• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Amd suitability?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Valk no need of the CHV-z board as the Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 is stout for sure. There are some extras on the CHV boards to allow bios changes from a laptop when the board is used with LN2 or DICE or liquid Helium. Not a must for water cooliing.

asrock extreme 3 is certainly not recommended for 6 or 8 core FX processors. Cheap and they act cheap. We have user right now trying to overclock one and he is in deep Kimchi.
RGone...ster.

I have both the Sabertooth R2 and a CHV-z, they are practically identical aside from some pretty lights, a power switch and a few more bios settings. I have beaten the Sabertooth pretty hard and it's still ticking away. They will both run the 8 cores wery well and one doesn't OC better than the other.
I can whole heartedly recommend the Sabertooth R2 to any one. It even handles my 9370 well.

I'm with RGone and Johan as well .... I have both the CHV and CHVz as well as the Sabertooth R2. The big difference between the Sabertooth and CHV is some bells and whistles and tri Crossfire and SLI I believe. If you are looking for a good board and to spend as little as possible find a Sabertooth R2 of Asrock Extreme 9 with my preference to the Sabertooth R2.

sabertooth it is! maybe I can find a used one even. though for the kind of savings on computer gear i might as well buy it new.
ill be doing a bunch of upgrades to my watercooling for this build. ditching the lianli v600 and building a testbest type chassis into a new desk i want to build. cpu will have its own drawer in the desk and watercooling its own seperate one.

i have a bip3 right now which keeps my c2d at ambient in all operating conditions, id expect the fx8320 to push the limits of that rad in 7volt fan config so id probably add a second rad to the loop. maybe a 2x140 or similar. im gonna do some posting over in the watercool section again and find out about distributed cooling. meaning running a loops to chill the water, and all the guts of the computer drawing their own coolant instead of being part of one massive highly restrictive loop.

obviously the 93xx cpus are much more expensive than the 8xxx but is there any advantage with them? i havent found any benchmarks which would give me a much better idea of how the 8320 will match the i5. but if the 8320 comes in $100-$150 less i could care less honestly as whatever i buy is gonna be 2-3 times more powerful than what i have lol.

last order or business is of course, powering the beast. i dont expect to be a multi gpu gamer, but if i got into this cryptocurency thing, which i think im already severely late to the party for, i might add gpus.
would This PSU be a decent place to be?
i have an antec he550 watt that i dont think will work. has 3x 18amp rails and has some wicked 12v droop even with my c2d system.

That Strider series should be enough for what you are running. I run my W/P off 120VAC so no draw on my power supply. So see what the DC draw on +12V would add up to and I expect without top of the line high draw Video cards (more than one) that 750 Strider should do well. I hear mining is on the down-hill side. At least for a while.
RGone...ster.

ill probably use a dedicated dc power supply to run the liquid cooling. im trying to design this liquid system so i can pull out components without having to rebuild the loop. might investigate the use of peltiers for this purpose. all the advantages of the closed loop systems people are buying now but the massive cooling capability of huge rads and 300+ gpm flow rate.
if all the apogee drive has to cool is the cpu, the pump in it is pretty damn good. id love somthing similar for the gpu and chipset units but ddcs are pretty expensive for one device a peice. if i could adapt the apogee drive for gpu use though, might be an option.

basically, im sick of having my computer being a clusterphuc mess of tubes and wires. i want this clean, easy to service and able to add to without a total rebuild.

i could step up to 1000 watts if it would help things though. assume all the watercooling parts will be running off their own 12v 20 amp psu. that includes all fans that the motherboard doesnt need to see ect.

I picked up a great 1K for my rig in the classifieds here at a great price too. There are quite a few review samples that pass through here. One thing Mandrake and I have seen is the huge power draw you can get if you're really kicking it in the teeth.

obviously the 93xx cpus are much more expensive than the 8xxx but is there any advantage with them? i havent found any benchmarks which would give me a much better idea of how the 8320 will match the i5. but if the 8320 comes in $100-$150 less i could care less honestly as whatever i buy is gonna be 2-3 times more powerful than what i have lol.

Valk, depends on what you are looking for, if it's just a stable daily overclock, from what I've seen the 8320 will run around the same mhz as a 8350 on water. Meaning, the majority of us that I've seen run around 4.6-4.8 on water daily. The 8320 should be able to do that as well. As far as a comparison the the I5 processors in single threaded apps the Intels will still out perform the AMD, this is also dependent on the OC. In multithreaded apps the AMD is equal to better at. If you're looking to push the pee out of it, I'm not really sure how far the 8320's go I haven't seen many come through here, that are really pushed hard.

last order or business is of course, powering the beast. i dont expect to be a multi gpu gamer, but if i got into this cryptocurency thing, which i think im already severely late to the party for, i might add gpus.
would This PSU be a decent place to be?
As far as a PSU goes, it is going to depend again on how hard you're going to push and what Gpu/gpu's you'll be running. Here's a pic of my wattage drawn from the wall with my 8350 @ 5.2 and my GTX 580 OCed running heaven and prime 95 just to see how much it would pull. Also you should read through this thread, is a place where mostly us AMD people just post random stuff. There is some really good info in it if you take the time to read through it all.

Back