgrading my computer to a Ryzen CPU and wanted to know if the 7 1700 are not as good as the 1800 it's allot cheaper
Mine runs @3700mhz at practically stock voltage. Can't complain tbh. I'm using a crap cooler and haven't really tired pushing it much. The cooler still has quite a bit of headroom too.

What are you planning to use the system for?

I'm a computer tech. old school and I will be using it for heavy calculations but also a gaming system

I'm a computer tech. old school and I will be using it for heavy calculations but also a gaming system
Heh. I did a statistics project using my Ryzen. It chugged numbers well. Generated my own samples via C programming.

I have no complaints gaming wise. I'm at 1080p and it plays fine even while hosting twitch via OBS.

I shouldn't complain about the 1700 when it's so cheap I will be overclocking it thinking of getting a ASUS ROG Crosshair VI Hero AMD Ryzen AM4 DDR4 M.2 USB 3.1 ATX X370 Motherboard with AURA Sync RGB Lighting $244.00 Then I need the ddr4 ram too.

If you are overclocking on ambient cooling, the 1700 tends to deliver the most bang for the buck.

So my stats project had me generate 4 sample sets, of 10 million data points each, for an encryption keystream generator simulated in C. It took it like a champ.

what you will loose between an 1800X and a 1700 ...... maybe a couple hunderd MHZ. My 1700X is chugging along happily at 4GHZ.

Ok so my purchases are Patriot Memory VIPER 4 Series 2800MHz (PC4 22400) 8GB Dual Channel DDR4, AMD Ryzen 7 1700 Processor, ASUS Prime X370-Pro AMD Ryzen AM4 DDR4 DP HDMI M.2 USB 3.1 ATX X370 Motherboard with AURA Sync RGB Lighting and a Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm AIO Enthusiast Liquid Cooling System . This should work quite well and I should be able to overclock it by a bunch. If anyone thinks differently please let me know. Thanks

I don't know what he patriot memory runs, but my crap gskill Aegis ddr4-3000 run great @ 2933 after the bios update. No issues with it what so ever. Also, if you do VMs, for playing with different clients and or servers, you may want to bump it to 16gb. Some games also tend to be less happy about 8gb ram vs 16gb (things like ark, and a couple others).

I agree with you on the 8 gigs of ram so I went ahead and bought 16. I just hope I did my homework well enough to get the system running exactly the way I want if that is even possible lol

I wish I could have seen this sooner. I would have said two things. 1st being, get the 1700 and 2nd, put the extra money towards better memory. I did quite a bit of research on the memory and with a bit of help from Johan, decided on https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820232381 They are samsung b-die memory and seem to play the best with Ryzen systems. I have my 1700 currently running at 3.9 at 1.4v.

Back