• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Amd thermal margins

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

asomeone

I just built my first pc and did my best to do my homework before asking any questions. I've been using it for a few weeks now and have done varied gaming from borderlands to city skylines, all games always run on max settings. I get thermal margins of 5.5c steady and from what I've read this isn't too great. I was getting 4.4 until I reapplied the thermal paste to the cpu. I'm using a cooler master hyper t2 since ive read the stock cooler is inadequate for much gaming. Currently I'm idle around 45c (margin) while doing basic web browsing, music, etc. I have maximized my fan space and have upgraded all my fans to aftermarket. I have them hooked up to a fan controller and running at 100% almost always. The other two fans are plugged into the mother board and are aftermarket. I went into the bios and changed the target temps so the fans rev up at a lower temperature but I still have the same margins. I just want to make sure this margin is safe. I'm overclocked to 4.2ghz. I also used Acrtic thermal paste just to clarify it wasn't crappy paste. I got my load numbers from amd overdrive and while torture testing the pc i got the steady 5.5c. my TEMPIN0 temp is 62c, tempino1 is 74c, tempin2 is 44c. I experience no thermal throttling. In overdrive I see the frequency switch from 3500 to 4200 but it never has any other numbers. My VID varies between 1.3 and 1.487 when it switches to 1.3 the frequency changes to 3500. It never stays at 3500 for more then a second before switching back to 4200. I posted this to another forum and didn't get much of any answers. I'm not too concerned about this since I get no thermal throttling from what I can see but I know its never good to run hot. I was considering buying a water cooler but I'd rather find the root of the problem before I upgrade the cooler any more. These numbers seem like numbers id see with a stock cooler. Please, any help would be greatly appreciated.
if it matters my setup is as follow
AMD Anthlon 860k
Radeon R9 270
2 g skill 2133mhz ram
msi gaming a88xm
corsair 600w
cooler master hyper t2
sanddisk ssd+toshiba hd
Futurus case
Screenshot (6).png

Thermal margin?

If those are actual temperatures, you are fine, however, what are stress test temps?

Also VID is a static value...your stock voltage. Beyond that it is vcore.

Thermal margin?

If those are actual temperatures, you are fine, however, what are stress test temps?

Also VID is a static value...your stock voltage. Beyond that it is vcore.

Appreciate the fast answer.
The temps in the photo are while running the "torture test" have it running in the background. The displayed temps in the AMD overdrive is the thermal margin numbers.

for the Amd's I most people suggest going by the thermal margin numbers. I dont know though, just what I've been reading.

I've been an AMD guy for near 20 years, and I've never read that anywhere. :shrug:

for the Amd's I most people suggest going by the thermal margin numbers. I dont know though, just what I've been reading.
Going by AOD, you have just under 6C until you've hit AMD's max temp for the CPU..
At this point, you need a better cooler to overclock higher.
I've been an AMD guy for near 20 years, and I've never read that anywhere. :shrug:
+1

Don't know the max temps on this chip, but usually it's 62C for AMD, with a max of 70C for the socket.

The APU or at least my 7850K I didn't really trust temp monitoring software AMDOD was the most accurate but does use or list the thermal margin. So yes you are fast running out of cooling, better cooling is needed.

The APU or at least my 7850K I didn't really trust temp monitoring software AMDOD was the most accurate but does use or list the thermal margin. So yes you are fast running out of cooling, better cooling is needed.

Great okay, getting somewhere here. What would the recommendation be? I have rosewill aftermarket fans all around. I can support up to a 175mm air cooler or a 240mm water cooler. I was hoping to spend less then 50 on the cooler but if needed I'd put a bit more in.

That thermal margin on AMD OverDrive is a core thermal margin which may not be accurate to the THERMTRIP of that particular processor.

However it looks accurate to the reading in HWMonitor running 113c package (core) temp. This temp can be concerning if it reaches ThermTrip, the board will shut right off for you.

The 62c is a socket (CPU) reading that does not reflect actual processor temperatures but is the temp reading the motherboard is displaying an isn't really too high IMO.

tempino1 is 74c - Is likely motherboard VRM package area temps. I'd put a fan on these as this heat transfers to the CPU socket temp and visa versa.

I experience no thermal throttling.

You won't usually ^ while manually overclocking and the VRMs aren't hot enough.

It's a decent overclock. Turn off Cool and Quiet and Turbo.

On the a88xm they already put large heatsinks over their vrm chips. I have the baord positioned that these heat sinks are very close to the venting fans. I'm going shopping for parts at my local micro center tomorrow. Do you think I should buy a few 40mm fans to mount nearby the vrm modules? I was thinking about getting the cm hyper 212 evo or a corsair hydro series cooler.

40mm fans are a good-but-loud idea.

I'm sure the EVO 212 will handle that chip, see what other say first though. I have never played with any chips like that

I got the Evo 212 and a 40mm fan for the vrm today. Took a bit to get everything installed and wired up but now that it is it is crazy how much my temps have improved. Under load I get such better margins and overall temperatures. I'm just surprised that the T2 couldn't handle this chip. The Evo was a tight squeeze the end of the heatsink pipes are just touching the panel of my case, I'm really glad it fit. Thank you all for your help I really do appreciate it.

The screenshot is under full load while running prime95. Screenshot (7).png

Funny how good the EVO still is nowadays, i would've thought there might be more advanced/better single tower coolers by now. On wife's S340 he handled my 8370 at 4.4ghz for a couple weeks with temps peaking ~55c :) quite an impressive cooler for its price when you double vent it.

Funny how good the EVO still is nowadays, i would've thought there might be more advanced/better single tower coolers by now. On wife's S340 he handled my 8370 at 4.4ghz for a couple weeks with temps peaking ~55c :) quite an impressive cooler for its price when you double vent it.
+1 They are solid coolers for cheap.

Glad it's working for you asomeone!

Back