• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD Setup - Future Proofing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
DRM can't be avoided, its built into the mobo BIOS. For Bulldozer, it caused some problems with steam that was fixed with bios updates.

If you order a custom PC online and they build it for you, the system isn't bugged... The price is. You pay a lot more if you don't put it together yourself.

DDR3 is fine, no reason to wait for DDR4. AM3+ is the best socket for longevity right now. Piledriver is next, it will be on this socket: http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=695333 Beyond that there is no telling. A new socket wouldn't surprise me.

PCIe3.0 doesn't matter unless you are using multiple GPUs, and then it takes 3 or 4 to get a meaningful difference.

Idle and load temps depend on your room temperature, your HSF, and your case. It is not possible for someone to give you accurate temps. Usually people recommend staying below 65C or so for load however.

FPS in CS:S probably depends on GPU somewhat, unless a 965 gets the same FPS regardless of GPU.

Either Nvidia or AMD (hasn't been ATI since AMD bought them over a year ago) would be fine for an AMD CPU. You may want to refer to benchmarks to determine which one gives the performance you want in the games you play.

Mobo option depends on your budget. What is your budget for a motherboard for this rig?

Hope it helps. :welcome:

If you are trying to future proof through 2015 you are expecting too much. Technology changes too fast and it takes unexpected twists and turns.

in my opinion the best way to future proof is go cheap, OC like hell and ride it till your at the bottom end of things, go cheap again and OC like hell

rinse, repeat.

First of all, you don't have to worry about drm. It isn't causing anyone problems, it wont stop you from pirating movies or TV shows or music if that is your concern. However if you don't update the BIOS, you could have trouble running games on steam, which you legally own.

I like asus boards. Their ROG line, preferably the extreme versions. For a daily rig however, I would run something under the $200 mark.

wow i havent spent much over $100 lately on a motherboard and got some very good ones. seems to me that the prices for this added features is rising

I find I tend to go in at the mid range when it comes to CPU's and mainboards, then overclock it a little for higher end performance. Works for me. I'm personally expecting to move to Piledriver as a drop in upgrade with my current board, then I'll buy a few more bits and make a LAN pc with my existing CPU.

I don't believe that is DRM true purpose, it's just an excuse so that they can monitor everybodies activity much like the soon to be RFID chips on humans. Call that extreme but we really have no idea what nonsense does inside our chip but limited by only what they tell you. Now you realize that this is why i'm avoiding DRM so much and not just because of so called 'piracy'.

I think you need to cancel your season pass for the paranoia train bro. This day in age if you dont want other people to know what sites you visit or which games your playing just stay off the internet all together. DRM is here to stay and its not a way for people to spy on you, google, yahoo, and every other major content indexer already know what your doing so why would they go out of there way to get it on the hardware.

Good luck with your new build, try to relax a bit though.

^^^ ssjwizard makes an excellent point. The closest you can get to DRM free is by running a Linux distro which doesn't support all that junk. You can run some basic stuff like MS Office on in by using WINE though really beyond basic internet use I'd stay away from playing with it unless you've a second computer to run it on and play with it. I've an old Core2Duo notebook I run Linux Mint on and I love this as my daily internet computer.

When you say a little overclock do you mean you'll need a good cooling system like liquid? because that's what i was told from steampowered forums or just something affordable example freeze 7 pro rev2?

No need for liquid with those chips unless you want to really push the chip further than you could on air. A Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO is a good budget cooler that will net a decent overclock, however personally I'd recommend high end air like my Noctua NH-D14 ;)

Yes i also will move to piledriver if it's any good but only when it goes down in price because i'm investing most of the money into the gfx card and right now calculating the price between me building it or computerplanet.co.uk just as to compare the ultimate price, the thing that most put me off from building computers was back in duo 2 time lol and i was trying to fit the stock heatsink but it was horrible experience and felt many of times that i was actually breaking my mobo so it became stuck that in the end i got some tools from outside any i could and just got it off my mobo and had to order rev2 heatsink which was a better fit :D

Which would you recommend Phenom II X4 965 or 975?

