• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD XP1800 Tred, Plus Prometeia Overclocking results.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
2.2V on a 0.13micron chip!!!! Doesnt matter about temperature but that voltage will hurt that chip in time! Great overclock all the same.

oc detective, the amds are not like p4's, ppl have been runnin 2200+ cpus at 2.2v since june and not a single one has been reported dead of high voltage

ok my original CPU was a XP 2700.
I fried that about a week ago when I first got my prometeia, cause I had constant problems getting the microfreezer attached properly, it would always lean to the left, leaving the right side untouched.
this burnt my CPU almost instantly after clearing the CMOS jumper cause CPU protection is off by default on this board.

so now my main hardware is...

Abit KD7 raid.
XP 1800 thoroughbred.
Corsair XMS 3500.
80 gig western digital SE drive.
R9700, water cooled videocard and northbridge.
prometeia cools the CPU.

I have loaded this chip at 2.35 volts.
if anyones really curious I can do it again and get a screen shot for you. it hardly seems like anything really throws the temps of the prometeia off.
it's at 2.1 v right now, been running prime 95 for about 8 hours and it's still going fine, and the temps show...

-33 at this moment.

I am gonna let it burn in alittle more for about 2-3 days, then see if I can make 2400 mhz.
I might install 2000 pro if XP pro won't do it.
I am not expecting much more then what I have already gotten, but who knows maybe I can squeeze alittle more outta this.

well pinky, if you run a P4 at 2.2v it will be dead in a month at the max, probably in a few weeks.

seein how ppl have been runnin tbreds at 2.2v for well over a month straight, it shows that these atleast hold up a LOT better than northwoods under high voltages

Dragon_Engineer, when you get your Prometeia, take it slow....
very slow, read everything and if you have a problem be patient enough to email chip-con and wait for a answer.
I killed my XP-2700 cause I thought I could fix everything myself, till my computer wouldn't post and I took the microfreezer off, and saw a hole the size of a cigarette burn in it.

my impatience cost me almost 450 dollars, the cost of the XP 2700 dead, and the cost of a XP 1800.

Emericana said:
well pinky, if you run a P4 at 2.2v it will be dead in a month at the max, probably in a few weeks.

seein how ppl have been runnin tbreds at 2.2v for well over a month straight, it shows that these atleast hold up a LOT better than northwoods under high voltages

Well, that's 33% increase in core voltage which is raher risky anyways.

Lets see how they hold up over time though.

Yodums

Emericana said:

We're free to do what we want with our hardware, but being 'egged-on' by our fellow overclocker into a dangerous realm is unconscionable.

I refuse to engage in encouraging members to go down a mathematically dangerous path with their hardware (any voltage overclock of 25+% of the default is dangerous as Yodums has said). Great cooling keeps death at bay, but it does not prevent it. Eventually the core will die a premature death... likely VERY premature.

I will not endorse doing this to any processor, especially one that is not mine to kill. It's great to see the numbers, but they are not practical for 99% of us overclockers to achieve... therefore, it's not something I will endorse as a "norm", "standard", or remote "likelihood".

If I can find the article OC Detective I'll provide the link.What I meant to state was from what I've read 2.2 will bring the CPUs life down to a year.But not knowing how old the article was that I read it could have been for the older AMD CPUs.

wow...cant believe no one asked for benchmarks..so where are they?

btw..you have such sweet ram..why dont you try to up the fsb and lower the multi? and get even more performance

Pinky said:

We're free to do what we want with our hardware, but being 'egged-on' by our fellow overclocker into a dangerous realm is unconscionable.

I refuse to engage in encouraging members to go down a mathematically dangerous path with their hardware (any voltage overclock of 25+% of the default is dangerous as Yodums has said). Great cooling keeps death at bay, but it does not prevent it. Eventually the core will die a premature death... likely VERY premature.

I will not endorse doing this to any processor, especially one that is not mine to kill. It's great to see the numbers, but they are not practical for 99% of us overclockers to achieve... therefore, it's not something I will endorse as a "norm", "standard", or remote "likelihood".

For many of us overclockers a Vcore around 2.0-2.2v is practical. People who watercool Palominos have been at 2.2V for months without any problems. I've had my XP 1600+ between 2.1-2.2V since August and it still runs fine. I accept the risk that it will die one day(maybe soon) and without warning but for a $50 chip thats a risk I'm willing to take. The same goes for everyone else who severely overvolts. If they accept the risk of a 25% overvolt then thats fine, the Tbred 1800+ is not the most expensive chip either. Now you are absolutely right that this will lead to a premature death, but I don't think we really know how premature. Part of overclocking is voiding warranties and doing things that the hardware wasn't meant to do. Now I agree that it isn't advisable to run a Tbred at 2.2V as its a 0.13 micron chip and will probably die quicker but these chips haven't been around long enough to see the ramifications.

Back