If these are Black Edition chips and you're overclocking its kind of irrelevant. 955BE, 965BE if its unlocked it doesn't matter. Both the Hyper 212 EVO and Noctua NH-D14 use their own retention mechanisms, though I've found the Noctua to be the easier of the two to install. Make sure you install the base retention mechanism for each of these before you put the mainboard inside the case or you may run into issues.

btw atm the gfx card i have in mind is, i hope it's good as it's made out to be. I don't want another heating XFX 1GB HD4870 that broke me on me and did nothing for the games i played on at even low res.

XFX is a premium brand and you'd be hard pressed to buy a bad product with them. You'll be right with that ;)

Dont bother yourself too- much on future proofing.
multicore chips have changed everything...
with intel IB and AMD PD its almost impossible to see what the future holds.....their success depends on the material science's department refining newer manufacturing processes. Chip making is more like converting science fiction into reality --- for commerce.
I agree with the others..
ddr4 is a new standard..... imagine it in 2014
Any new system with over the top specs or even calculated budget specs will last you a long time.....
think of it as longevity and not future-proofing.

DDR4 is more likely to affect the performance of APU's than CPU's. GPU core like bandwidth so thats what will see the biggest boost.

I just bought an ASUS board with UEFI BIOS. As far as I can tell the DRM needs a feature called Secure Boot which lets the OS "register" the system to that copy and can restrict which programs can and cannot run in the OS. I did not see anything for Secure Boot while in the BIOS but this could also be masked and may need an additional program to access it. The big win here I feel is that it does not give a damn that I'm running Linux (nor should it). So I think the bulk of the concerns are related to pre-built systems where the vendor can lock you into a specific OS and limit which programs you can use, that is, if it gets that far. If anything ever gets too out of control I can guarantee that server based boards will not have these restrictions as too many high performance and enterprise customers do not need the headaches involved in working this around their custom environments.

Microsoft wants drm to run on systems running windies 8. Once windies is installed it will lock down the system in the bios thereby not allowing you to install linux, bsd etc. Mobo manufacturers want their systems to support windies so they have to obey whatever microsoft says.
They then released a statement that they wont do this. Again now it is unsure whether they will implement DRM..

corsair 400r -- 20.5" x 8.1" x 19.8"
nzxt tempest 410 -- 19.53" x 8.46" x 18.94"

both cabbies will provide superb system cooling .... corsair 400r is very good quality and superb cooling capability......the side panel has holes for more ventilation but nzxt is wider . Nzxt tempest 410 supports 140 mm fan ..which means cfm fan and faster heat ejection. both support lots of fans.
if you are using dual tower heatsing for cpu you will have to look into lian li ...they are excellent. Ask someone if nzxt will support large heatsinks...it does have bottom fan support and is a smarter choice but if you want CPU+GPU liquid cooling then it has to be 400r.

corsair 400r is specially built for liquid cooling. CPU+GPU...
the 460 does produce terrible temps and liquid cooling would be better:mad:

Just a suggestion 560ti's in sli will produce much more less heat or even better 2x 7870 xfired ...lot less heat and low power consumption...

correction 7950 price dropped and is similar to 7870..
2x 7950:cool::cool: ...best choice now.

Still you if you might have budget restrictions ...then might liquid cool your sli'ed gtx 460 in 400r...along with CPU.

Windows XP really does feel incredibly slow compared to 7...... It was simply not developed with modern hardware in mind. It would be a waste of a nice system to run it..... :(

SSD's are definitely worthwhile. The biggest upgrade you can get in a system really. Lets put it this way, in general use you could get near the bottom of the range AMD kit with an SSD and general operation in Windows would be significantly faster than top of the range Intel.... SSD's are worth it.

That PSU is still and OCZ, not sure how good it is but at least it won't be a complete piece of junk so you should be able to power your current setup of it no worries. What wattage is it?

i agree with mjw21a
win xp is too archaic to run on anything new. Not to mention microsoft's EOL for xp. There are cpu optimizations on win 7 not to mention less memory overhead and better cpu governor that will instantaneously throttle down freq's when needed . Win 8 will still use lesser memory......

SSD's are no more a marketing gimmick. They are rock solid. Price cuts are on the way this year which means less than $1 per GB. They provide over the top performance boosts with low power consumption.

Back